Author Topic: Neat Tool Makes Any Size Hose Clamp Out Of Wire  (Read 824 times)

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
Neat Tool Makes Any Size Hose Clamp Out Of Wire
« on: October 16, 2017, 01:52:17 PM »
A good tool to have on hand used to make universal sized hose clamps out of lock or safety wire. DIY Ingenuity in action…first watch this video to see the OEM product, which is pretty neat unto itself, in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of9p70H7gdg

Now check out this thread about a DIY version that came about due to insane international postage rates:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post1000142.html#p1000142

But after checking out the OEM’s page at http://clamptitetools.net/ wowzer are their tools expensive. I’ll just stick with the DIY version thank you very much!

BTW I found this on an awesome FB page: https://www.facebook.com/homemadetools/ or www.homemadetools.net .

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Neat Tool Makes Any Size Hose Clamp Out Of Wire
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
I’ve got a big and small Clamptite. They’re not as gimmicky as you might think, but they are expensive. 

They work pretty well after a bit of fiddling and practice to get the hang of it, but there’s no way to avoid wasting more wire than you actually use on most smaller diameter clamping projects. But within those limitations it does work extremely well and can apply a whole bunch of clamping power in those odd situations where you need it. 

Works best with the recommended stainless wire on their site, it’s really tough stuff.

Just found this old thread I started on it back in the day:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=24643.msg272068#msg272068
23:57:30

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:51:20 AM »
That is neat, but yes, way too expensive.  DIY is the way to go.
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »
There's quite a few DIY videos out there.  All look fairly simple to carry out.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:40:02 PM »
I’ve got a big and small Clamptite. They’re not as gimmicky as you might think, but they are expensive. 

They work pretty well after a bit of fiddling and practice to get the hang of it, but there’s no way to avoid wasting more wire than you actually use on most smaller diameter clamping projects. But within those limitations it does work extremely well and can apply a whole bunch of clamping power in those odd situations where you need it. 

Works best with the recommended stainless wire on their site, it’s really tough stuff.

Just found this old thread I started on it back in the day:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=24643.msg272068#msg272068

How well does this work on actual equipment?  What i mean is, it looks like you need some room around the hose connection to wrap the wire and finally flip the tool around.  Do you find that not to be an issue, or does it limit the applications for which it can be used?  I'm thinking many engine compartments these days do not leave much room and just getting a spring wire clamp on can be a challenge.

Also, I assume from the video this is a single use clamp, right?  If you need to replace the hose later, or disconnect to access something else, then you need to wrap a new clamp. Correct?

Finally, does this make tight enough connection for say an emergency hydraulic hose connection?

Despite my questions I can see this as be extremely useful for someone like a farmer that maintains several different machines/engines, and/or lives remotely and can't just run into town every time a hose cracks.  Also could be very useful for emergency plumbing repairs.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »
With the heavier wire you might be able to achieve lock with a little more than 90 degrees of tool rotation, but that’s still not enough to squeeze into really tight engine compartments.

While I’ve never used it on high pressure hoses, I’d wager it would work fine, and for longer than any other temporary solution.  With high quality SS wire these clamps have great durability, plus an extremely low profile.

The installed wire clamps are one time use, you have to cut them off. Like I said before, you waste a lot of wire using this thing, because you need to wrap a bunch of it around the tool to withstand the force involved with stretching the clamp tight. I have a little box of wire scraps with curly cues in them. Believe me, don’t try to skimp on the wire if you don’t want it to pull through the tool during tightening. Wrap those trailing ends three or four times around those perpendicular posts and then twist them together.  Friction is your friend, and that takes ample wire length.

I’ve used this tool the most for repairing splitting wood handles and posts.  You can’t beat the strength and low profile in that application.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »
I just realized that they're selling a 10" version as their largest model, which means my "big" one is actually the medium size now.  Dang, with enough 0.25" wire you could repair a split telephone pole with that thing!

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »
Digging on the site...

Would it be possible to use this as an impromptu clamp? Some of the woodwork I do requires oddball clamping methods like hose clamps. Also, possibly an addition to the BOB?

I've got Amazon open and hovering over buy now. hose clamps have given me fits over the years. Even if I only used this for my dust collection and backyard hoses it might be worth the price.

And then there's the curse. Any tool Freelancer buys I suddenly have to have.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »
Digging on the site...

Would it be possible to use this as an impromptu clamp? Some of the woodwork I do requires oddball clamping methods like hose clamps. Also, possibly an addition to the BOB?

I've got Amazon open and hovering over buy now. hose clamps have given me fits over the years. Even if I only used this for my dust collection and backyard hoses it might be worth the price.

You could probably use it to clamp an oak barrel together, if you needed to. I’ve used it for dust collection purposes, too.  Anything you’d use a hose clamp on this will work on, as well or better, but it’s not as quick or easy.  It’s a versatile tool, but a bit fiddly in use, especially when you start, so just be prepared to waste a bunch of wire.  And don’t cheap out on the wire if you want a strong durable clamp.  That 304 stainless stuff works really well for most applications.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
You could probably use it to clamp an oak barrel together, if you needed to. I’ve used it for dust collection purposes, too.  Anything you’d use a hose clamp on this will work on, as well or better, but it’s not as quick or easy.  It’s a versatile tool, but a bit fiddly in use, especially when you start, so just be prepared to waste a bunch of wire.  And don’t cheap out on the wire if you want a strong durable clamp.  That 304 stainless stuff works really well for most applications.

Cool tool.

Any specs on the wire? Can it be purchased cheaper through MSC, McMaster, or Zoro?
~Derek

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? ~ Proverbs 6:6-9

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 01:00:14 PM »

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »
That does look pretty cool.

I've been making hose clamps out of plumbers tape or pallet strapping ever since I came across a guy on youtube showing how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=608jppPC9xY

He also had a tool to make clamp from wire using a set of slip joint pliers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJd0M99T3IE

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
Any specs on the wire? Can it be purchased cheaper through MSC, McMaster, or Zoro?

Looks like standard safety wire, stainless.

Yes. 

I've experimented with coat hangers and cheap baling wire, but nothing beats SS safety lock wire.  I think I wind up using the 0.041" the most with my smaller bronze T-nut clamptite tool.

Online machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Bailing wire and a set of pliers works just fine for me as a field expedient fix. Don't see how this does much better, though the wire is probably stronger. Either way, I'd replace it with a proper hose clamp as soon as possible.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: Today at 05:02:24 PM »
Mine arrived today. Looking forward to goofing off.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?