Author Topic: spring closed jars for pickling  (Read 1629 times)

Offline bigfish

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
spring closed jars for pickling
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:44:10 PM »
Hi All,

What is the proper usage for pickling in spring closed mason jars like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Fido-Clear-4-Ounce/dp/B0001BMYGQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1508044400&sr=8-6&keywords=preserving+jars

I'm experienced at pickling in a crock pot, but it's not clear to me how to store pickled vegetables in the jars.

Will they keep without refrigeration?
If so, for how long?
Won't the fermentation gasses cause the water to be forced out?

So much good info in this forum! Loving it...

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: spring closed jars for pickling
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 03:13:35 AM »
It seems they are not recommended any longer for home canning but are suitable for dry or refrigerated storage.

http://www.healthycanning.com/bail-type-lids/

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
Hi Bigfish,

I haven't tried storing my fermented veges in the jars you mention, but I would think they would be OK since I don't actually can my fermented veges, but simply close them up with a lid and ring and put in the frig once I'm happy with the fermented taste. I'm not really experienced on room temp storage of fermented things like you mention, but I know it can be done... perhaps someone else can chime in on how long (or with what method) to store them at room temp.

As for actually fermenting the foods in the jars, I would think you wouldn't want to actually close them completely with the rubber seal since the fermentation gases need to have a means of escape during the fermentation process... You would also want some means of keeping the veges submerged below the brine.  I always do my sauerkraut batches in a crock and then transfer them to mason jars for refrigerator storage.

Have you checked out the fermented food thread? There is a ton of good info there...

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
I always do my sauerkraut batches in a crock and then transfer them to mason jars for refrigerator storage.

Same. Unless you have a root cellar that stays below 50 degrees, I don't think there's a way to store fermented foods outside the fridge. The fridge generally slows the fermentation process enough that gases aren't really a problem, it's no different from opening a beer or soda. Most sources I've read say that most foods generally keep a few months in the fridge, though some can be longer or shorter. This is my favorite book for fermented stuff, lots of good info and recipes.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
you can often keep lacto-fermented pickles in the fridge for a year, till cucumber season is in again. Seems like sourkraut doesnt keep as long

Offline bigfish

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:25:56 AM »
Looks like those jars are fine for storage of fermented foods only while in a fridge, or at least a root cellar.

Thanks for the info everybody, big help!