Author Topic: Long Shelf Life Foods?  (Read 383 times)

Offline marco

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Long Shelf Life Foods?
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »
I live in southern florida & we had a nasty hurricane. Fortunately i & my condo escaped any harm. Before the hurricane I stocked up on canned goods that did not require refrigeration or cooking plus an abundance of bottled purified water. I would like to know what plastic packaged supermarket foods i should purchase that has a long shelf life? Two year shelf life is fine. I considered packaged fig newtons & twinkies  but don't know their shelf life. All suggestions appreciated.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Long Shelf Life Foods?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »
The fig Newtons and Twinkies would be morale booster (I have pan fried chocolate chip cookies on the woodstove more than once during long storms/ power outages), and should be in your LTS.

Plastic (ugh,.  ok)... Tuna and salmon pouches. Chicken salad comes in those pouches as well. Pretzel sticks last long time. I'd go with peanut butter and pretzel type things which are fatter and no salt... No idea the brand name. How about the xnack packs with cheese and crackers? Spam is edible out of the can, i prefer the low sodium one.

Tang or koolaide to flavour water.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Online Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:34:10 AM »
I found that some of the normal items that come in cardboard box (or thin plastic covering) could be repackaged to convert them from short term to longer term.

Oatmeal (instant) vac pack
Instant  coffee - while in plastic, I pour the contents into mason jars
Rice in mason jars
Pasta in - well, you get the idea.
Instant mashed potatoes, flavored

There are more flavors of spam, and they do come in the plastic wrapped pouches. And they do have turkey spam.
Hormel has some shelf stabilized food items, not sure if you get a full 2 years on the shelf life.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:46:17 AM »
Plastic...

I'm going to assume this means you have no access to tools or cooking methods.

I'd be looking at nuts, beef jerky, chips and salsa, granola bars, craisins, sunflower seeds, etc. I'd do recon on what the hot items for hikers are. Also (plastic allowed) throw a case of vodka in the closet. Good for many uses, even if it merely makes a neighbor happy.

Not to be a jerk, but a can opener and a cheap camp stove give you vastly more options.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:22:54 AM »
  Many sausage type meats come in airtight seals and are good for a couple of years and don't forget ,the gift you keep on giving,....FRUITCAKE is high calorie and lasts forever. I also suggest grits,yakisoba,and many other dry ,noodle type meals as low cost and they fill you up meals.

I also make pancakes or breakfast cakes with the packaged angle food cake mix (the one that has egg in the mix) and all you need is water and a hot pan...and your imagination to make some good ,sweet pancakes and other breakfast cakes and sweet treats.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:29:26 AM »
Not to be a jerk, but a can opener and a cheap camp stove give you vastly more options.

Alot more. And I'd consider learning how to use a 'haybox'. I tried it a few years ago when I did my British WW2 rations challenge. They did it as a way to conserve fuel...it s basically like a slow cooker. I used a plastic food cooler with a Crock-Pot or dutch oven inside, with a bunch of towels and blankets under, around it and o er the top before the lid was shut. I use this alot for making yogurt too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haybox
http://thermalcooker.wordpress.com/category/thermal-cookers/haybox/

Cedar
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:41:22 AM by Cedar »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
ground nuts are easy to grow anywhere except in deserts or very dry conditions, the tubers are easy to keep viable in some moist dirt and can be either eaten or replanted in the spring if stored that way in the winter.

Ground nuts have a good amount of protein and carbs and are considered the most nutritious wild food in north america. They where eaten by the native americans
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:08:38 AM by surfivor »