Author Topic: Firecord  (Read 996 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Firecord
« on: October 18, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
     I just replaced the zipper pulls on all of my packs with Firecord (at least that's what I think it's called). I think its a UST product and I had bought a hank of it at Walmart some time ago; seemed like a good idea, just never got around to doing anything with it. It appears to be paracord with the usual internal strand, but with the addition of a red strand that is flammable. The outer sheath is a striped orange and grey; you won't mistake it for regular paracord. The idea is to strip the red strand out to use as tinder. The red strand appears to be waxed cotton thread. It can be separated into a nice fuzz ball. I couldn't get it to light with a fero rod. It did light like gangbusters with a BIC. I'm sure a few magnesium shavings from a magnesium bar and then the fero rod would work. The cord is just a little stiffer than standard paracord. I don't think I'd use it for tent/tarp rope, but for a couple of bucks, it gives you another option for firestarting. I didn't try it wet, have to do that.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Firecord
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
  Interesting product.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »
Yes, this looks very intersting.  Here is one brand on Amazon.:

https://www.amazon.com/FireCord-Live-Fire-Gear-Paracord/dp/B00R8N4HBA?th=1&psc=1

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »
     Too bad it's bright orange; it might make a good replacement shoelace. Maybe some other manufacturer makes it in a more subdued color.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
     Too bad it's bright orange; it might make a good replacement shoelace. Maybe some other manufacturer makes it in a more subdued color.

The Amazon link above is a good ,subdued ,OD/Charcoal weave ...that should fit your boots.

But I just carry some of the 20 second burn matches that do a good fire when properly tendered and prepared for and though the firecord will be an extra,you still get no fire without good dry tender.I also carry firesteel,zippo and cricket lighters  besides the 'lifeboat' matches and 'regular' waterproof matches.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:18:07 PM by Carl »

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »
     I agree Carl, you can't have too many options when it comes to firestarting.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »
Wouldn't fire cord boot laces or such be a bit risky around campfires, welding, etc?  Just seems like a strange combination.  I would rather have distinct fire making tinder, rather than embed into into other products. It would just be my luck to try to escape a wildfire and have my pants belt, boot laces, compass lanyard, watch band burst into flame and I end up running out of the woods half nekked and lost!
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 11:02:40 PM »
Wouldn't fire cord boot laces or such be a bit risky around campfires, welding, etc?  Just seems like a strange combination.  I would rather have distinct fire making tinder, rather than embed into into other products. It would just be my luck to try to escape a wildfire and have my pants belt, boot laces, compass lanyard, watch band burst into flame and I end up running out of the woods half nekked and lost!

It should be safe.  Since the strand is inside, it is insulated from heat and no oxygen can get to it.  The fire would have to burn through the outer material first.  In other words, you would have to be on fire already.

That said you do bring up an interesting point on clothing.  One of my friends is a helicopter pilot and he will wear no synthetic materials because he believes that they will "melt" during an accident causing extreme burns.  Is there some proof of this?  I am not sure.  But he really believes it.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 04:28:29 AM »
  Long gone are the days that nearly explosive kindling could be purchased by just ordering a set of children's Pajamas.

And YES,synthetics can be very dangerous around fire and some chemicals.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 07:34:19 AM »
  Long gone are the days that nearly explosive kindling could be purchased by just ordering a set of children's Pajamas.

And YES,synthetics can be very dangerous around fire and some chemicals.

Indeed, it looks like the flammability and "melting" aspect is real.  Many accident reports cite it, for example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Air_Lines_Flight_212

During the investigation the issue of the flammability of passengers' clothing materials was raised. There was evidence that passengers who wore double-knit synthetic fiber clothing articles sustained significantly worse burn injuries during the post-crash fire than passengers who wore articles made from natural fibers.[8]

It is also on a number of the government travel websites like this one from Austrailia:

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/what-wear

Clothing

Wearing clothes made of natural fibres such as cotton, wool, denim and leather offer the best protection during an evacuation or fire. Synthetic fibres (rayon, polycotton and nylon, including hosiery, wigs, hairpieces, scarves, ties and underwear) can become very hot and melt causing first, second and even third degree burns.

Avoid leaving large areas of the body uncovered. Steer clear of shorts or skirts because they do not cover extremities. Wear non-restrictive clothing as this allows you greater movement.

By placing a barrier between the fire and the victim, even in the form of covering the skin, some protection from burns will be provided.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
Having had synthetic clothing melted to my skin, count me as a fan of natural fiber for clothing. Thankfully it wasn't very serious, could have been far worse.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
  I admit to having paracord drip on my lap as I was fire sealing it...more than once.Sticks and burns.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »
Been doing some more investigation.  Titan actually has a version which incorporates the tinder, fishing line, and snare line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DAPFTBQ/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_5_w

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 04:52:25 AM »
  What? No built in flare?

Interesting cordage ,though maybe a bit gimmicky for my use and probably costs so much one would hesitate to use it.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »
That Titan stuff performed poorly in my paracord testing.  Maybe if you’re just using it for lanyards or wrapping around a walking stick, but otherwise it’s pretty awful when used as paracord. Titan as a brand seems like a way overpriced gimmick, I’ll never buy another product from them again.
23:57:30

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
That Titan stuff performed poorly in my paracord testing.  Maybe if you’re just using it for lanyards or wrapping around a walking stick, but otherwise it’s pretty awful when used as paracord. Titan as a brand seems like a way overpriced gimmick, I’ll never buy another product from them again.

Paracord test?  Did you write it up?  I am not finding it via search engine but would love to know details.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=57784.msg684679#msg684679

You'll notice a new Titan Paracord product joining its partner in shame at the bottom of the list.  The "Survival" version takes the already craptacular performance of their "Mil-Spec" stuff and adds additional strands of fishing line, waxed jute, and brass wire.  This stuff is the overpriced hollow-handled survival knife of the cordage world.  Sgt Knots has something similar, but with only a single waxed jute strand, better performance, and less price gouging.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
  Holy laser sighted bayonets Batman! You will know them by their cordage!

I remember that test ,you put in a lot of work to save others.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
I’m still finding shattered paracord remains in odd places around the garage.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 01:18:57 PM »