Author Topic: Insect repellant woes  (Read 340 times)

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
Insect repellant woes
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:42:06 AM »
Here’s a question. I’ve been burned a couple of times by cans of insect repellant leaking inside my go bags, and the contents pretty much destroying anything made of plastic.  :o I’m looking for a way of keeping repellant on hand without the worry of this happening. Putting the cans inside a plastic bag isn’t likely to help obviously. I suppose I could leave it out until it actually needs to go in the bag, but then that’s one more last minute thing I have to remember to do. I wonder if anyone else has run into this issue, and what was their solution? I’m thinking the packets of repellant wipes might be an answer, but I haven’t tried these yet.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Insect repellant woes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »
hmm. good question, never considered that... the packets might be a good idea, but cost per use is higher i expect...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 01:00:19 PM »
I swear by BuzzAway bug sprayed. Canadians were laughing at my 'hippie' non-DET bug spray, but after a bit ghey were using my can. Fishing, and in camp you can literally see blackflies, mosquitoes and gnats stay 18" or so from you.

The bottle is metal, and I do put it in a ziplock bag in my pack, it/they have never leaked on me in 20 years. They do make wipes too.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Buzz-Away-Extreme-DEET-Free-Natural-Insect-Repellent-Towelettes-25-sheets/37226419?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228024945751&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=52631238911&wl4=pla-84516712511&wl5=9033025&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=37226419&wl13=&veh=sem

But look up homemade SWAT type recipes as well.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »
I use the packets of wipes in my bag. I miss the days when you could get honest to goodness cancer causing Cutter. Some will not remember the days before spray when we rubbed that garbage into our faces with our hands. Always made the hot dogs taste funny.

I won't put any spray in my bag. In Minnesota the car is 140 in the summer and -40 in the winter. The cycle kills them. Even if you limit yourself to spring/summer you're looking at massive swings.

Dad bought cases of the crap he used in Nam. Used them for decades. Of course he gardened in his combat boots well into the 90s.

Look, I use the hippie organic stuff day to day but the bag is different. It's got to work hard and endure difficult conditions. The wipes are a compromise.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline redeyeprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • redeyeprep
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:07:42 AM »
Sounds like the general consensus is wipes. I suppose if nothing else, there’s a lot less ‘stuff’ in any individual wipe packet to leak out, and several wipes in a bag aren’t all going to fail at once.    :D

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
If you can make your own baby wipes, I don't see why you can't make bug wipes. You might even get a small package of baby wipes, intentially let them dry out, open a bottle of bug spray, pour the contents in. Seal it up.. RELABEL (!!!), And I'd still just stick in another ziplock.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."