Author Topic: Did some testing nothing major just for my pellet stove  (Read 387 times)

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Did some testing nothing major just for my pellet stove
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:22:50 AM »
Hi All

Well the power went out for about 3.5 hours the other day over half the county.

No big deal, it was a nice day out but it did push me a bit to try out a project.

So I took my 2000 watt inverter and a 35AH SLA battery and tested to see if I could run my pellet stove off of it. It worked and worked pretty well. But the drain from the battery was a lot at first so I really need a lot more batteries which I plan to do as finances allow.

This leads to my question. I am staying away from lithium batteries for now except for my USB powerbanks but is there much fear or danger from the SLA types?

Thank you
Kid Couteau

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Did some testing nothing major just for my pellet stove
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 12:22:03 AM »
  SLA batteries will outgas hydrogen sulphide during charge and discharge and while you should not overplay this as a danger,I suggest adequate ventilation and safety procedures for this and the acids within the batteries. A 35 amp hour battery is really strained to produce more that 30 to 50 watts through your inverter and you would benefit from a much larger battery or power source.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:59:28 AM »
Thank you Carl
Yeah, I plan on adding more batteries in parallel to boost power output.
I just wanted to see if it would work.

Never knew about the gas on discharge. On charging I have them in the walkway which is ventilated.

Something to think on.
See ya
Kid

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
Thank you Carl
Yeah, I plan on adding more batteries in parallel to boost power output.
I just wanted to see if it would work.

Never knew about the gas on discharge. On charging I have them in the walkway which is ventilated.

Something to think on.
See ya
Kid

If charge and discharge is kept within C5 or about 1/5 of battery rated current the gassing is minimal and for SEALED batteries C10 is best to avoid trouble. Gassing is not a big deal though proper water level is ...you can get a battery to explode when a spark happens within a dry cell and this is where most explosions happen...INSIDE of a bad battery.
  When you parallel batteries PLUS to PLUS,Minus to Minus...it balances the pack better to charge and discharge across the pack and not just from on battery parallel connected to others. (example 3 batteries all in parallel) Charge or discharge from POSITIVE of batt #1 and Negative of Batt #3 and this way all 3 (or more) get near equal balance of charge/discharge and it may even benefit to move the point of attachment from time to time to help keep balance as even the slightest wire resistance during battery use can cause imbalance over time.
  It also helps to not just leave batteries sitting. To use them and charge them is like exercise to them and keeps them from sulphation,or build up of chemicals on the plates. I would not over buy as many lead acid batteries will die in 3 to 5 years or somewhat more for true DEEP CYCLE type batteries though few outlive 10 years until you use the premium cells used with solar power systems and you may find ,as I did,that you get LONGEVITY at about the same cost per AmpHour/year with budget to premium battery costs...this is why I often say that batteries are RENTAL units as they will fail ,even when not abused...it's a matter of time ...and exercise for batteries is best.

Last thought: I charge and discharge 5 batteries of 125 Amp Hours each in my house and under my folding table used for my radios ,mostly and I have no real problems with GAS though understand I don't go above C10 or about 12 amps per battery in the bank (60 amps or about 600 watts through the inverter) and the gas can form sulfuric acid with humidity and this is not so good around my many costly radios.

I monitor the 'acid-gas' problem by placing a few shiny pennies on top of the batteries and I replace with new shiny ones as needed watching for black spots that would indicate sulfuric acid reforming on the battery tops to warm me of excessive use or a battery that is nearing it's end of life and within a bank of batteries...such a failure can be a real problem so I use a fuse on EACH battery in case of a potentially catastrophic event.

Probably more than you wanted to know. Link to my Alternative energy files with lots of battery information.Download all you want, Link good for anyone to download files.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIT2g1NlBtYmhzTkU
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:47:54 AM by Carl »

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
Check the power useage of the pellet stove...  you likely don't even need 2000watts of power - which means you'll kill the battery faster.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Check the power useage of the pellet stove...  you likely don't even need 2000watts of power - which means you'll kill the battery faster.

Besides the about ONE AMP to idle the inverter,it uses only what it is asked to produce(most are about 90% or so efficient) and many 'over sized' inverters are more efficient than a lower power inverter pushed to near it's maximum. A large inverter also is better able to handle the startup loads that often are not part of the equation.
The pellet stove uses a lot of power to get started and then very little to 'feed' as it runs,I forget how much,but it matters little as the inverter basically wastes minimal power to be 'oversized' .