Author Topic: Please cancel your ARRL membership (???)  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Please cancel your ARRL membership (???)
« on: October 18, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »
This Reddit post has caught fire and has been the talk of many online amateur groups.  Lots of strong feelings about how things were managed in Puerto Rico.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/772zlk/please_cancel_your_arrl_membership/

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Please cancel your ARRL membership (???)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:09:05 PM »
  Every group has their own ideas and organization and often do not want cooperation . This is some of what I faced 12 years ago after Katrina and RITA came through the gulf area. Too many chiefs and no real organization , combined with the economics and governmental problems and corruption. I fully understand what this person experienced and probably in more detail than they discussed. I don't believe the ARRL acted in a negative way as described as often the message loses meaning in the chain of command. I don't condone that it could have happened though .
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »
OK, it sounds something went horribly wrong with the Red Cross in charge and the ARRL's lovable bunch of misfits along for the ride.  Nobody had practiced together, the mission wasn't well-defined in the minds of the RC people on the ground, and the ARRL's leadership likely has no real idea of what a hurricane-wiped area can be like three weeks later.  Throw in some bureaucrats and ham operator personality issues, a good helping of "normal" disaster-area stress, and is it any wonder that something went off the rails?  Is anyone surprised here?

This doesn't mean that the ARRL's a bad group.  It's just currently poorly suited to this sort of job.  I wouldn't expect the NRA to coordinate a border defense operation either.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one though, Smurf.  It sounds like the ham community is going to have some damage control ahead of it.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »
The Red Cross has screwed up a lot of things lately.  I think they have a bloated administration and gotten full of themselves.  It is a mistake to ally with them as the coordinator for anything important.  ARRL should align with an NGO or commercial entity with a good track record in recent disasters.  They may not be suited for every type of disaster, so first thing is to decide in which situations HAM can be a important contributor.  I assume they did not want to wait fro a govt body like FEMA to get organized on the ground, so they need to find what relief organization has a record of getting into areas early, safely and being a significant benefit.  I think the Red Cross is running on fumes from past glory.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:47 PM »
  I was 'attached' to the local Marshals office during Katrina/Rita ,double whammy of the Gulf region and each 'system' State police,Sherrid,Marshal,local police,medical ,even Fire personnel ...use their own 10 code,their own vehicles,their own radios and frequencies etc etc...THEY have little plan or capability to co-operate with each other and government agencies are much the same in this also.

We Hams try our best to study the language wit ICS ,Incident Command System (or How to speak,act,and follow government-speak) and are trained to follow ONLY the one who we are attached to and ONLY relay UN-EMBELLISHED MESSAGES to and from the fearless leader we are 'attached to'. We are taught to NOT use our own decision in what to do,unless effectiveness of message passing or individual safety are in jeopardy. You are told NOT TO THINK but to only pass the message...this is all they desire and expect from the civilian radio geeks and any deviation from what you are told is perceived as a 'slap in the face' of them and their 'saving humanity'

This is a partial and very simplistic view of what a volunteer faces as the inventiveness and intelligence of the Ham operator must be suppressed and he must be just another piece of the 'professional's' gear ...otherwise he is 'defective' and a hindrance to the professionals ability to save the planet. 

I know it sounds stupid...but if you have been and done ,you know this is so very true.   

AND it has nothing to do with the ARRL as they organize and BUFFER between the Ham community and Government who only LOAN the radio spectrum to Ham operators and can take it away without such help as the ARRL who must be bi-lingual.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 04:06:42 AM »
As someone who has done emergency work for SAR as a dog handler for 15 years, as a firefighter for 2 years, and a beginning ham who is one of two people in charge of our town's emergency radio, I am rather appauled at what i read in that OP, although taking it with a grain of salt, as he contradicted himself a couple times. Taking it at face value however, these were my thoughts.

1. I would have thought that there would be a group trained for disasters like this, either an ARES group, AARL, a FEMA group, or at least some group who is on the same page for ham radio. I am extremely disappointed there seems to be none. After this, why is there not a push to get it happening. OK, ARC doesn't have money for it. Since when should that be a deterrent? Volunteers are volunteers. I did not get paid, not did my dogs for our work. Other people volunteer for the ARC, why not ham radio organic,ing BEFORE an actual emergency. Is that just too practical?

2. As someone who has been in the field many times, and usually specialized, I had a certain automony to do as I wanted, but still had to talk to base, go with what base and the main IC officer wishes. Why is the chain of command under whatever emergency higher authority lacking protocol of some attemp? Why did someone with experience take control if no one else knew what they were doing. It sounds like people cherry picked what they did and did not follow rules/protocols.

3. I thought alot of ham radio was trying to figure out the game of how to get the message through under adverse conditions. Relays, fixing radios, putting up jerried antennas. Are ham ops turning into snowflakes?

4. Base should always be open. Period.

5. The guy for OP was in the military. I would presume that he has slept and worked in harsher conditions than I hsve. He was whining about sleeping on a cafeteria or something floor. Dude!! Suck it up. At times I would have drooled over a floor to sleep on...even if was concrete.  When I went out on a callout, I was required to be self contained for me and my dogs for two weeks, usually including drinking wster. My longest one was nine days, and other than a bed and lack of a toothbrush, or shower, we were taken care of pretty well. He was on a major disaster where 95% of people lost their homes, and he is whining about lack of better accommodation tban a floor to sleep on, with a roof over his head? With electrical and clean water.

6. Have some gumption and if you know things are not going right or proper, just because others are not doing it right and proper does not mean you have to be a sheep and follow suit. At least try to be a good example.

(Posting this before it crashes on me a third time)

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 04:15:46 AM »
7. It does not sound like anyone had any working knowledge of how the Incident Command System works. I did have to learn 10 code and another code, which I have likely forgotten by now.

8. I don't think any one group was to blame, but all of them. Learn from this experience and get something done about it. The OP guy who is disgruntled, maybe he should lead an initiative.

9. So how is cancelling your AARL membership going to remedy the problems that OP experienced? Sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It is 3am. I need to go back to sleep now that the windstorm has passed, but I am sure I will have more to come on after I re-read the OP on the Reddit site again.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 04:44:18 AM »
  Something must be wrong....CEDAR,I agree with ALL of your post and especially #8. Though your interaction with the 'Professionals' was more on an equal level .as they had a use for you and often communications is brought in as a directive from above and are treated more as unnecessary by the working personnel. Also ,when injected into an unknown area,the need and capability of Ham communications is not respected. The poster
may have had only a narrow view of the situation and got off leash. I understand his thoughts though he has a poor view of what was happening judged by his misdirected strike at ARRL . The OP mentioned little of what Radio training he had and was only critical of others.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 04:57:08 AM »
  Though your interaction with the 'Professionals' was more on an equal level .as they had a use for you and often communications is brought in as a directive from above and are treated more as unnecessary by the working personnel. Also ,when injected into an unknown area,the need and capability of Ham communications is not respected.

It must have been in version #1 or #2 that the internet ate, but I had mentioned that when I was in the field, I always had a support crew guy to be my navigation and radio guy, (and sometimes Vietnam vet guys who saved me from ugly traps), which is why I knes how important ham was out in the field. Usually I just met the guy a moment before we tootled off into the wilderness relying on each other. I respected the heck out of my radio guys, and partly why I was whining about not having one on a nasty callout we got for an elk hunter with a broken legs during an ice storm when I was on the fire Dept, and partly the push I had for me to get my ham ticket.

Don was the name of the ham op I had on that 9 day search. 20 years later I still appreciate him.

Cedar

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Exploring the Hobby in Every Direction
    • Ham Radio 360
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
I can direct you to another active post (in a different forum) where that OP states that the majority of what he's seen in the PR deployment is the opposite of the reddit post.  I'm really trying to stay away from this topic as I enjoy a break, but I will post a few links that mention the Reddit Poster, even quoting him in a VERY positive fashion.

Dougherty said. “It was fun.”
http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-facilitates-another-patient-evacuation-on-puerto-rico

“He definitely stepped up to the challenge of the unexpected emergency and handled it quite well,” Dougherty said. “Someone needs to pin a medal on his chest.”
http://www.arrl.org/news/puerto-rico-volunteer-aids-burn-victim-contacts-family-via-ham-radio

he doesn't sound angry our upset with how things are happening in those stories?

I for one, would have refused to have my name or quotes associated with any presser if I were sold on it being a Cluster.  Matter of fact I'd kept my thoughts to myself till I arrived home and decompressed before snapping off something in an internet forum.

All of that is my personal opinion, and we're all guaranteed that-for now.
Interested in Comms? Ham Radio? Try Ham Radio 360
http://hamradio360.com/

"Emergencies ,by their very nature are organizational nightmares.
Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them." WMY

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »
  Perhaps attitude effected the outlook of the original poster ?  I have found success in every deployment I have been involved in....though some took more effort than others.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 08:00:01 AM »
  Perhaps attitude effected the outlook of the original poster ?  I have found success in every deployment I have been involved in....though some took more effort than others.
and just as there is success in every deployment, large scale emergencies are truly chaotic and ridiculous.  It is the way that it is.  Even military units who fight well in a battle are full of redundant shouting, orders given that were in retrospect useless, mistaken assumptions, waste, etc.  War (and I would say any extreme upset from norms like natural disasters) are chaos and waste incarnate.  Certain personalities cannot help but get caught up in the things that went bad, instead of separating the stray voltage from the dysfunction.

The ARRL put together a scratch team of true volunteers in an extremely time constrained environment (so minimally vetted), for a group (Red Cross) that doesn't have a standing comms team (like SATERN does for the Salvation Army).  What did he think his experience was going to be?

The ARRL was likely very aware of the pitfalls of this course of action, but do we (the membership) really want to say no to the request for support?  Or do we expect the ARRL to say "Sure, here are the risks, when and where do you need them?"

Take the lessons; learn, train & organize for the future and move on.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 08:12:45 AM »
I for one, would have refused to have my name or quotes associated with any presser...

We were not allowed to when I did SAR. The only time I sorta broke that rule is when KPTV was somehow hanging with my support guy, my SAR dog and myself when we were searching for "Dezi" the African (something)-clawed otter who went AWOL from the Oregon zoo. The cameraman asked if he could film my dog, and I said sure, and after thinking he'd zoom in on her or something, he was sprinting low to keep up with my bewildered (but stayed on track) dog. I was impressed enough with the cam guy keeping up with her, and that this was not a human situation, so I gave him the name of my dog and her details.

Other than local interest pieces which were done on me and my SAR dog done by the paper of local community members, but even then I shared the article with someone and her dog I trained with, as i felt it was not about her and i, but about our specialized dogs. Today, I'd do the same thing about the focus on ham radio, like I am doing tonight for "The Great Oregon Shakeout" .... The focus not being on the ham operator, other than why we do it, but why there needs to be emergency radios..... but certainly NOT in the middle of an ongoing disaster.

As a former editor for a newspaper, I may take photos for history. I might get names of people go interview later. But not pull someone off an active radio to do an interview. And anyone fawning to get I terviewed might not get the article they had hoed for.

As a former editor, i am half tempted to start calling around to find out what the deal on the 50 hams who were supposed to go down, and only 25 did. And who they were.

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 08:58:56 AM »

And anyone fawning to get I terviewed might not get the article they had hoed for.

Cedar

I understand spelling issues ,but CEDAR...it is poetic that they HOED for a part in history....

And we Hams do public service as a big part of our community and the frequencies loaded to us.
Probably the many 'rejected' were not ICS qualified or failed some part of their background checks.
(or there may have been more than one group in case of air tragedy ?)

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:55 AM »
I can direct you to another active post (in a different forum) where that OP states that the majority of what he's seen in the PR deployment is the opposite of the reddit post.  I'm really trying to stay away from this topic as I enjoy a break, but I will post a few links that mention the Reddit Poster, even quoting him in a VERY positive fashion.

Dougherty said. “It was fun.”
http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-facilitates-another-patient-evacuation-on-puerto-rico

“He definitely stepped up to the challenge of the unexpected emergency and handled it quite well,” Dougherty said. “Someone needs to pin a medal on his chest.”
http://www.arrl.org/news/puerto-rico-volunteer-aids-burn-victim-contacts-family-via-ham-radio

he doesn't sound angry our upset with how things are happening in those stories?

I for one, would have refused to have my name or quotes associated with any presser if I were sold on it being a Cluster.  Matter of fact I'd kept my thoughts to myself till I arrived home and decompressed before snapping off something in an internet forum.

All of that is my personal opinion, and we're all guaranteed that-for now.

That's interesting, maybe the Reddit poster isn't even Dougherty but someone else posing as him.

I only read the original post by kcexactly/NS0S and a couple of the first responses, so maybe this was already discussed but TL;DR.  But there are two primary motivations for those that volunteer in disasters, altruism and egotism, and it's never black and white but always some mixture of both.  Even the most altruistic leaning individual will have some self-interest when volunteering, even if their motives are largely pure and unselfish as in the pursuit of self-actualisation or self-fulfillment.  The EMCOMM egotists are more generally referred to as whackers, fame and glory seekers.

Where NS0S (aka K0NKC, aka KE0KHM, first licensed in Sept 2016) falls on the altruist <-----> egotist scale is anyone's guess, but given his choice of vanity call and taking his gripes to reddit while PR is barely into the recovery phase is telling IMO.  Do unto others and don't worry about the rest I say.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
Another aspect of the OP I thought was odd was the gear.  Where the volunteer hams really told NOT to bring radios? 
In municipal jurisdictions with EOC, local police and fire departments, there's often some amount of gear staged in reserve.  Even though a few local fire houses have 2 meter stations with backup power, at a minimum every ARES volunteer I know would deploy with at least an HT.  Plenty of times I've worked some public service event, and been handed an 800mhz public safety radio, and never use any amateur bands or gear.

I suppose the disaster in PR is like nothing on the mainland, where perhaps there's a different volunteer culture.  I remember in the early 1980s my grandfather (a ham) doing ARES and MARS stuff.  He was a retired USAF officer, and maybe that stuff was just in his blood, but he took civic pride and volunteering for his community rather seriously.  Not every volunteer is as passionate, but most every local team I've interacted with has a least a few dedicated individuals of that caliber.

Imagine a severe weather event, or an imminent flood.  I know many ARES volunteers who would answer the call to put on their hip waders and fill sand bags if that was the greatest need.  Others would stay home unless there was something specific to radio.

Which kind of volunteer went to PR?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
I understand spelling issues ,but CEDAR...it is poetic that they HOED for a part in history....
It
And we Hams do public service as a big part of our community and the frequencies loaded to us.
Probably the many 'rejected' were not ICS qualified or failed some part of their background checks.
(or there may have been more than one group in case of air tragedy ?)

I think I have mentioned hating my phone a time or two? Especially around 3am?  It sucks being a former editor and having a 2x3" machine outwit you.

I might just see what happened to half the hams on a whim if I have some slack time, and calling abilities.

Cedar

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 09:27:20 PM »
This Reddit post has caught fire and has been the talk of many online amateur groups.  Lots of strong feelings about how things were managed in Puerto Rico.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/772zlk/please_cancel_your_arrl_membership/

Wow, two things, one which was already mentioned, is that net control was shut down when volunteers were still out in the field.  Crazy. If you have ever been down there you would know that it is not very safe down there.

The second thing is that a little later reply said that the red cross was too small of an organization to afford radio equipment.

So I looked up the CEO compensation which the red cross claims to be a base salary of $500,000.

http://www.redcross.org/news/press-release/Red-Cross-Statement-on-Inaccurate-Viral-Email-on-Charity-CEO-Pay

In that same article, the ARC claims to be a 3.3 billion dollar organization.

Snopes places CEO compensation at over $1M.

Somehow I think they have money for radios.

Apparently, ARC Houston has deployable radio go kits and offers a full day of incident response training.

It does come down to operators in the end and it sounded like they needed a few good ones.  How about the one who paid a VE for his license.

The sad part is that Puerto Rico lost their entire communications infrastructure and amateur radio is an awesome solution to that problem. So sad.

Jerseyboy

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ham Radio 360

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 07:47:23 AM »
this is my shocked face  :o  http://fox4kc.com/2017/10/19/kansas-city-firefighter-uses-ham-radio-skills-to-help-puerto-rico/

GREAT article. I wonder why no one questions a 'fresh' Ham and his experience as so many others were there and I heard few bad reports.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 08:06:06 AM »
That was pretty upbeat, a welcome relief from some of the other stuff.

I'd like to see this guy's story in a more in-depth article for hams.  The local Fox station has to do stories of more general interest, I know, so the details just wouldn't come out through there.  Even so, good article.  I'll bet that QST will run a feature story on how things went in an upcoming issue.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ham Radio 360
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »
not sure if you missed it or not; but that story is about the Op from Reddit who wrote the scolding piece about the ARRL that this thread was spawned from

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »
Tape measure? PVC pipe? See thats what I am talking about!! +1fire department guy!

Cedar

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 10:45:17 PM »
The Red Cross has screwed up a lot of things lately.  I think they have a bloated administration and gotten full of themselves.  It is a mistake to ally with them as the coordinator for anything important.  ARRL should align with an NGO or commercial entity with a good track record in recent disasters.  They may not be suited for every type of disaster, so first thing is to decide in which situations HAM can be a important contributor.  I assume they did not want to wait fro a govt body like FEMA to get organized on the ground, so they need to find what relief organization has a record of getting into areas early, safely and being a significant benefit.  I think the Red Cross is running on fumes from past glory.

Honestly, I don't think ARRL should have put itself in the position of soliciting "volunteers" off the street to go to PR at all.  Period.
A disaster area such as PR was, and still is, much like a war zone.  Very, very few of the American population, and even fewer [percentage-wise among hams] are anywhere near prepared to live and work under such conditions.
Even those of us who have been down range as soldiers, or as civilians with legitimate relief organizations, are often a bit overwhelmed when facing such difficult circumstances. 

The [national] Red Cross used to be a knowledgeable, reliable agency when it came to disaster relief.  I was registered with DSHR back in the early '90s.  I went to Long Island for Flight 800, and served locally for hurricanes Fran and Floyd here in the Carolinas.  I was also a volunteer trainer for CPR & Community First Aid for a number of years.  But as Red Cross became more politicized, I decided that I just couldn't deal with their PC crap, the feminized and urbane bent among all the newly-hired 'officers' at the various chapters, and the not-so-sublimated contempt for real men trickling down from above.  So in 1999 I rescinded my DSHR file and quit their game.  They lost a lot of good people to their (bad) politics in the late 90s and early 2000s. 

They've followed the same equation as everywhere else:  Progressivism > Political Correctness > Incompetence of Management > Organizational Failure

I registered with NC Emergency Management, and obtained my certs for communications and DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Team).  I was activated for 9/11 for communications, and was deployed for Katrina as staff on one of two DMATs our state sent to LA.  Honestly, I couldn't even imagine going back to Red Cross.  After working with Emergency Management, going back to the Red Cross circus would have me pummeling people in no time.

In contrast, ARRL has never been much more than a lobbying group with a magazine in their back pocket.  I know Ed Hare, John Bartscherer (a.k.a. John Bee), and Al Alvareztorrres (SK) who all worked at the league, and I've heard the inside scoop on the petty politics and perennial pandering (to the IcoKenYeasu vendors, and the broadcast & commercial radio interests)  that is part and parcel of the little bubble which the League HQ exists in. 

Whatever.  It's a lobbying group - I don't have to like how they make sausage.  But since 9/11 and Katrina, there's a lot of money in federal grants for disaster preparedness & relief organizations, and ARRL has been a big hog at that trough.  Problem is, none of the headquarters crew has ever seen a real disaster.  None of them.  So they "borrowed" their knowledge from Red Cross via the 2009 MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) between the two organizations to "share training and resources".  But the metrosexuals from the National ARC office in DC don't really know anything about disasters, except maybe logistics (though even their skills in logistics are crumbling over the last decade) - all the hardcore disaster experience of Red Cross has *always* resided in about 12 local Chapters with large membership and a deep bench of experienced military, fire fighters, and Medicines Sans Frontiers veterans who are willing to heed the call -- not at National HQ. 

So in essence, ARRL went to the National ARC and got "training" in disaster response that was worthless, and then thought they could act on that training and pull off a Comms role in a real scenario.  It was folly from the beginning, and all to support the ARRL's voracious appetite for money.  Because you know that ARRL will be bankrupt in another decade, right?  That's why they're trying to "branch out" into new areas like disaster communications in the first place - they need additional revenue streams, because the membership dues (net of QST printing and distribution costs) don't cover the salaries, medical insurance, retirement, etc., for the staff of 50+ people at League HQ, and they haven't gotten on-board with the Brit or German model of a national radio club, where they develop and sell kits, run summer camps, and do other for-profit activities to sustain themselves.

In short, the pampered PR team in Newington had no idea what they were sending people into, but they did it anyway, because they are self-deluded enough to think it would all just work out OK - and that was a crime of epic proportions.  Not only do I hope they learned their lesson never to try such a stupid move again, but I've already sent them email stating as much.

Regardless of the justified outrage some are feeling about the PR debacle, I'm not canceling my ARRL membership - I want them to *learn* from their mistakes, not die from them.

And FWIW, the state of North Carolina doesn't recognize ARRL/ARES as a 'partner' any more.  ARES lost the last bit of its relevance 25 years ago, by neglecting to update their training in the closing decade of the cold war as technology was evolving rapidly, and finally by failing to train operators at all.  There's a new, independent training and certification group called AUXCOMM Society, and NCEM (NC Emer. Mgmt.) partners with them, instead.  In the last 7 years, a dozen states have made the same transition - dumping ARES and partnering with AUXCOMM - and several more states are in the process of formalizing their relationship with AUXCOMM right now.  In another year or two there will be more states partnering with AUXCOMM than with ARES, and ARRL will loose their ability to pull grants for disaster communications.   Just one more way that ARRL has a short runway to fix themselves, or face bankruptcy.

Cheers

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:11:34 PM by LodeRunner »
It's natural to have antenna envy from time to time...
I have it every time I drive past VOA.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
More after action report and discussion and resources:
discussion at KB6NU's blogdiscussion at KB6NU's blog
Reddit Guide to Extreme EmComm
Ham Radio Now interview two of the guys the ARRL sent to PR

I'm still sorting through it all and listening to the podcast, nothing more to post at the moment than "here it all is."

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 09:03:30 PM »
Ham Radio Now interview two of the guys the ARRL sent to PR
The juicy part starts at about the hour 1:52 mark.  It sounds like some over-tired people higher up thought somebody else was over-tired and then over-reacted.  OTOH there are several sides to all this.  Have a listen, and see how things shake out over the next few months.  None of this should be a big deal.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 03:15:48 AM »
  I notice a lack of inter-agency cooperation/communications and near total lack of local preparedness/Ham operators that were trained and or prepared to help in such times of need.Puerto Rico just did not have equipment or radio operators that were organized to perform simple communications duties. Typical lack of organization that is common in most emergency situations. The video/interview explained more than the blogs etc and made the "quit the ARRL' guy sound a bit more reasonable,though wrong in his assessment of where fault existed .Emergencies ,by their very nature are organizational nightmares.

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:41:22 AM by Carl »

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 06:17:18 AM »
Emergencies ,by their very nature are organizational nightmares.
Amen brother.  And this is a lot of why we prepare: FEMA and the RC will probably be there when a disaster comes to our neighborhoods, and maybe they're an OK fallback, but if we can sidestep their organizational drama so much the better.

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.
Right, as always "Skills are more important than gear."  That would probably sound really impressive in Latin.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ham Radio 360
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
Posting to show off my new sig line quote

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 03:59:40 PM »
  I am somebody now,I am famous.....