Author Topic: network Gigabit Adapter  (Read 939 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
network Gigabit Adapter
« on: October 20, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »
This seems interesting, if the wifi is problematic or weak you can use this to turn electrical wiring into a network. Anyone tried one of these ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MUVFOH6/?tag=repeat0f-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEfssrsDIiU

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: network Gigabit Adapter
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
They have been around quite a while.  While I haven't used them, I've heard that they work pretty well.

I do have wifi in my house, but I've been running Cat 6 cable to all the rooms in my house.  I try to use wired connections any chance I get.  For my wifi, I moved to Ubiquiti Access Points.  I still have my router, but turned the antennas off and use it only for wired connections.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
  With so much RF in the air ,I would not ever want to use unshielded power lines for networking.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 01:19:18 PM »
I just ordered this one from amazon for $110 including shipping ..

The wifi at this end of the house where the router is on the other side is flaky a bit even though I just ordered a new router from verizon. There are 15 other wifi connections in the neighborhood, though none show us as a supper strong signal. I am hoping this will improve the internet as I work from home.
This is supposed to be the best one based on CNET reviews

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Pass-through-TL-PA9020P-KIT/dp/B01H74VKZU

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 08:23:08 PM »
 The Wi-Fi used to work fine before. I am not sure if there is interference caused by other Wi-Fi systems from the neighbors. So there is no explanation as to why it stopped working . Trying something completely different seems like a strategy

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 04:36:20 AM »
The Wi-Fi used to work fine before. I am not sure if there is interference caused by other Wi-Fi systems from the neighbors. So there is no explanation as to why it stopped working . Trying something completely different seems like a strategy

This Happens when so many use the default channel and password. I always survey and choose the channel with the least activity and set my router to that channel so I can avoid interference.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 09:06:13 AM »
Use a diagnostic app like WIFI Analyzer by farpac on the google store to understand what is happening.  It will show all networks, channel activity, and strength of signal.  As carl suggests, it will help you find best chanhel and tell you how your wifi router is doing.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
Use a diagnostic app like WIFI Analyzer by farpac on the google store to understand what is happening.  It will show all networks, channel activity, and strength of signal.  As carl suggests, it will help you find best chanhel and tell you how your wifi router is doing.

Karma Corn  :popcorn:  great idea!

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »

That's interesting, that app may not be free (though may have a free trial) and I am kind of busy trying to work on other things.

I had heard something about channels. Some other blogs said to use channel 11, but I am still having issues on that channel. The adapters I ordered have not arrived yet

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »
what the panel now shows, but I still get disconnects quite a bit from the far side of the house

2.4 GHz Wireless Status
Radio Enabled:   
Yes
SSID:   Fios-zzzz
Channel:   
Security Enabled:   
Yes
WEP 64-bit:   
N/A
WPA2: xxx
SSID Broadcast:   
Enabled
MAC Authentication:   
Disabled
Wireless Mode:   
Compatibility Mode(802.11b/g/n)
WMM:   
Enabled
Received Packets:   2067929
Sent Packets:   3486623
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:13:51 AM by surfivor »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »
  I don't stretch wireless beyond 50 feet unless a higher power router is used, several wireless channels are in a Ham band and Hams can run higher power so I have wireless contact with PC's in my BOL with a good antenna and just under 2 watts power.

Non Hams can use higher gain indoor or outdoor antennas and likely your wireless in your laptop is not a long range board with external antenna ( outside of the laptop) so there are many ways to extend your wireless range....even just a wireless booster that plugs into a wall outlet to increase signal strength will extend wireless to 100 feet or more. The built inn wireless is not intended to be a long range devise. 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 09:03:25 AM »

Well, it was too late because I became impatient and irritated so I ordered the gigabit adapter last week. On top of that the company laptop I was given has flaked out and the wifi stopped working on that machine. On my windows 10 laptop I can go to settings/network and reset all of the network adapters. This company laptop is windows 10 but it does not have the tab that allows me to reset the network adapters. It will help me to use the wall plug adapter for that instead of the wifi if only just to avoid some frustration for a while. That laptop will not run a VM that doesn't have slow down problems either and I have been messing with that for days. Luckily I have two other laptops I can use for now.

The wall plugin gigabit adapter just arrived. I have only been using it for a few minutes so far, but it is blazing fast compared to what was going on previously

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
Way overpriced.
I use similar devices (TP Link) in my house. They're hit or miss and it's largely dependent on the wiring in your house. Mine worked well 90% of the time, but my well pump running with the oil furnace caused too much noise which resulted in signal drop.
You will never actually get gigabit. At least not with current gear. That rating is absolute best case.
Here's a similar product that I think will work as well for about the same price https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B06WP2ZT5N?th=1

Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »
The one I bought had the best ratings, I was so frustrated I didn't care if it was a bit expensive. I just wanted my internet to work and I didn't have a lot of time to mess around and figure it out since I use it for work everyday

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
The one I bought had the best ratings, I was so frustrated I didn't care if it was a bit expensive. I just wanted my internet to work and I didn't have a lot of time to mess around and figure it out since I use it for work everyday
Understood. I had a lot of similar issues with my setup, so I redid my whole home network. I was sick of home-use gear becoming obsolete so I ran a few cables in the attic and put in a hard wired AP where it needed to be and got a separate firewall/router. The overview is here if you're interested. http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/2017/10/22/homestead-network-upgrades/

I'd like to hear how your setup is working after a few weeks. Like I mentioned in my post, I had issues when my well pump and furnace were both running. Curious if you have any similar oddities.
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill