Author Topic: What's in your portfolio?  (Read 763 times)

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
What's in your portfolio?
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »
The simple listing of what's in your portfolio really says a lot more that grand speculations about the future. So for those interested let's hear it. I'm including all paper and physical assets 

Stocks:
Atac resources
Point loma resources
Altura energy
Gold mining inc
Renaissance oil Corp
Idm mining
Lynas Corp
Small tesla put option
Small baytex call option

A 5-10k in tools, automotive machine tools etc. Enough for commercial operations
2 vehicles worry about 10k in good repair
A small home business selling lifestyle clothing

Planning for 5 acres of land once my wife and son get immigration sorted out.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What's in your portfolio?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »
It's over a hundred. I'll limit to my largest holdings across the IRA, Roth IRA, and active portfolio (in no specific order)

Amazon (AMZN)
Verizon (VZ)
Exxon Mobil (XOM)
Zweig Total (I think the name got changed) (ZTR)
Diageo (DEO)
Celanese (CE)
Disney (DIS)
Johnson& Johnson (JNJ)
ADP (ADP)
Microsoft (MSFT)

I *think* those are my top ten, notwithstanding funds in the 401, bond funds, REITS, funds I use to balance my strategy, and the like.

I'm not too eager to discuss shorts publicly but I will confess I am short Blue Apron, which never should have gone public. I also enjoy day trading the VXX when I see a Fibonacci but that's something different.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
I've removed a few duplicates David posted.
These are my biggest in my IRA. 

RGR
AGNC
LSI
UPS
IVV

Like most people I have other assets, like home equity, a couple well maintained vehicles, life insurances, etc.

I think the prepper context is worth understanding, but maybe not worth a panic.

I recently was reminded that my TDAmeritrade brokerage account can take 2 business days before the funds from a recent trade are available to withdraw. 
I could immediately make trades with that money, but not a withdrawal to my bank. Further the ACH bank transfer might take 3 business days beyond that..

That's a long way of saying, if there was an acute economic crisis and I hit the "sell" button, it would likely be a week before those funds came into my savings account.  And that still is not "cash in hand".  I'm not advising folks keep $10K in bills under the mattress, but it is a logistical reality to be aware of.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »
BTC
VTSAX
BCH
Cash
VTIAX
ETH
VGSLX
VGPMX

Been a weird year.
23:57:30

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:54 PM »
Because I don't see an instantaneous societal collapse as being particularly likely I dont worry about the ability to get my money out immediately. Those investments are retirement and home purchase savings.

I've noticed people seem to love the large cap stocks, why?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »

I've noticed people seem to love the large cap stocks, why?

They track better with inflation, usually pay a dividend.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:59:43 PM »
They track better with inflation, usually pay a dividend.

100%. I'd rather have a solid (and growing) dividend than anything else. Historically, roughly 70% of returns are dividends. It's the most complicated math in investing, though. Hold a growing stock with a growing dividend and ten years later you'll find you're earning a 10% dividend relative to your initial position. It's not sexy Amazon growth but over the long haul you'd be surprised.

In response to Freelancer's point, cash would be my #1. But I don't consider savings an investment. Have the cash savings to handle issues and then invest. Investing (IMHO) doesn't involve the nest egg. It's a good point to remember.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 10:06:14 PM »
In response to Freelancer's point, cash would be my #1.

That's a lot of cash.

My goal is 10% net worth in cash, available outside of retirement accounts, and keeping the rest in the market.  But crypto's sent everything out of whack and I need to reprogram the autopilot.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 05:47:32 AM »
That's a lot of cash.

My goal is 10% net worth in cash, available outside of retirement accounts, and keeping the rest in the market.  But crypto's sent everything out of whack and I need to reprogram the autopilot.

It sounds like a lot of cash. But of any one position it is always my largest. Think of it this way... Any portfolio I have is at any time at least 10% cash so I have buying opportunity (these are obviously non-margin accounts). Add to that the day to day bank account and the emergency savings and cash will always be my #1 position relative to any other single position. So while there's more money in the IRA than in the bank account, 10% of the IRA is cash and no single holding (should) break that 10% mark considering I have a few dozen individual positions.

I understand the need to rebalance. Last year crypto would have been on my list. Three months ago SQM was my #1. Right now Amazon is. Could change quick.

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
I have basically no cash, which probably isn't a great idea. I guess I just look at how badly commodities stocks have gotten and I can't stay out of them. I've had returns in excess of 350% in 6-8 months on some of the small oil stocks I've been in. I probably am a bit excessive on my risk taking but I justify it by being young.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 12:13:42 AM »
It sounds like a lot of cash. But of any one position it is always my largest. Think of it this way... Any portfolio I have is at any time at least 10% cash so I have buying opportunity (these are obviously non-margin accounts).

Makes sense.  Being a buy and hold index fund investor, I tend to make assumptions based on how I interface with the market.

I have basically no cash, which probably isn't a great idea. I guess I just look at how badly commodities stocks have gotten and I can't stay out of them. I've had returns in excess of 350% in 6-8 months on some of the small oil stocks I've been in. I probably am a bit excessive on my risk taking but I justify it by being young.

Cash helps me to not freak out during market crashes and jump ship.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 06:24:01 AM »
All traders have cash. Or a margin, line of credit, or some other variant. Cash is best. It's your sixth man (to use a basketball reference). If something craters it gives the ability to buy in quick at a bottom. Right now Warren Buffet (who I detest as a human but admire as a trader) is sitting on millions because he hasn't identified a good value play yet. He has cash on the sideline waiting for the right opportunity.

Haha, I used to trade in South American oil companies. High risk, high reward.

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
I'm not a big fan of South America due to corrupt governments with questionable regulatory environments. But working in oil in Canada I do have a pretty good handle on what's going on here. I hear what guys are saying about cash, I may have to adjust my way of doing things. I have developed a rather iron stomach through the oil market of the last couple years and actually come out the other side up from where I started and a whole lot smarter at my game.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
Dang AlexLindsay Penny stocks and all in the commodities sector. Hope that is your vegas money.
I live in earthquake country.
The street finds its own uses for things.
If you want to find out how things really works, study them when they are coming apart..William Gibson

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »
I do like my penny stocks.

I guess the way I see it is if a company is well capitalized, and a going concern that is not in a financially defensive state (selling assets or downsizing) then it is not likely going to go out of business. Most small oil companies are started by guys who are industry veterans who are looking for their retirement payoff. If you look at the board of directors at altura they have previously run companies such as peyto, which is a billion dollar E&P company.

Commodities as a whole have been so beaten down for so long that a bull market is pretty much inevitable due to lack of investment. Oil is just breaking out right now and I wouldn't be surprised (but happy) to see 80$/bbl in 2018. Gold companies have been in the shitter for 5 years with no major discoveries, uranium mines are being closed because they can't even cover the cost of extraction. I believe in most commodity sectors we are seeing market capitulation.

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 07:13:52 AM »
Admiral shares of Vanguard simple 3 funds. 

Day trading forex, USD/JPY and Dax. 

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 07:54:51 AM »
I'm not too eager to discuss shorts publicly but I will confess I am short Blue Apron, which never should have gone public.

This statement is no longer true. Blue Apron should not have been listed but I am no longer short. I'm just following up to make sure I am forthright. This is why I rarely discuss shorts. They go quick (if done right) and I'd feel bad if someone tried to chase something I posted.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:17 AM »
This statement is no longer true. Blue Apron should not have been listed but I am no longer short. I'm just following up to make sure I am forthright. This is why I rarely discuss shorts. They go quick (if done right) and I'd feel bad if someone tried to chase something I posted.

Thanks for that.  Unless I had some Intel to suggest an acute price drop within a narrow timeframe, I'd be too nervous to have a large short position on anything.

It's one thing to recognize a turd, but guessing how quickly it sinks seems problematic.