Author Topic: The Flow Hive  (Read 827 times)

Offline CoralRives

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
The Flow Hive
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:50:04 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere I used the search function but couldn't find anything.  Does anyone have any experience with the Flow Hive for raising honey bees?  I like the concept but would like an expert's opinion. https://www.honeyflow.com/shop/flow-bundles/flow-starter-bundle-7-frame/p/338

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: The Flow Hive
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
I am a hobbyist bee keeper, been doing it for 7 or so years. I do not like the idea of the flow hive, i have concerns about if the bees will re-use the wax that is sheared or just tear it off and re-make it. and it makes beekeeping more of a 'buy a package, walk away' endeavour. which it is not.

Offline CoralRives

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
After further research, I have decided the Flow Hive is not what I'm looking for. I don't like the use of plastic as opposed to the wax the bees would use, doesn't seem normal or good for the bees.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »
There's another thread around here somewhere about this thing.  I don't think this is good for the bees and I don't think that it will produce like it seems to indicate. 

Offline IKN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:27:11 AM »
My wife and I have been looking at the FLOW HIVE as well.
While most bee keepers think a hands off approach to bee keeping is a bad idea (and may well be right), we've considered getting one or two to try out. We've even talked about seeing if they could be integrated into a bee house. Let's face it, feral bees seem to get along just fine without tending.
For me, the idea of picking up and packing around 60# to 80# hive supers given my age and bad back is not something I'd be able to do.
We currently buy honey from local keepers as much as possible, but there aren't many and the price of honey keeps going up so financially it's difficult to afford buying all the honey we'd like.
With that said, a Flow Hive seems to be a viable option for us. Being able to harvest honey without all the heavy lifting has its appeal. The biggest downside I see is the price, Let's face it, one could buy 2 new Langstroth hives for the price of 1 Flow Hive, but I've seen enough YouTube videos from different people who use the Flow Hives to dismiss them as an option.
There are knock-offs that are much cheaper than the Flow Hive, but reviews show fit and finish aren't nearly as good. Another cost savings idea is to just buy the flow frames and build my own boxes.
If we decide to try one, I'll be sure to post our results.

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • Purveyor of Post Drills
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »
Good luck, IKN. I hope they work for you.

I like the idea of the Flow hives, but I'm not sure how they'll be in practice. And I can totally sympathize about the lifting. It gets brutal as we age. I'm thinking of changing over to 8 frame hives for that reason.

Beekeeping in general has become much more complicated than in my father's day. Much more difficult. No matter what hive system you use you're going to have to deal with the Varroa mite. And unless you're in a very mild climate, you're going to have to feed your bees.

Feral hives may seem like they're doing fine, but the reality is that many of them are disappearing too.

It's just a different world in keeping bees, not trying to discourage you, but letting you know it will never be "hands off" if you want your bees to survive.

I would love to hear how the Flow hives work, if you do decide to get into it. I haven't heard enough about them from regular, non-salesmen, people. I hope it goes well.

Good luck,

rr

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
My wife and I have been looking at the FLOW HIVE as well.
While most bee keepers think a hands off approach to bee keeping is a bad idea (and may well be right), we've considered getting one or two to try out. We've even talked about seeing if they could be integrated into a bee house. Let's face it, feral bees seem to get along just fine without tending.
For me, the idea of picking up and packing around 60# to 80# hive supers given my age and bad back is not something I'd be able to do.
We currently buy honey from local keepers as much as possible, but there aren't many and the price of honey keeps going up so financially it's difficult to afford buying all the honey we'd like.
With that said, a Flow Hive seems to be a viable option for us. Being able to harvest honey without all the heavy lifting has its appeal. The biggest downside I see is the price, Let's face it, one could buy 2 new Langstroth hives for the price of 1 Flow Hive, but I've seen enough YouTube videos from different people who use the Flow Hives to dismiss them as an option.
There are knock-offs that are much cheaper than the Flow Hive, but reviews show fit and finish aren't nearly as good. Another cost savings idea is to just buy the flow frames and build my own boxes.
If we decide to try one, I'll be sure to post our results.

Just buy or build a few top bar hives. You will not need to lift any supers then, just take out frames of honey.

Offline IKN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:13 PM »
I considered top bar hives, but they come with their own style of problems.
As far as feral bees, I know they have issues too, but for the last 3 years we've had at least one that seems to be doing well since they've swarmed every year.
I'm pretty sure they are feral bees since I know the closest beekeeper hive (to my knowledge) is about 20 miles away.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »
I considered top bar hives, but they come with their own style of problems.
As far as feral bees, I know they have issues too, but for the last 3 years we've had at least one that seems to be doing well since they've swarmed every year.
I'm pretty sure they are feral bees since I know the closest beekeeper hive (to my knowledge) is about 20 miles away.

Less problematic than a flow hive. I used to keep bees before I became allergic.