Author Topic: Food Storage Friday Challenge  (Read 2356 times)

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
Food Storage Friday Challenge
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
I've been kicking around this idea in my head for a while, and thought I'd share with the Forum.
I'm posting this late on a Friday so we'll start the challenge next week?

Every Friday (or whatever day works best for you and your family) make dinner from just your food storage.
It can be short term, medium term, long term, whatever you like.  If it's something you store than it is fair game.
Store what you eat and eat what you store.
This is "eating what you store" part of the saying.  The idea is to get used to cooking and eating the foods that you store.

You don't have to actually use the stored food, if you've got some already in rotation.  (I'm not going to open a 20 lb bag of rice from storage when I have 5 lbs sitting in my kitchen cupboard.)
Try to keep the "cheats" to a minimum, the idea is to use mostly what you've got in storage.

Post your recipes and pictures (if you want).

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
Re: Food Storage Friday Challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
Tex-Mex rice casserole.
Items marked with * were my "cheats" and things that aren't technically stored items.

1 cup of white rice cooked using a teaspoon of "better than bullion" paste and water.
1 can chicken breast
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1/2 can diced tomatoes (if I'd had salsa, I would've used that instead)
1 teaspoon dried onions
shredded cheddar cheese (I didn't measure but it was about a cup or so)
2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (didn't measure this either, just eyeballed it)
*cilantro paste
*sour cream

Cooked the rice in the usual way.
I drained and rinsed the beans and corn.
I drained and rinsed the chicken breast until the water ran clear.
Hydrated the dried onions by putting them in the can of diced tomatoes.
Added the beans, corn, chicken, and tomato, taco seasoning and cheese and mixed it all up.
(taste for seasoning)
Added cilantro and sour cream, stirred and tasted again.

Added about 3 cups of cooked rice and mixed it all together.

Bake at 375 F until everything is heated through about 15-20 minutes.
Or put it in the fridge and bake it later, which is what I did.  It took closer to 45 minutes from "fridge cold".

We served it with some tortilla chips and more sour cream.

My husband like it enough to go get a second helping :)
I thought it was pretty good, but needed something "fresh".  Some avocado or shredded lettuce would've been excellent with it.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 03:27:05 AM »
I often just walk into the storage room and start picking things. Recently we've had chicken thighs from frozen storage with linguini and chicken stock from storage, and onion from ST storage. Of course salt and pepper. Also with white wine in the cooking liquid if you like. Maybe some cheese on top of the thighs also if we have it. Sometimes it could be rice or farro instead of linguini.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 06:10:34 AM »
I can't do it weekly. But I do it often. I'll share my #1.

Milanese Risotto

I actually got introduced to this dish in Milan while on holiday with my wife. We'd not taken a honeymoon as we'd married as broke college students and saved pennies to take a European trip. This dish stood out. It's amazing how good something so simple can be. Blame the conquering Spanish for importing their Paella!

Heat a Dutch oven over medium.
Add a healthy amount of butter.
Add a diced onion. Fry until translucent.
Add a cup of Arborio rice. Fry until just translucent. (You should be able to see the crucifix in the rice the Catholics tell me.)
Splash of dry white wine. In our house it's Sauvignon blanc as I detest most Chardonnay but YMMV. Evaporate it.
Slowly add 4 cups (more or less) of chicken stock over the course of 45-ish minutes over reduced heat.
During the early stock addition throw in a few threads of saffron. Yes, I mean real saffron.
As it finishes, comes together, and the liquid absorbs, add a little more butter and finish with grated Parmesan (the real stuff).
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

That's it. That's the $20 per plate risotto the chefs on TV are always going on about. And it's nothing but preps. In fact, it's peasant food (OK, peasant food with saffron). Once you have the basics down there are a myriad of variations. I plan to make mushroom risotto tonight. It's both a side dish and a main dish. And talk about an easy thing for kids. You're having haute-cuisine out of your pantry and a child can help. Pretty cool.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »
  Freeze dried redfish fillets,soaked a couple hours in water with lemon salt to reconstitute.
Blackened on hot grill with bell and banana peppers and onion ,and laid in a bed of cooked long grain rice with lemon pepper.
I added some freeze dried broccoli with reconstituted ,from powder,medium cheddar cheese.

Me and Brandi (my dog) usually eat simpler meals...but the FD redfish had me curious. It was GREAT
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 05:10:22 PM »
Following................
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 06:24:32 AM »
Well we had spaghetti & meatballs.  Noodles from storage, home canned sauce from stock room, meatballs from ground beef and pork in the deep freeze and my "neverending bread crumbs" bag in the freezer.

I did buy heat and eat garlic bread at Aldi's just because it sounded yummy.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
my "neverending bread crumbs" bag in the freezer.

:egyptian:

Got one of those too. Ends of homemade bread loaves.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »

Is that what you throw at the neighbors?

:popcorn:

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

Exactly :). Except I grind them up in the food processor first. Frozen bread is difficult to grind...
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 05:45:23 PM »
Is that what you throw at the neighbors?

:popcorn:

I would never throw food at neighbors. I have bricks for that.  :sarcasm:

Exactly :). Except I grind them up in the food processor first. Frozen bread is difficult to grind...

Well YES  :sarcasm:  though I do have a bag or two of chucks that I thaw and then grind and toast.

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
Super simple food storage Friday today.
Can of chili (Stagg Silverado) and cornbread from a box mix.

Offline LVWood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
Gotta love Chili and Cornbread!!!
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
Homemade Tomato Soup (from pantry ingredients)

About 2 cups dehydrated tomato slices (cover with boiling water and let sit for 15 min. then puree in blender) OR 2-28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes, pureed.

(Are things I always keep in my pantry cheating? I really used fresh onions and butter)
Meanwhile, saute 1 onion in 2 T. butter (you could use dehydrated onions (reconstituted) and canned butter, or even coconut oil) until the onions are translucent.
Mix together:
1/2 c. flour, 1 tsp. dill weed, 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. basil, 1/2 tsp. white pepper, 1 T. parsley (all dried from my garden)
Add flour mixture to onions and butter... coat the onions well with the mixture.
Add the pureed tomatoes plus 1 pint of home-canned chicken stock, plus 1 pint water. Bring to boil and simmer approx. 30 min. Add 2 T. honey, 1 c. shelf-stable cream (or fresh if you are cheating) and 1 cup. milk (can use reconstituted powdered milk). Heat well, but do not boil.

Serve with dollop of homemade yogurt (I really do keep this on hand pretty much all the time, starting one batch from the reserved yogurt from the last batch) :)

This is one of my favorite soups... one hint for those of you who don't care for soup with "chunks"... use your hand blender to get everything nice and smooth before adding the milk/cream/honey.

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »

(Are things I always keep in my pantry cheating? I really used fresh onions and butter)

I wouldn't think it's cheating.  I think it's ok to use things you keep in stock in your fridge or freezer.  I think it's about being resourceful and using food items that you always have on hand vs something you needed to buy special at the store.
Also I think it's about using "mostly" what you've got stored.  I don't store sour cream, but you can bet I'll put a blop of it on my chili tonight.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »
OK... so I made the soup again today... want to add that I sometimes add a bouillon cube if I think it doesn't have enough flavor... and today I also crumbled in some dehydrated spinach from the pantry... can't really notice it, but it adds nutrition to the soup, I think.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
Well tonight we had boneless chicken thighs than had been in the freezer a good while. Seasoned with a homemade rub of stuff from all pantries and cooked in oil in a large covered pan until done and beginning to fall apart. Boiled some linguini from storage, poured the chicken renderings on the linguini and proceeded to make pigs of ourselves.  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »
  Dog and I had egg noodles (the wide ones used for lasagna ) and added cream of chicken powder and vegetable meat substitute chicken fake with some bell pepper,onion and mozzarella cheese powder wit a bit of black pepper. I think it was great and Brandi (my dog) even cleaned the pot.

Link to vegi-chicken :

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Flavored-Vegetarian-Substitute/dp/B00FTEU28M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510962446&sr=8-2&keywords=chicken+augason

No chickens were harmed to make this soup.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 04:56:23 PM »

No chickens were harmed to make this soup.

The old roosters probably appreciated that.

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
We did our "storage" meal Thursday instead.  It just worked out better for our schedule that way.
Nothing fancy, just pasta and sauce from a jar.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »
I need to remember to run this by the boss. I keep forgetting.  :facepalm:

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 06:41:02 AM »
Yes... and I promise to be more creative next week :)

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »
I made a taco of sorts.

Pork ribs (could use canned pork, this was the only fridge thing I used)
Hominy
Onion
Garlic
Chili Powder
Can of salsa
Chicken Broth

Brown the shoulder, then fry the onion and garlic. Slow cook everything for 8 hours. Transfer to pot and boil off excess liquid. Serve on a tortilla with whatever you like to add. For me, it's tomatoes and hot sauce.

It's based on a stew in the America's Test Kitchen book but I figured I could reduce the liquid to make a taco and boy was I right. Helps that my wife loves hominy.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
 :happydance:

Hominy is great. I need to make pozole. Got hominy in storage, dried peppers in storage, several pork shoulders in freezer. Just need time.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 08:08:40 AM »
I need to remember to run this by the boss. I keep forgetting.  :facepalm:

Boss is onboard. Our use of storage food will be real easy. Just open a mason jar of our homemade stew.  ;D

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »
Boss is onboard. Our use of storage food will be real easy. Just open a mason jar of our homemade stew.  ;D

I think the point is that it's easy?
Some folks think food storage is hard or eating it is something you'd only do as a last resort.

We don't store "last resort" food.  We'd happily eat anything that we've got stored.
Our long term storage is only LTS because of the way it's packaged (#10 cans instead of vacuum sealed bags or jars).

But of course, we all already knew all of this.
Hopefully it'll help show some other folks the benefit of the "store what you eat, eat what you store" mentality instead of the "100 lbs of rice and beans that we'll only eat if/when SHTF"

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »
I think the point is that it's easy?
Some folks think food storage is hard or eating it is something you'd only do as a last resort.

We don't store "last resort" food.  We'd happily eat anything that we've got stored.
Our long term storage is only LTS because of the way it's packaged (#10 cans instead of vacuum sealed bags or jars).

But of course, we all already knew all of this.
Hopefully it'll help show some other folks the benefit of the "store what you eat, eat what you store" mentality instead of the "100 lbs of rice and beans that we'll only eat if/when SHTF"

For us it has also reduced the amount of money we spend weekly at a grocery store. Money spent on periodic replenishment also watching the grocery flyers for the loss leaders to help reduce cost. They are often things we store.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
For us it has also reduced the amount of money we spend weekly at a grocery store. Money spent on periodic replenishment also watching the grocery flyers for the loss leaders to help reduce cost. They are often things we store.

10-4 on that. Most what I bought yesterday was sale items.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 08:39:08 AM »
10-4 on that. Most what I bought yesterday was sale items.

I got a coupon for free 4lb. sugar if I spend $20. I only need fresh veggies, wife's cookies and TP. Maybe I'll load up on TP and get the sugar, but as you know I have about 50lbs. of white sugar. Really need to spend more at Aldi's this week.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »
I don't know if it makes my life easier. All I know is that my farmer grandparents instilled a little horse sense. Potatoes in season? Buy 100 lbs. Chicken on sale? Fill the deep freeze.

I don't store much as a finished product beyond what I ferment and maybe a few jars of applesauce left over from a venison dinner.