Author Topic: We need a "whatzit" thread, so here it is.  (Read 1160 times)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
We need a "whatzit" thread, so here it is.
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
I know this is a hand auger, but this one appears to be designed for a specific task. I haven't found any markings on it yet. Any ideas?

Next to a block plane for size reference.

The body is hollow and there is a groove in one side.

The auger bit appears to thread into the tool body.

Never seen an auger bit with "wings" like this.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: We need a "whatzit" thread, so here it is.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »
I believe you have a vintage "bung hole reamer/auger" made to drill tapered holes. It was commonly used in barrel making or furniture making. Cool find!
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
  I was thinking maple tree tap....butt the bung holer sounds more reasonable ::)
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:18:11 PM »
  I was thinking maple tree tap....butt the bung holer sounds more reasonable ::)

I have maple taps. They aren't even close.

There's no good way in modern times to discuss bung holes. But for centuries (and still in whiskey making) there were bungs filling bung holes and it was common to do so.

Carl, I wish I could capture my laughter as I write this. You always make my day with the silly side of technology. I love a good joke.

I actually almost imported a bunch of barrels from Lodi, CA when I worked out there. The vineyards nearly gave them away and as planters in the midwest they would sell. But I got too busy with the actual job to do the contracting and passed. I did learn a lot about barrels.

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »
  If I looked at life too seriously...I would be one miserable old man....but I have always had this attitude .

There is probably a government spec for bung holes ...that makes me laugh a bit too.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:59:46 PM »
  If I looked at life too seriously...I would be one miserable old man....but I have always had this attitude .

There is probably a government spec for bung holes ...that makes me laugh a bit too.

All of this.  :rofl:

Some sort of dibble?
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »
I believe you have a vintage "bung hole reamer/auger" made to drill tapered holes. It was commonly used in barrel making or furniture making. Cool find!

Definitely a cool find, and you are right. I had thought about the maple tap, but it just didn't look right for that purpose. https://www.google.com/patents/US266091 Never would have believed I would find a genuine antique "bung hole reamer" at the scrapyard....of course I didn't know such a thing existed either.  8)

I bet you're right Carl..which is sad, infuriating, and hilarious all at the same time.

Redman posted just before I could submit mine...and now I know what a dibble is.

Aristotle

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 08:00:19 PM »
Definitely a cool find, and you are right. I had thought about the maple tap, but it just didn't look right for that purpose. https://www.google.com/patents/US266091 Never would have believed I would find a genuine antique "bung hole reamer" at the scrapyard....of course I didn't know such a thing existed either.  8)

I bet you're right Carl..which is sad, infuriating, and hilarious all at the same time.

Redman posted just before I could submit mine...and now I know what a dibble is.

I spent almost every weekend growing up on my grandparents farm and this type of tool was very common. I grew up with a sickle and graduated to a scythe. I love vintage tools. And as a woodworker the cooper tools have always been a hit. Of course my wife joked that "bung hole reamer" sounds like a sex toy. Made me laugh.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:27 AM »
Well I can't find the pictures of the dibble I have on my camera card, computer or a forum where I posted them.  :(
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
I finally found it on that forum.

There are other styles/shapes also.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 07:52:48 PM »
David: I grew up on, and still live on, my great grandparents farm.  :) Most of the family does too. I have an anvil that's been in the family for at least three(possibly four) generations now, and I'm pretty certain the forge pan and blower are around the same vintage.

Redman: I'm almost certain I've seen one exactly like that somewhere and had no idea what it was at the time.

Aristotle

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
David: I grew up on, and still live on, my great grandparents farm.  :) Most of the family does too. I have an anvil that's been in the family for at least three(possibly four) generations now, and I'm pretty certain the forge pan and blower are around the same vintage.

Redman: I'm almost certain I've seen one exactly like that somewhere and had no idea what it was at the time.

If you knew the pain that the only thing I have to show from my great-great-grandfather's farm is the scythe I restored. My dad and his sister bickered the politics of the farm and sold it off as acreage. If I had a barn I'd still have my ancestor's saddle.

I love the old tools. They had a craftsman vibe. You actually had to know how to use them. When you put hands on  the tools of a cooper or boatwright you feel it deep.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
New "whatzit's". I know what one of these is, and I'm pretty certain of what a second one is. The third(the one in the center of the top two)...I have absolutely no idea.

Aristotle

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
Not a single guess?

The pistol grip tool is a small saw set. Used for bending the teeth of a saw slightly off center after sharpening to create a wider kerf and keep the body of the saw from binding in the cut. These are still easy to find new, and they are somewhat specific to the size and pitch of the saw. I'm not sure what pitch this one is for since the markings are pretty much gone, so I guess I'll just have to try it out.

The tool with the hand crank and rubber suction cup on the end is a valve lapping tool. Turning the crank spins the shaft a few degrees, then it reverses and spins the other direction a few degrees. Sure beats stealing the kid's toy darts and spinning one by hand.

The really weird tool in the center is actually a tenon cutter made by the AA Wood and Sons Co. for use with a hand brace. I got really lucky when the light hit it just right and I found the manufacturers name on the bottom. The first google result for that company name turned up this exact tool.

Aristotle

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:27:55 PM »
You find some weird stuff. ;D

Kinda fun to see examples of old-time ingenuity that got built without the aid of a computer.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »
Knew the first and third but didn't recognize the tenon cutter.

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
Not a single guess?

I was going to suggest some kind of pipe cutter but I couldn't quite make out what the other stuff on there was for. I know some of the old tools but not them all.  ;D

They really are a pleasure to see. I hope you are using them to decorate your shop. That's what I did with the scythe and a drawknife from my grandfather. Now gramps' vise is bolted to my lathe cart and gets used regularly.

Keep them coming, it's something I love to see.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 03:45:19 PM »
The way I see it, lots of things are still as useful as they were decades ago and I don't just mean as decorations or reminders. No reason to let it rust into oblivion or end up in a scrapyard(sadly I find a lot of things there that are beyond salvaging). Everything in the newest post came from a flea market. Dad said he saw an odd hand plane at one vendor...the vendor claimed it was for removing the stamps on wooden crates so they could be restamped and used again. I didn't see it or I would have at least taken a picture. Someone had likely already bought it by the time I made the rounds.

By all means, someone else find some weird old rusty junk and post it here.  ;D   ;D  I like rusty junk. I like weird rusty junk even better.  ;)

David, I need to build a usable workshop before I can decorate it.  :'( The shop I have now was my grandfathers and was never a really good work space. Drafty and cold in the winter, blazing hot in the summer. The wife is quite ready for me to build a new shop, but we haven't sat down to figure out what it's going to cost for what I want.

Aristotle

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
 :popcorn: I must watch this one.  I have always loved to look at tools and try to figure out what it is and what it is used for.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:02:31 PM »
I guessed all 3.  ;D ;D

I'll see if I can dig up something. I've got stuff stashed everywhere.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 03:51:36 AM »
Knew the first and third and figured the second was some sort of woodworking tool that fit into a brace.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 07:23:05 AM »
This may not be an antique but was unfamiliar to me.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »
That one is used to split fire wood .

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Yep

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 04:01:06 PM »
wow. cool whatzits there.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 04:53:51 PM »
I've never used one of those, but seen a few though. I can't imagine that it would work any better than a proper maul or good splitting axe. Definitely a weird design...maybe I'm wrong.

More weird rusty junk please!  ;D

Aristotle