Author Topic: The Best and Worst Cities in America to Survive the Apocalypse  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
The Best and Worst Cities in America to Survive the Apocalypse
« on: November 08, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
From Realtor..com no less...

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/best-and-worst-spots-to-go-to-survive-the-apocalypse/

Seems like they actually put a bit of thought into this.

The location you call home could mean the difference between life and death in the face of utter disaster—but the safest place depends on what kind of disaster we're talking about. That’s where the realtor.com® data team comes in. We donned our biohazard gear, pulled together a gross of canned goods and filtered water and set our sights on the best—and worst—metros to to survive two wildly different end-of-days scenarios: a nuclear calamity (more terrifying every day, thank you Kim Jong Un) and a zombie apocalypse (hey, it could happen).

Don’t ask us which is worse.

There are home features, like impregnable panic rooms, that could increase your chance of remaining among the living during an attack of the  walking dead, or any fast-spreading, deadly contagion. But if your panic room is located in the middle of a big city, then your odds go down. Large urban centers are like all-you-can-eat buffets for zombies—all those delectable brains! Meanwhile, a bunker or fallout shelter could save your skin during a nuclear attack—unless it’s right near a military base, making it a top target.

Decisions, decisions.

“Surviving a disaster will often have more to do with where you are than with any other factor,” says Richard Duarte, a Miami-based personal injury attorney and author of the book “Surviving Doomsday.” “Finding yourself in a highly populated urban center, competing with violent crowds for dwindling resources, will usually not end well. If the scarcity doesn’t get you, the resulting chaos certainly will.”

“On the other hand, being in a low-density rural location, with more abundant natural resources, and far fewer mouths to feed, will dramatically increase your chances of surviving the crisis,” he says.

So we looked at a variety of criteria that could mean the difference between life, death, and the fate of the walking undead. We looked at the 200 largest U.S. metros and only included one per state. Our criteria included:*

-  Percentage of realtor.com home listings with a lake, pond, or well (for drinking water)
  -  Percentage of listings with a safe room or panic room
  -  Percentage listings with a bunker, fallout shelter, or underground shelter
  -  Percentage of listings with solar panels or hydropower (to fuel your home if the grid goes dark)
  -  Population density
  -  Percentage of active military and federal government employees (nuke targets)
  -  Percentage of health care workers
  -  Percentage of manufacturing workers (more nuke targets)
  -  State gun score (tracking the ability to stockpile weapons)
  -  Percentage of landmass covered by fresh water

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: The Best and Worst Cities in America to Survive the Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing... not too far down from the top was this:

“On the other hand, being in a low-density rural location, with more abundant natural resources, and far fewer mouths to feed, will dramatically increase your chances of surviving the crisis,” he says.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »
This is great info. We are to close to military bases. So not in a good location. Also three and a half hours outside of Wash. DC.  If something really bad happens and we have enough time we are going to head up to my grandparents old homestead. It is located in Lynchburg VA so we should be fairly safe there.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:49:26 PM »
Interesting read, thanks K.  Crestview's not bad, though it is a little close to Eglin and Hulbert AFBs and Pensacola NAS is next door.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »
What about the elect in the American Redoubt?

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 06:35:27 AM »
Damn....

This is actually one of the things i think about the most... If/when SHTF where do I go ? Bug in or go to my BOL ? And with the help from people in this forum, I came to realize that it depends… there is no “Rule of Thumb” for this question…

The #1 thing to do is access which kind of disaster one is facing. Is it a WROL situation? Natural Disaster? Financial Collapse? Power Grid failure?  Because the decision making process starts here right ? Knowing what will hit you so you can face it or get out of its way…

In my case, I live in a city that has 25 million people. Also, I know that a power grid failure or WROL situations are what I have to prep for, so my plan is go to BOL. With 25 million people in my city, there is no way bugging-in will be viable. Things will get ugly VERY fast.

Thanks for sharing ! Always a good topic to think about…

Offline redrider

• Prepper
  • Purveyor of Post Drills
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »
San Luis Obispo and Duluth made both lists. Interesting.

But staying where I am. Rural beats any city.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:45:02 AM »
     Odd that there aren't safe havens on the pacific coast. As I remember, with fallout going east with the prevailing winds, the rural West Coast was prime survivalist territory.

Offline Skyliner

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
San Luis Obispo and Duluth made both lists. Interesting.

As someone who grew up in Duluth, you can trust me when I say it is not someplace you want to be when things get bad.
Beautiful scenery, lousy government and full of welfare freeloaders.