Author Topic: Carjackings and Trunk Troubles  (Read 6347 times)

Goatdog62

Carjackings and Trunk Troubles
« on: June 09, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »
I apologize in advance for starting this as a new thread, but my entry on escaping from a carjacking/kidnapping was #45 on the Thug Avoidance thread. Since it is a different subject, I thought it might be easier to find with its own title.

I plan to do others on Personal Security, High Performance Driving, Survival, etc. I have a few that best belong in the Lady Survivors area and some that will go elsewhere. Feel free to comment. I'm not doing it in a lesson plan format, just rambling on with what I have memorized. If I used my lesson plans, it would take a very long time to write.

Defeating a carjacker/kidnapper/rapist/murder

How do you know the difference? You probably won't, so treat them all the same. Some states won't allow you to use deadly force to protect your private property, but how are you supposed to know he only wanted your car? You won't, and your story to the cops needs to say so. "You were in fear for your life and/or the life of others." Practice saying that and never forget to say it when asked.

Many abductions take place in the victims own car. You can be made to drive, to sit in the passenger seat, the back seat, the floorboard, or the trunk.

If driving, there are a number of options you have. A weapon may be pointed at your head or ribs. He and you may or may not be belted in. You may have an airbag, he may not. KNOW YOUR CAR VERY WELL. Wrecking the car intentionally may be a viable option...I can't make that call for you, though I know I would based on my training and experience. A violent sudden brake from a high speed that you know is coming and his unbelted ass doesn't may send his head into the windshield. The bottom line is this; make every effort not to reach the destination he has decided to take you to. It will fit his needs and not yours.

Place edged weapons within easy reach of all those locales (adjust if you have children). If he gets you in the car somehow, get it when he is distracted. Remember, he will be stressed and nervous also. An opportunity could very well present itself. When you get it, don't threaten him with it he could disarm you. Use it on his neck, eyes, or groin violently and repeatedly.

From the floorboard, at least try to track the time and direction you are moving in. This may be useful later. If you've hidden a weapon under the seat, now would be a good time to retrieve it.

Even if you aren't abducted in your own car, don't despair. Feel around for the tire tool (have many case histories where that was left in there). Feel for the lock mechanism, usually it is intact as the manufacturer meant it to be. If a bad guy disables the trunk mechanism it makes it real hard for him to get back in there to get you out. Take action, panic later.

Trunks;

Trunks are designed to keep people out. Even old trunks. I escaped from a mid 70's Ford LTD, in a training scenario, by manipulating the mechanism. New trunks are even easier.

We'll start from the top;

1. Prep your trunk by putting weapons, tools, old cell that still has 911 capability (many do), flashlight, etc hidden within. Use them to kill your attacker, call for help, escape from your restraints, etc.

2. As you are being loaded in the trunk by the bad guy (BG), attempt to leave evidence on the outside. Blood smears (if you're already bleeding, use it) on the bumper, clothing dropped on the ground, break a tail light, etc

3. When in the trunk and you have gotten out of any ropes, duct tape, etc (different thread maybe someday) if any, start working the lock. Newer cars have a glow in the dark tag that basically says "pull here dummy" on it. Don't pull it until you are 100% ready to make your attempt, but don't wait until you are well out of town and on that long, lonely gravel road either. Even if he has removed the glow in the dark tag, the mechanism will remain. If you've hidden a flashlight, get to that first. Light can also be obtained by turning the brake or tail light sockets a half turn and bringing the attached bulb and socket into the trunk area. This is easier on some cars than others. Insulation may have to be pulled off its plastic rivets to gain access to tail lights and lock mechanisms. Disabling tail lights can get the cops to pull the car over. This may make the BG take off and a pursuit will ensue, but that is better than dying at the end of a gravel road at the hands of the perp. If you can find the tire tool, you may be able to smash the tail light lenses and get your fingers out there to wave at traffic behind you. Maybe they'll be astute enough to call the cops.

4. From where the key is inserted into the lock cylinder to where it attaches to the lock mechanism are rods, fixed or unfixed. Manipulate the rods if they are unfixed and the trunk should pop. If they are fixed, find the plastic linkage that links it to another rod. Disconnect that plastic linkage by pulling it laterally from the other. It will come apart easily. Then move it to pop the trunk.

5. If that doesn't work, then feel along the flanges of the lid itself, along the struts that prop the trunk open, and elsewhere for a cable that is roughly as thick as a 550 cord. Pull it to trigger the lock mechanism.

6. If that doesn't work then get your fingers into the lock mechanism itself (where it latches shut). You may have to move insulation out of the way first. Move things that move. One of them will trigger the lock. Of all the worlds current vehicles, I have only identified 11 different kinds of lock mechanisms on them, most are very similar. Learn yours when not under stress. Go out there and figure it out. Show your kids how to do it to.

7. If left in the trunk after parking and you don't hear him around, consider attacking the back seat. Some fold down but not easy to do from the trunk side. Check for a ski pole center section that you can widen with the tire tool or attack the seat itself with it to tear it up. This will take time but how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

8. Unless parked in the sun in the summer, you probably won't suffocate or heat stroke. Trunks get enough air to keep you breathing. Don't let the panic overwhelm you. Take breather breaks to get your sh*t together. It will suck, there is no doubt about that, but a trunk is not a bank safe.

My two cents. YMMV

Goatdog 

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Carjackings and Trunk Troubles
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »
Thanks again, Goatdog, for sharing your knowledge with us.  These are very important for women or anyone to know in order to survive.  +1

Goatdog62

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:38 PM »
You are welcome Monkeyboyf, I hope you never have to use it.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 12:05:05 AM »
Only one tool needed, Trunk Monkey! ;D

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:46:20 AM »
My biggest piece of advice is dont get in the car or trunk. Make them kill you where you stand. If you let him take you somewhere, he can kill you on his time, and dispose of evedence on his time. I would rather be killed in a mall parking lot with cameras and other people, then be raped for days and then killed.

Goatdog62

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
My biggest piece of advice is dont get in the car or trunk. Make them kill you where you stand. If you let him take you somewhere, he can kill you on his time, and dispose of evedence on his time. I would rather be killed in a mall parking lot with cameras and other people, then be raped for days and then killed.

I agree, but you can be PHYSICALLY loaded into a car trunk no matter what your resistance level. We practice it frequently.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 06:00:17 PM »
1. Prep your trunk by putting weapons, tools, old cell that still has 911 capability (many do), flashlight, etc hidden within. Use them to kill your attacker, call for help, escape from your restraints, etc.
Excellent advice.  Turn your trunk into your safe room.

I know where that extra .357 is going now. 

Goatdog62

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 11:50:51 PM »
Excellent advice.  Turn your trunk into your safe room.

I know where that extra .357 is going now. 

Excellent choice for a trunk gun. Uber-reliable and excellent penetration. The bad guy will spend his last seconds shaking like a cat shitting on a block of ice!

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:53:40 PM »
Excellent advice. Being devil's advocate here, I can't get stuffed into my own trunk because I don't have one. In fact the last three cars I have owned were all vans. Doesn't mean someone can't force me into their trunk though.

Goatdog62

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »
Floorboard of your van is what they would likely use. Makes it easy, plant things under the seat(s) that give you the edge. I know you have a son, so think it through.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
Excellent advice. Thank you for sharing! i had no idea about the pull tag, good to know.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
Great post, Goatdog. +1 for the lives you have probably saved.

Goatdog62

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »
Thanks LD. That thread has been dead for 11 months. Might be close to a TSP record for resurrection.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
OMG! Got all excited thinking Goatdog had written us a new installment of tips. Bummer :'(

Offline MediumFrenchFry

• Prepper
  • Not without a fight.
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 07:12:09 AM »
Thank you for the precious advice Goatdog. Joined TSP not too long ago and def missed out on that one. Very insightful and never even thought of what i'd do in those situations. Thumb up! :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 05:06:32 PM »
I'm really glad this one got bumped back up to the top again. This should be one that filters back up every now and then so that newcomers have a chance to get this information.

Thanks again, Goaty.