Author Topic: How do I block a particular user from commenting in a Topic I post?  (Read 632 times)

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
If a user posts particularly ignorant comments which derail a topic I created, how can I block them to preserve the good flow of conversation?
It's natural to have antenna envy from time to time...
I have it every time I drive past VOA.

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
Re: How do I block a particular user from commenting in a Topic I post?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
PM the moderator would probably work...
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
I am sure a moderator will talk to you, but actually, looking at the post in question, your reply is the one that will be considered way out of line for this forum. If someone made a mistake, blasting them like that is rude.
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 01:53:02 PM »
I am sure a moderator will talk to you, but actually, looking at the post in question, your reply is the one that will be considered way out of line for this forum. If someone made a mistake, blasting them like that is rude.

Huh? 
First, I PM'ed the user in question and asked -politely- for them to delete the comment.  No response.
Second, the post is promoting known malware - which should result in an immediate ban.
Third, I really just want to keep the thread on topic ,and help folks learn about how to best use ham radio as a part of their preps.
Lastly, I have no tolerance for trolls, and this users posts in various Topics look like trolling to me.  A lot like it.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »
Huh? 
First, I PM'ed the user in question and asked -politely- for them to delete the comment.  No response.
Second, the post is promoting known malware - which should result in an immediate ban.
Third, I really just want to keep the thread on topic ,and help folks learn about how to best use ham radio as a part of their preps.
Lastly, I have no tolerance for trolls, and this users posts in various Topics look like trolling to me.  A lot like it.

I see that you are new to the forum, so welcome!  We love to have new information from new sources.

no one can delete comments except the moderator.
If there is malware being promoted, there is a "report this post to a moderator" button - I have generally received almost immediate response when I have done that.
we do get a little off topic around here.  it is part of our charm.  If it gets too OT, politely mention that we are drifting from the topic at hand, and adroitly lead the conversation back to the point of the post.
Finally, I went searching for the topic you seem to be referring to, and the person of whom you speak is in a different country, timezone, and generally has GREAT comments.  Albeit from a different cultural and language perspective. He may be asking a very valid question, based on his limited knowledge of the topic in question.
And seriously, you out to go back and read his on-the-ground reports from the Greek financial crisis a few years back.  Talk about living the "if times get rough" snippet.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »

I see that you are new to the forum, so welcome!  We love to have new information from new sources.

no one can delete comments except the moderator.
If there is malware being promoted, there is a "report this post to a moderator" button - I have generally received almost immediate response when I have done that.

Finally, I went searching for the topic you seem to be referring to, and the person of whom you speak is in a different country, timezone, and generally has GREAT comments.  Albeit from a different cultural and language perspective. He may be asking a very valid question, based on his limited knowledge of the topic in question...

I did PM the user. 

I did [Report this Post].

No response to either. (well, the user did finally reply, but not until after I made my comment in the thread)

Unfortunately, the "question" wasn't even a question.  It was a gross mis-statement (and insinuation) of false info that would confuse and mislead those not knowledgeable WRT ham radio and digital modes.  Being a purely technical subject where 'culture and opinion' are irrelevant, his post was egregiously off topic in any language.

AND he brought the suggestion of an application into the thread which had no possible connection to the purposes being discussed.
An application which can't do anything resembling what the topic was created to discuss.
An application which installs known malware if it is "given a try" by any novice/ unsuspecting user.

AND THAT is malicious trolling.

FWIW,  Ham radio geeks have our own language of sorts - we're good at figuring things out on the fly, and making things meet in the middle. I have conversed with Russians, Germans, Finns, and etc who are hams without difficulty on many occasions.  His post looked nothing like those experiences.

Sorry for the kerfuffle, but like I said, trolls get zero tolerance from me - they get exposed and shamed when they come and disrupt threads I've created, because that is how you keep them out (short of banning them completely).

/LR

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 03:42:48 PM »
I'm sorry it took a whole 5 hours for a moderator to notice your reported post, but we are not on duty 24/7.

There is not a way to block a particular user from commenting in a topic that you start.  This is a forum, not a Facebook page.  We're here for discussion.

If you think a member has posted something incorrect, you can correct them politely.  If you think they have recommended dangerous software, you can also provide that information politely.

Your accusations against Greekman in "your" thread are insulting and constitute a personal attack, which is in violation of the forum Terms of Service.  I will be removing those posts shortly when I have a few spare minutes.  Please adjust your attitude.

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »

Your accusations against Greekman in "your" thread are insulting and constitute a personal attack,

I'm sorry.  I though I was stating facts. 
I observed the following - his base premise (that a hardware TNC was required for the radio modes in question was false); his suggestion to use the Die&wolf software was grossly improper (Die&wolf doesn't do any of the modes being discussed) and constitutes a danger to any following his suggestion (may install malware).

I also observed that --on other technical topics-- he has made equally incorrect and thread-derailing comments. 

How is any of this a personal attack?

And please lets not forget that I did PM him first. 
He chose not to respond... but then PMed me within minutes of me posting my public comment.

I understand that your objective is to minimize 'friction' on the board, and I agree that maintaining civil order is essential to effective sharing of information.  But how do we balance that need for order and civility with the need to prevent derailing of threads by "innocent" but ignorant people being the proverbial "Bull in a China Shop"??  I've quit posting on another forum for exactly this reason...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
How is any of this a personal attack?

Well, let's see... "disinformation and ignorance", "your implication is patently false", "your attempted derailment of the thread towards this application is blatant", "a wrapper of technical illiteracy".  You implied he was intentionally promoting malware, and you made fun of his spelling (yes, he is really a Greek man -- this is an international forum).  In this thread you called him a troll, and told us how you plan to be a moderator without anyone inviting you to be a moderator ("they get exposed and shamed when they come and disrupt threads I've created, because that is how you keep them out").

But how do we balance that need for order and civility with the need to prevent derailing of threads by "innocent" but ignorant people being the proverbial "Bull in a China Shop"??

We balance those needs by being civil and polite, and explaining the error or disagreement without insults and accusations.

I've quit posting on another forum for exactly this reason...

Feel free to do the same here, if you can't be polite.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 05:05:47 PM »
I did PM the user. 

I did [Report this Post].

No response to either. (well, the user did finally reply, but not until after I made my comment in the thread)

Unfortunately, the "question" wasn't even a question.  It was a gross mis-statement (and insinuation) of false info that would confuse and mislead those not knowledgeable WRT ham radio and digital modes.  Being a purely technical subject where 'culture and opinion' are irrelevant, his post was egregiously off topic in any language.

AND he brought the suggestion of an application into the thread which had no possible connection to the purposes being discussed.
An application which can't do anything resembling what the topic was created to discuss.
An application which installs known malware if it is "given a try" by any novice/ unsuspecting user.

AND THAT is malicious trolling.

FWIW,  Ham radio geeks have our own language of sorts - we're good at figuring things out on the fly, and making things meet in the middle. I have conversed with Russians, Germans, Finns, and etc who are hams without difficulty on many occasions.  His post looked nothing like those experiences.

Sorry for the kerfuffle, but like I said, trolls get zero tolerance from me - they get exposed and shamed when they come and disrupt threads I've created, because that is how you keep them out (short of banning them completely).

/LR

The person you are refering to is a very valuable member f this forum with alot of interesting prepping perspectives ! Absolutely NOT a Troll. A troll is a person purposely stirring up trouble, which he is absolutely NOT ! He is trying to be helpful and letting know what worked for him.

On this forum, if you think someone has made a mistake in what they are recomending, you talk about it in polite ways  -- you made a personal attack ! SO, you would say, "oh, You recomend using xyz software. My experience has been that this is malware and to be avoided. (and give an example of this). Instead, I have found it better to...."
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »
Take it from a guy who often wades way too deep. Let cooler heads prevail. I've had stuff taken down that didn't make sense and I've had stuff stay up that I kinda wish was taken down.

Don't take it personally. Usually a couple PMs clear up things. A lot of topics get in the weeds and then dragged out to deep water where we drown.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline LodeRunner

• Prepper
  • Let the sparks fly...
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 11:20:30 PM »

The person you are refering to is a very valuable member f this forum with alot of interesting prepping perspectives ! Absolutely NOT a Troll. A troll is a person purposely stirring up trouble, which he is absolutely NOT ! He is trying to be helpful and letting know what worked for him.

On this forum, if you think someone has made a mistake in what they are recomending, you talk about it in polite ways  -- you made a personal attack ! SO, you would say, "oh, You recomend using xyz software. My experience has been that this is malware and to be avoided. (and give an example of this). Instead, I have found it better to...."

Female.  Thirty-something.  Middle class, of working class parents.  Primary education at public schools in a north-eastern (extremely progressive) state.  Beginners degree in "Liberal arts".  Doesn't even bother to check spelling "becuz ppl will understand anyway".  No background in hard science, and no experience doing hard things.  Categorically incapable of discerning the difference between facts and absolutes vs. feelings and opinions.  Repulsed at the proposition that some people don't belong in some discussions because "feewings get hurt that way".

Well, let's see... "disinformation and ignorance", "your implication is patently false", "your attempted derailment of the thread towards this application is blatant", "a wrapper of technical illiteracy".  You implied he was intentionally promoting malware, and you made fun of his spelling (yes, he is really a Greek man -- this is an international forum).  In this thread you called him a troll, and told us how you plan to be a moderator without anyone inviting you to be a moderator ("they get exposed and shamed when they come and disrupt threads I've created, because that is how you keep them out").

We balance those needs by being civil and polite, and explaining the error or disagreement without insults and accusations.

Feel free to do the same here, if you can't be polite.

Male.  Typical first-generation SJW, i.e. frustrated Progressive ideologue.  Young end of the boomer spectrum.  Menial administrative duties, no opportunity for advancement in employment.  Un disciplined, over weight, and out of shape; couldn't run a mile.  Period.  Has non-epileptic seizure disorder - can't regulate diet and insulin properly? 

"Wants to be a moderator without being invited".  Oh, would that threaten your little patch of pseudo-authority, Bill?
I guess in your sheltered little world, you don't realize that on most web forums, the OP does in fact get to regulate the postings in THEIR thread(s) - i.e. deleting off-topic or inappropriate replies, and blocking users who post same.  And yes, the tread does belong to the OP, because they put the work into preparing and composing it because THEY HAVE SOMETHING they are willing to share.  You know, 'intellectual property' and 'Rights of the First Speaker' and all that.

Got it...  I'm outta here.  Have fun soiling your little playpen -
I didn't come here to change diapers, tolerate trolls, or suffer fools. 
Those are the three strikes, and you folks hit 'em all, right off the bat.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:32:14 PM »
And we're done....
23:57:30

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
damn, i missed all that.... i think his IP needs some attention...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/