Author Topic: Pistol safe for daily use  (Read 1156 times)

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
Pistol safe for daily use
« on: November 21, 2017, 04:24:40 AM »
I'm researching edc gun safes. I used to lock mine in the bottom of a gun rack I made when my kids were little. It worked fine but I want to get my son in-law one for Christmas. I've looked at everything from a $40 Stack-on to a $220 Fort Knox.

I'm seeing that the bio-metrics can't really be trusted 100%. Others have battery draining issues. Some make too much noise and beep alot.

My son in-law carries and I want him to have a nice easy way to lock his handgun up as I'm expecting a grand baby before long. I could make him a gun rack like mine (and I might) but I want him to have a quick, no excuses, easy way to lock up his edc. I don't want my 1st grand baby touching it. I'll probably be buying 2 because I should get one for myself also.

I'm wondering what you all use. 
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in it's best state is but a necessary evil ; In its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Pistol safe for daily use
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:37 AM »
I have one of the Nano combo safes for each of my vehicles. They would do what you are looking for and they're not overly expensive. I'm currently wanting one for my bedroom because it's upstairs and my safe is downstairs. I've been looking into a simplex-type lock box but haven't settled on one. It seems that every one I look at has a few people who talk about it not being 100% reliable. It's disconcerting to read those types of reviews when the item I'm looking at needs to be 100% reliable.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
I use the aforementioned Fort Knox pistol box. To me it is a sweet spot in terms of preventing physical defeats, being quick access and not dependent on batteries.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
I've been leaning towards the Fort Knox for my bedroom. Can it be bolted down?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
I've been leaning towards the Fort Knox for my bedroom. Can it be bolted down?

Yes there are four holes in the bottom that you can use to bolt it down.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
OK... probably will end up with that one then. I like the idea of being able to bolt it down to be an additional deterrent.

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »
I use a battery model. Just like the smoke detectors overhead and the flashlight next to the box. I've opened it twice in a hurry (multiple police cars in our dead end) and I like the fingerprint option.

I'd prefer the Cadillac (Fort Knox) but what I have works for me.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »
I'm a fan of the Shotlock safes.  Simple, mechanical, time tested lock; no batteries, no biometrics, no problems.  Variety of form factors.  Easy to open in the dark and it's quiet.  Have one for myself and my wife.  Great for when the grandkids are over.

https://www.shotlock.com/

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 02:40:23 AM »
It seems that every one I look at has a few people who talk about it not being 100% reliable. It's disconcerting to read those types of reviews when the item I'm looking at needs to be 100% reliable.

That's what I'm finding. I know I should take the wisdom of the crowd review but there's always something that makes me keep looking.
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in it's best state is but a necessary evil ; In its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:50:30 AM »
I use the aforementioned Fort Knox pistol box. To me it is a sweet spot in terms of preventing physical defeats, being quick access and not dependent on batteries.

So far I'm thinking you're right. Seems like a heck of a safe in all cases. It's a buy once cry once deal. Do you have the front loaded or the top opened model?
Black & Gold.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 03:03:02 AM »
I'm a fan of the Shotlock safes.  Simple, mechanical, time tested lock; no batteries, no biometrics, no problems.  Variety of form factors.  Easy to open in the dark and it's quiet.  Have one for myself and my wife.  Great for when the grandkids are over.

https://www.shotlock.com/

Looking into these now. Thanks
Black & Gold.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:51 AM »
The Shotlock does look interesting. Same type of mechanism that the Fort Knox has at about half the cost...

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
So far I'm thinking you're right. Seems like a heck of a safe in all cases. It's a buy once cry once deal. Do you have the front loaded or the top opened model?

Top opening model. 

I have heard that a patient person can defeat the lock by using systematic attempt to guess the combination (the mechanical lock does not lock you out after a certain number of attempts), but that would require significant time investment (the safe would likely need to be removed and taken to a safe location and hours invested to find the combo).  I have dealt with that by 1) bolting it to furniture to make moving it more inconvenient to remove and 2) not using the safe for securing guns for long periods of time.  With the second, that means when I go out of town everything goes in the big safe (very large, man height gun safe).  The Fort Knox pistol box is to secure ready to use firearms that I carry regularly from casual access. 

The Shotlock AR variant is calling my name.  Once again, I intend that to be used, when I am home, to secure a "ready" intended AR.  Its default setting will be empty, with the AR being stored in it only when I intend to be home for a protracted period of time.

Securing them from theft is a pretty big concern of mine.  No member of my extended family (to my knowledge) has shot or had to threaten to shoot someone.  There have been plural instances of family members who have had their homes burglarized and firearms pilfered.
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »
Yeah, I love the idea of the shotgun mount. I intend for that to be my HD weapon after my pistol. I have stairs that double back presenting a fatal funnel that will take a significant amount of time for a BG to get up. If I ever have a home invasion the plan is to move the kids to my closet (all bedrooms are upstairs, closet is furthest from bedroom entrance) and cover the stairs while my wife calls 911. I'd rather have insurance replace what was stolen than potentially take a life or have mine taken trying to be a hero.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 05:11:31 AM »
My main requirements are that it's safe from little fingers and easy to use everyday. I'd want it to be an easy dependable open though. It should have room for 2 guns so that my daughter can also use it when she's home alone. Any safe should have a key over ride but to me those keys should be well hid for a safe like this.

A mechanical lock with only battery powered illumination seems like the best idea to me.
Black & Gold.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 08:45:46 AM »
My main requirements are that it's safe from little fingers and easy to use everyday. I'd want it to be an easy dependable open though. It should have room for 2 guns so that my daughter can also use it when she's home alone. Any safe should have a key over ride but to me those keys should be well hid for a safe like this.

A mechanical lock with only battery powered illumination seems like the best idea to me.

One thought is potentially budgeting for two pistol boxes in the future.  For myself the box has gotten crowded.  I have my G19, my wife's G19 (this one with a light) and a G43 for an additional carry option. It is snug in there and I don't have room to keep anything else in it (like a handheld flashlight).  Additionally, it is on one side of the bed (on a night stand) and is problematic to access for the person on the other side of the bed.  I need to get a second box so there can be one on each side of the bed. Each will have one gun, one light and maybe the deep concealment gun.  I have meant to for a while...but its sooo expensive...except I have the money to have just bought another gun  ::)  The pull of the shiny is strong, the pull of the mundane prep less so  ;D
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »
The pull of the shiny is strong, the pull of the mundane prep less so  ;D

Truer words have never been spoken.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 05:57:09 AM »
Chemsoldier, I know what you mean. I'm not sure how he'll want to use it but I'll be asking "will that gun be locked up??". I'll ride him like a very annoying inlaw.
Black & Gold.