Author Topic: Freezer alarm?  (Read 597 times)

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
Freezer alarm?
« on: November 22, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »
I have a chest freezer and an upright refrigerator/freezer in the basement that have a lot of perishable food items in them.
They are mostly used for storage of extra food items before they come upstairs to the kitchen refrigerator/freezer.
This time of year there is some venison in there that we especially don't want to lose.
Next month the hog is getting slaughtered and we'll have that meat down there also.
As we aren't in those downstairs freezers every day (or even once a week sometimes), I'd like to have a way to know if the temperature in them is getting too high due to a malfunction or parts breakage.
I'm not worried about a power failure as the indicators of that are very apparent here.
I've tried some freezer alarms from Amazon, but none of them have proved reliable.
If there are any other relevant threads on this subject please point them out to me.
Thanks.
Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Offline Lockdown

• Prepper
Re: Freezer alarm?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
If you want a DIY solution, Arduino or raspberry Pi have a lot of solutions for monitoring events. I have no electronic or programming experience and have two projects going. One will control the safe light, enlarger, and print exposure in my darkroom, the other will monitor temp, humidity, soil moisture, water, heat, etc in a greenhouse. There are many projects and examples on line that can be used with no or very  few program modifications. Or it can take over your life.

Lockdown
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

H. L. Mencken

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
I've tried some freezer alarms from Amazon, but none of them have proved reliable.
If there are any other relevant threads on this subject please point them out to me.

When you say "havent proved reliable" what do you mean?  Did they quit working or did a calibtation issue arise where they didnt trigger properly?

They simplest solution may to put two devices on with temperature screens and occasionally check them vs one another.  This way you can see both drift in calibration and also if one breaks you have a backup still runing.  Reundancy is the key to mission critical systems.

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:43:48 AM »
I DIY’d one years ago, dependable, and has saved the food in the freezer several times.
Used a commercial Ranco mechanical thermostat with a remote temp probe I ran inside the freezer, thermostat adjustable from 0 to 50. Ran 2 wires from the normally open contacts to a .....smoke detector😁. Just need to solder the wires across the metal “test” contacts so that if the thermostat contacts close on temp rise, the detector goes off. If the battery gets low, the thing beeps, and it’s still a smoke detector!
Stayed up all night wondering where the sun went,
Then it dawned on me.....

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:18:42 PM »
Montag... that sounds very good. I'm going to mention that to my husband. We have our spare freezer out in the garage, along with the second refrigerator, but we are out there every day, so the risk is lower that the OP. However... we do have the occasional situation that one of the boys (or the husband) doesn't quite get the door shut properly...

Thank you! +1

Offline FreeThinker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 07:22:08 AM »
I DIY’d one years ago, dependable, and has saved the food in the freezer several times.
Used a commercial Ranco mechanical thermostat with a remote temp probe I ran inside the freezer, thermostat adjustable from 0 to 50. Ran 2 wires from the normally open contacts to a .....smoke detector😁. Just need to solder the wires across the metal “test” contacts so that if the thermostat contacts close on temp rise, the detector goes off. If the battery gets low, the thing beeps, and it’s still a smoke detector!

Nice hack!

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 04:37:44 PM »
I've been using the unit linked below for over 4 years without issue. The transmitters MUST have lithium batteries installed due to the low temperatures in the freezer.

https://smile.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986A2-Refrigerator-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78/

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Thanks for all the replys.
If you want a DIY solution...
I'm looking for an off the shelf solution.
When you say "havent proved reliable" what do you mean?
The units just stopped working or wouldn't receive the wireless signal (see my comment below).
I've been using the unit linked below for over 4 years without issue. The transmitters MUST have lithium batteries installed due to the low temperatures in the freezer.

https://smile.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986A2-Refrigerator-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78/
Special K - glad they worked out for you - that's the exact units I had so much trouble with - even with the lithium batteries.
Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!