Author Topic: What knife are you carrying now?  (Read 7202 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What knife are you carrying now?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »
OK, I'm doing a little bragging here but yesterday I got my Benchmade Adamas. Been wanting one for a while and finally bought one. I like it but it's just a little more knife than I need.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 12:14:05 PM »
OK, I'm doing a little bragging here but yesterday I got my Benchmade Adamas. Been wanting one for a while and finally bought one. I like it but it's just a little more knife than I need.

Pics or it didn't happen ;)   (if you can take and post them, please.)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 02:08:43 PM »
https://www.benchmade.com/adamas-family.html

I got the sand color because all my other knives are black and I liked the difference. At 7.6 ounces she's a little sensitive about her weight but it's a tank. To further illustraate how unnecessary it is it comes with a molle sheath. But oh man is the fit and finish perfect with no play in the blade. You pay for a Benchmade but they do quality work.

I might have to buy another smaller knife for real carry. This is a bit silly. But I love it.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
https://www.benchmade.com/adamas-family.html

I got the sand color because all my other knives are black and I liked the difference. At 7.6 ounces she's a little sensitive about her weight but it's a tank. To further illustraate how unnecessary it is it comes with a molle sheath. But oh man is the fit and finish perfect with no play in the blade. You pay for a Benchmade but they do quality work.

I might have to buy another smaller knife for real carry. This is a bit silly. But I love it.

Choking here........ $230.00  ???

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »
  Today,I carry a COLD STEEL POCKET BUSHMAN as it is all stainless steel and is a big honkin' knife that is a slim package in the pocket. I don't recommend it as a work knife though as the one piece handle is all stainless and too thin to grip well though it makes for an intimidating knife and locks the blade in a 'tough as a tank' fashion that I like as I tend to use pocket pry bars a bit too heavy and have broken the lock on a few...this knife will drive through a car door multiple times to get someone's attention with it's 4116 cryogenic treated stainless steel it is hard to sharpen though retains an edge like few other knives I have ever seen .  I bought several at $19 each...cost more now.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pocket-Bushman-Folding/dp/B01AALX1O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523306876&sr=8-1&keywords=cold+steel+pocket+bushman

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »

Choking here........ $230.00  ???

Yeah, there's that. But I haven't bought a knife in a decade or so (at least not a tactical model) so I went for it. This was definitely a bucket list item I jumped on when my SOG broke a spring. But judging on the quality I'd imagine I'll be a Benchmade guy for life now.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
Yeah, there's that. But I haven't bought a knife in a decade or so (at least not a tactical model) so I went for it. This was definitely a bucket list item I jumped on when my SOG broke a spring. But judging on the quality I'd imagine I'll be a Benchmade guy for life now.

I don't think spending $230 for a luxury item you appreciate and enjoy is unreasonable.  But I would worry about losing it during my day to day.  I once lost (and found weeks later) a $30 knife I was quite fond of.  I was fairly sad for a while.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
I've lost knives over the years. Not many that I can recall the names though. This old timer  I carry now I've misplaced a couple of times, for a week or so at a time. Man, talk about lost in the woods..... ??? :o :'(

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
I don't think spending $230 for a luxury item you appreciate and enjoy is unreasonable.  But I would worry about losing it during my day to day.  I once lost (and found weeks later) a $30 knife I was quite fond of.  I was fairly sad for a while.

My wife did joke that I only need to buy a couple more to make up for her favorite purse.  ::) I don't make excuses anymore. I live like a pauper 99% of the time so when a 1% day shows up I can laugh and enjoy it. I don't have a fancy watch and I never eat out. My furniture is old and slowly being replaced by what I make. All my discretionary money goes to powertools, guns, and now a dream knife.

Losing toys sucks. This knife will either be on me or in my nightstand safe. I've learned my lesson from having 2 dozen utility knives floating everywhere.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
  Some times you just gotta' get yourself a treat..... I have my fathers Randall # 1 that he carried in Viet Nam '63 to '67 and it is an heirloom that few would respect as I do.

Worth watching:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5MOUO464Q

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
Treat yo self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsABTmT1_M0

Just imagine if I admitted I'm buying a gun later this month as well...

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
The best got better. Milwaukee has a compact Fastback utility knife that you don't know you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-22-1906-Fastback-Compact-One-Handed/dp/B01HQQ0YZ6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I love the Fastback line and while the clip is horrible everything else is ideal. It's tiny but opens well with great ergonomics. I love big tactical knives for their use cooking outside and for doing heavy work but for getting into a box or opening up clamshell packaging utility knives rule.

I've posted before about this type of knife. I have tried several brands of folding utilities like Gerber and Lennox but the Milwaukee wins hands down and the compact is actually better than the full size. As a former construction worker and current woodworker the idea of not having a Stanley 99E on me almost makes me sick but the Stanley gets put down in the shop and the Fastback is in my pocket. It just works better. That's a big thing to say considering I own something like 14 99E knives. Heck, I'm even worse on the Fastback than the 99E because blade changes are so easy. It's finally the pocket knife you can treat like you hate and still love. If worse comes to worse it's a $15 replacement.

Try this blade and I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's always in my pocket these days.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
A leatherman something and a gerber eab light... and a swiss army classic.. i think that is all, for now.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
To day was cheap and practical...nothing more than a Harbor Freight simple box cutter.   I was using it to setup a cheap just in case tool kit that had a bunch of plastic all over it.  Now that the day is over; tossed that box cutter into the tool kit.

There are a few nice cheap(er) Kensaw blades that I keep handy or keep in my pocket.  The job at hand was better suited to the box cutter.  The Kershaw Thistle that I like just has a bit too long of a blade of 3.5 inches.  I rather keep standard pocket knifes at 3.25" or smaller to allow some wiggle room if it has to be measured against the 3.5" limit for concealed carry.