Author Topic: What knife are you carrying now?  (Read 15223 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: What knife are you carrying now?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »
OK, I'm doing a little bragging here but yesterday I got my Benchmade Adamas. Been wanting one for a while and finally bought one. I like it but it's just a little more knife than I need.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 12:14:05 PM »
OK, I'm doing a little bragging here but yesterday I got my Benchmade Adamas. Been wanting one for a while and finally bought one. I like it but it's just a little more knife than I need.

Pics or it didn't happen ;)   (if you can take and post them, please.)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 02:08:43 PM »
https://www.benchmade.com/adamas-family.html

I got the sand color because all my other knives are black and I liked the difference. At 7.6 ounces she's a little sensitive about her weight but it's a tank. To further illustraate how unnecessary it is it comes with a molle sheath. But oh man is the fit and finish perfect with no play in the blade. You pay for a Benchmade but they do quality work.

I might have to buy another smaller knife for real carry. This is a bit silly. But I love it.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
https://www.benchmade.com/adamas-family.html

I got the sand color because all my other knives are black and I liked the difference. At 7.6 ounces she's a little sensitive about her weight but it's a tank. To further illustraate how unnecessary it is it comes with a molle sheath. But oh man is the fit and finish perfect with no play in the blade. You pay for a Benchmade but they do quality work.

I might have to buy another smaller knife for real carry. This is a bit silly. But I love it.

Choking here........ $230.00  ???

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 02:59:28 PM »
  Today,I carry a COLD STEEL POCKET BUSHMAN as it is all stainless steel and is a big honkin' knife that is a slim package in the pocket. I don't recommend it as a work knife though as the one piece handle is all stainless and too thin to grip well though it makes for an intimidating knife and locks the blade in a 'tough as a tank' fashion that I like as I tend to use pocket pry bars a bit too heavy and have broken the lock on a few...this knife will drive through a car door multiple times to get someone's attention with it's 4116 cryogenic treated stainless steel it is hard to sharpen though retains an edge like few other knives I have ever seen .  I bought several at $19 each...cost more now.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pocket-Bushman-Folding/dp/B01AALX1O0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523306876&sr=8-1&keywords=cold+steel+pocket+bushman

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »

Choking here........ $230.00  ???

Yeah, there's that. But I haven't bought a knife in a decade or so (at least not a tactical model) so I went for it. This was definitely a bucket list item I jumped on when my SOG broke a spring. But judging on the quality I'd imagine I'll be a Benchmade guy for life now.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
Yeah, there's that. But I haven't bought a knife in a decade or so (at least not a tactical model) so I went for it. This was definitely a bucket list item I jumped on when my SOG broke a spring. But judging on the quality I'd imagine I'll be a Benchmade guy for life now.

I don't think spending $230 for a luxury item you appreciate and enjoy is unreasonable.  But I would worry about losing it during my day to day.  I once lost (and found weeks later) a $30 knife I was quite fond of.  I was fairly sad for a while.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
I've lost knives over the years. Not many that I can recall the names though. This old timer  I carry now I've misplaced a couple of times, for a week or so at a time. Man, talk about lost in the woods..... ??? :o :'(

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
I don't think spending $230 for a luxury item you appreciate and enjoy is unreasonable.  But I would worry about losing it during my day to day.  I once lost (and found weeks later) a $30 knife I was quite fond of.  I was fairly sad for a while.

My wife did joke that I only need to buy a couple more to make up for her favorite purse.  ::) I don't make excuses anymore. I live like a pauper 99% of the time so when a 1% day shows up I can laugh and enjoy it. I don't have a fancy watch and I never eat out. My furniture is old and slowly being replaced by what I make. All my discretionary money goes to powertools, guns, and now a dream knife.

Losing toys sucks. This knife will either be on me or in my nightstand safe. I've learned my lesson from having 2 dozen utility knives floating everywhere.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 05:34:42 PM »
  Some times you just gotta' get yourself a treat..... I have my fathers Randall # 1 that he carried in Viet Nam '63 to '67 and it is an heirloom that few would respect as I do.

Worth watching:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5MOUO464Q

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
Treat yo self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsABTmT1_M0

Just imagine if I admitted I'm buying a gun later this month as well...

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
The best got better. Milwaukee has a compact Fastback utility knife that you don't know you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-22-1906-Fastback-Compact-One-Handed/dp/B01HQQ0YZ6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I love the Fastback line and while the clip is horrible everything else is ideal. It's tiny but opens well with great ergonomics. I love big tactical knives for their use cooking outside and for doing heavy work but for getting into a box or opening up clamshell packaging utility knives rule.

I've posted before about this type of knife. I have tried several brands of folding utilities like Gerber and Lennox but the Milwaukee wins hands down and the compact is actually better than the full size. As a former construction worker and current woodworker the idea of not having a Stanley 99E on me almost makes me sick but the Stanley gets put down in the shop and the Fastback is in my pocket. It just works better. That's a big thing to say considering I own something like 14 99E knives. Heck, I'm even worse on the Fastback than the 99E because blade changes are so easy. It's finally the pocket knife you can treat like you hate and still love. If worse comes to worse it's a $15 replacement.

Try this blade and I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's always in my pocket these days.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
A leatherman something and a gerber eab light... and a swiss army classic.. i think that is all, for now.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
To day was cheap and practical...nothing more than a Harbor Freight simple box cutter.   I was using it to setup a cheap just in case tool kit that had a bunch of plastic all over it.  Now that the day is over; tossed that box cutter into the tool kit.

There are a few nice cheap(er) Kensaw blades that I keep handy or keep in my pocket.  The job at hand was better suited to the box cutter.  The Kershaw Thistle that I like just has a bit too long of a blade of 3.5 inches.  I rather keep standard pocket knifes at 3.25" or smaller to allow some wiggle room if it has to be measured against the 3.5" limit for concealed carry.

Offline SamShooter

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
I use a Cold Steel 39LSP Boar Hunter for my hog hunting trips in Oklahoma. It's an 8 inch knife which makes it perfect for any outdoor use (I heard it’s hard to find this knife in stores nowadays). I also carry Kabar Heavy Duty Warthog as a spare.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »
Same brand/model I have carried for over a decade now - Kershaw Ken Onion-designed 1550 "Blackout".
https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Blackout-Folding-Knife-SpeedSafe/dp/B01256JGTC
Discontinued but still available on teh interwebs.

Fast one-handed opening, which is absolutely necessary on a ranch when you're holding something that needs cutting NOW, and you only have 1 hand free. I've lost a few, had a couple confiscated by TSA when I didn't check my carryon luggage properly before I tried to board (although they did miss it one time . . . ), and had one break - which is when I discovered that Kershaw puts 3-4 X's on the blade if it's a reject. Now, if I buy from anyone online, I specifically ask if there are any X's on the blade, especially if they're using stock photos.
All round, great knife, takes and keeps a great edge, great tool.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »
Something new just got into EDC. The Stanley Quickslide utility knife.

https://www.stanleytools.com/products/hand-tools/knives-blades/multi-tool/5-in-quickslide-utility-knife/stht10828

I know, I know. David loves his Milwaukee Fastback. And I still do. If you knock on my door when I'm at home in my Bill Bellachek sweatpants I will have a Fastback clipped on. I love that knife. But it's... big. I found the Stanley Quickslide just disappears in a back pocket.

I'm coming to a 3 tier solution to utility knives. The Fastback is my around the house knife, a classic Stanley 99E will forever be in my toolbelt and the Quickslide might just be EDC. The classic Stanley can't be beat for heavy work; the Fastback is the quickest in use with a good clip; the Quickslide is the easiest to carry.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 10:03:12 AM »
My EDC knife is a Swiss Army Farmer knife.  Small enough to drop in my pocket, the blade takes a good edge, and a few handy items.  It was about $40 if I remember correctly. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2018, 10:59:07 AM »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2019, 08:17:54 PM »
In order of frequency:  Victorinox Compact, Doug Ritter Griptillian, Victorinox Outlander, Buck Vantage Pro Sm & Lg, Gerber EAB, Kershaw Blur.

The State building I'm at 2-3 days per week has a no weapons policy, so for the last two years I've been using the Compact Swiss Army (Outlander is too big for some pants) in the hope that it won't raise too many red flags if I have to empty my pockets for whatever reason.  I had been carrying the Vantages for about 5 years on a daily basis, but decided not to push my luck, especially after the increased security that came with the San Bernardino shooting.  The Griptillian has been carried on nightly dog walking duty for a dozen years now, I've got gate keys and remotes on its lanyard so nothing gets misplaced or forgotten when rounding up the dogs.

I've switched up my lineup a bit since trying out the Benchmade Bugout 535 recently.  Best to think of the Bugout as a slimmed-down Benchmade Griptillian with a full-size S30V blade that's aimed more at the gram-counting backpacker types than the post-apocalypse BOB crowd. 

Here's the weight comparisons I measured, starting from the top knife in the pictures:

Doug Ritter Griptilian - 108g
  SAK Outlander - 133g
  Buck Vantage Pro Lg - 125g
  Benchmade Bugout - 53g 
  SAK Compact - 66g
  Buck Vantage Pro Sm - 73g
  Gerber EAB - 66g

Kershaw Leek - 87g (not pictured above, couldn't find my Blur)

With the Bugout's super-light weight, AXIS locking mechanism, deep-carry clip and huge lanyard hole I can't really see a practical advantage to carrying either of the Bucks, my Kershaw Blur, or the Doug Ritter Griptilian going forward.  They all have my favorite S30V steel but the thinner blade on the Bugout actually makes for a better slicer than the others.  And after you factor in the hollow grind of the Buck Vantage, the actual amount of steel near the cutting edge isn't significantly better than the flat-ground Bugout.  The Bugout carries almost as deep as the Vantages, yet still allows for a huge opening for lanyard attachment, something the Vantages lack altogether.  Yes, the plastic grip on the Bugout flexes more than the more robust Griptilian and the blade is significantly thinner (same thickness of the Leek), but if I want to pry stuff with a knife I would be better served with a fixed blade, anyway.  The biggest thing I hold hold against the Bugout is its 3-digit price range.  Besides the specialty Ritter Griptilian, all the other S30V blades described above can be had for less than $100.

So, I think I'm going to move the Ritter and Vantage folders from EDC rotation and start using the Bugout instead.  It melts into nothingness in the pocket, yet still feels like a real knife in use.  However, despite the Butgout's lighter weight and super-steel, the SAKs will still probably get most of my EDC time (tough to beat in terms of usefulness, value, and gray-man practicalities) and the Gerber EAB will continue to handle the bulk of my cardboard boxes.

Offline evh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2019, 08:08:08 AM »
Today it is a Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife) Climber.  Love having the scissors.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Climber/p/1.3703

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2019, 08:14:12 PM »
Since my first reply a couple of years ago my knives have changed some. The SAK Camper is still a mainstay blade/multi tool in any pants I wear for dress up, casual or work. My large single blade folder I carry I. Addition to the SAK has moved somewhat away from the heavy BM Barrage 581 to a Spyderco Para Military 2 or 3 in S35VN steel and Compression lock, or a Benchmade Volli with assisted Axis lock. That is when I am not working. It is too easy to lose a clip on knife doing manual work so I opt for a Kershaw Link assisted flipper which is inexpensive and not a tragedy if lost. I like the Kershaw SpeedSafe but do not like the liner lock, but tolerate it since that is the best balance in assisted opening and low cost.

I am becoming a fan of S30V and even more so S35VN Steel. Amazing sharpness, durable edge, and much much easier to sharpen than the M390 in my Barrage. I also like plain old 1095 for big camp blades and appreciate the 420HC in Buck knives. But for frequently used folders or nice to have luxury fixed blades I try to find models in S35VN or at least S30V.

Right this minute I have in my pockets: SAK Camper, Leatherman Micra and Spyderco PM 2. Browsing online for best prices to get a SOG Pillar 5” Knife in S35VN (made in USA even!).

Offline evh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2019, 05:35:42 AM »
I have changed to the Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife) SwissChamp.  I have found I cannot live without having all the tools on it.  My guess is many of us "fix" many things everyday.  I have found this knife to be priceless and saves so much time hunting down different tools.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Swiss-Champ/p/1.6795

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2019, 04:28:32 PM »
I have changed to the Victorinox (Swiss Army Knife) SwissChamp.  I have found I cannot live without having all the tools on it.  My guess is many of us "fix" many things everyday.  I have found this knife to be priceless and saves so much time hunting down different tools.

https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Swiss-Champ/p/1.6795

I love my Swisschamp. That said it's too bulky for my EDC. It's kind of like the Leatherman Wave. Brilliant tool that's just on the other side of being too big to have on me all the time.

But there's this weird phenomenon of the bigger SAKs. They have been accepted publicly. If I left one of my Leatherman tools on the computer desk it looks like I forgot a garage tool inside. The Swisschamp looks elegant and seems like a piece of art. So I keep the Leatherman in the cars and the Swisschamp on my desk. Kids and adults love it. I know they make bigger boutique knives but the Swisschamp really is the do-all in the family. Big enough to offer a lot of options but compact enough to fit and a beautifully elegant design.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2019, 04:13:11 PM »
We have a Champ and a couple of other "tool closet" models but they rarely make it out of the house.  Pretty cool so much can be packed into that platform but generally not worth the weight/space for backpack or pocket.  Over the years I found what I use the most are the toothpick, main blade, cork screw (surprisingly often given my infrequent personal wine consumption), both screw drivers, and the saw when hiking.  The Camper and similar models like the Farmer and Pioneer IIRC hit the sweet spot for my uses.  Camper in my left pocket and the Para 2 clipped to my right pocket covers 99% of everyday needs.

I went through a similar reduction with Leathermans.  Originally bought the Super Tool, then the Wave, but a few years ago realized I never used half of the tools, and especially not the driver attachments.  I tried the Juice and some other small model but the tiny pliers are minimally useful, and THAT is one of the big uses for a multi-tool. So the Sidekick became the optimal combination of reduced weight but still a collection of most used full size tools.  I carry the Sidekick on my belt at work.

For my long day hike next week I'm going to try carrying my new Fallkniven S1 (5").  I resisted getting an expensive fixed blade but finally caved into getting a Fallkniven (go ahead and laugh because I've spent plenty on folders but could not imagine spending $150+ on a sheath knife.  Probably should be the other way around).  Man, what a beautiful knife.  The blade is thick yet handles very well, light years better than those 1/4" thick 1095 choppers.  It came with a very sharp edge and responds easily to a bench stone and hone, unlike some of the super steels in a folder I have (M390). The handle is on the short/thin side, but the blade is so great I'll over look that.  I wasn't planning on carry this large of knife for hiking but it actually rides better on my belt than some of my 4" knives.  The main reason for taking it hiking is that here in the PNW many of the trails are not maintained frequently and often the rapid growth of vegetation means sections of trails can be crowded with blackberry vines, or even obscured by other undergrowth.  The weight of the S1 blade is enough to make hacking small branches and vines very easy compared to a lighter knife like the Moraknivs or even Bucks.  The forward balance makes it feel like a better hacker than even the larger Ka-Bar which is really too big for day hikes.  So it feels light on the belt, handles very adroitly, yet have nice blade weight for hacking branches.  I've never used a knife for batonning wood but the S1 should easily be able to take that beating and be thick enough to help split the wood. The blade feels indestructible (unless you baton with a rock like a YouTube idiot). 

Plan to hike with my SAK Camper, Para 2, and Fallkniven S1.  Don't need the Para 2 for this hike, but since it is also new thought I would take it into the woods to try some lunch time whittling, etc.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Picked up a Mora a couple of weeks ago.  I immediately filed the back of it to be able to get a spark from a ferrocium rod.  I also dropped it into a glass of hot vinegar to build up a patina to combat rust.  Will be taking it with me camping next week to see how it does in day to day camping chores.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2019, 07:06:41 PM »
I resisted getting an expensive fixed blade but finally caved into getting a Fallkniven (go ahead and laugh because I've spent plenty on folders but could not imagine spending $150+ on a sheath knife.  Probably should be the other way around).  Man, what a beautiful knife. 

They. Are. Awesome.  No doubt about it.  The only downside is you can't stop after just one.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
They. Are. Awesome.  No doubt about it.  The only downside is you can't stop after just one.

Yes, I have a feeling the F1 (4") and A1 (6") will work their siren song on me. Logically I think the S1 with a Mora or medium/large folder, or even just a SAK, covers most needs.  I am going to try to hold off a few months at least and give the S1 a chance to see if it really is a do-everything-a-3"-knife-can't.  But I am way beyond limiting my guns and knives to just what is needed and well into the just-because-Merica or for fun!

The handle and sheath are "adequate", nothing exceptional even at this price point.  But that blade is a work of art and executed with precision.  If you drive along Hiway 6 in the coast raange next week and spy a new clear cut, you'll know I got carried away with my new knife.

Advertising copy...

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2019, 07:49:37 PM »
Picked up a Mora a couple of weeks ago.  I immediately filed the back of it to be able to get a spark from a ferrocium rod.  I also dropped it into a glass of hot vinegar to build up a patina to combat rust.  Will be taking it with me camping next week to see how it does in day to day camping chores.

I love Moras.  Which one are you taking along?  I have used the Companion, Companion HD, and Garberg.  After going bigger and heavier with them I decided to try the thinner 3.5" Craftline Pro S and really like it.  Extremely handy, and like all Moras, very well constructed and easy to keep sharp at such a great price point.  The sheath is nicer than my old Companions, too.

I look forward to your camping report.
For some reason I have only used Moras around the yard and house and in the truck tool box, but rarely took one for hiking or camping duty except for food prep.  They carve well, puncture and slice well, and sharpen super easy.  For $10-$20 you get a LOT of knife capability.

Just for fun a pic of the little Craftline...