Author Topic: 1851 navy edc?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Salplazz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
1851 navy edc?
« on: December 19, 2017, 04:24:38 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a model 1851 navy yank for edc purposes as well as shooting, i have experience with them so thats not much of an issue. I recently turned 18 so i can't legally carry my pistol, and cap and ball guns arent considered firearms in my state, and everythings legal far as i can tell, im just mostly looking for opinions at this juction and if its a good idea.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: 1851 navy edc?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 05:09:12 AM »
I think an issue may be borrowing trouble. Even if you are correct that it is legal (be careful, some states have general weapons laws separate from firearms laws), that is such an odd example that if you get made the police are likely to arrest you and let it get sorted out downtown.

Respectfully, the skill sets of personal defense are broad. Defensive Tactics (hand to hand), awareness and surveillance detection, positioning, reporting and communication, physical conditioning, etc. Cultivating those sets that are not "carrying a gun" will likely keep you safer than carrying a sub-optimal gun without any of the risk of carrying a not-firearm.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 05:14:54 AM »
Additional, an 1851 obviously does not have a transfer bar safety like modern revolvers. I should think the chamber under the hammer would need to be empty.

Also, concealment holster may be rarified or have to be custom.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:08:15 AM by Chemsoldier »

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »
In this situation, a good pepper spray is a more reliable assault stopper than an 1851, and much less likely to land you in jail.  Even then, check your state's laws.

... and everythings legal far as i can tell, ...
Don't try to out-guess the cops, DA, and judge on this one.  They've been doing this for years, and can lock up your 18 yo self just as fast as you can take away a 7 yo's lunch money.  If you're serious about carrying at the legal margins like this, spend a few hundred bucks consulting a lawyer ahead of time.

Pepper spray.

Offline Salplazz

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:18:37 AM »
I should have been more specific, i live in a rural area in az so its mostly gonna be for wild critters that wander into town (been having issues with javelina) and its easier for me to obtain a cap and ball pistol, self defence is just an added bonus (lotta crackheads), everything is legal in az as its basically considered the same as a pocket knife or a cap gun, for concealment i have a friend who does leather work and have talked about a custom shoulder holster. Right now im just debating the 1851colt vs the 1858 new army.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:26:08 AM »
  I think it is easier to avoid a problem rather than confront it and cause another problem.

It took only seconds to see your state laws on firearms and
NO,You are in no way legal to carry,even unloaded, till age 21

Laws on Purchase, Possession and Carrying of Firearms

Antiques/Replicas
Arizona statutes are silent on antique and replica firearms except that firearms in a permanently inoperable condition are not included within the definition of firearms and are therefore exempt from the weapon laws of Arizona. All other categories of antique or replica firearms are treated as ordinary firearms for possession and carrying purposes.

Carrying
Arizona respects the right of law abiding citizens to openly carry a handgun.

Any person 21 years of age or older, who is not prohibited possessor, may carry a weapon openly or concealed without the need for a license. Any person carrying without a license must acknowledge and comply with the demands of a law enforcement officer when asked if he/she is carrying a concealed deadly weapon, if the officer has initiated an "investigation" such as a traffic stop.

MORE
Footnote
1A firearm is defined as any loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or other weapon which will or is designed to or may readily convert to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, except that it does not include a firearm in permanently inoperable condition.

The approval of others does not count as legal advise.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/arizona/