Author Topic: HiPoint 10mm Carbine  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
HiPoint 10mm Carbine
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:15:21 PM »
Yeah yeah, I know, friends don't let friends shoot Hi-Points.

http://www.firearmsnews.com/guns/rifles/semi-auto-rifle/an-economical-10mm-carbine/

Its just amazing to find an economical one. Its not how well the dancing bear waltzes, its that he dances at all.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: HiPoint 10mm Carbine
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »
I like mine in 45ACP and have taken a Whitetail deer with it at 35yrds with a 1 shot stop.  I have missed or lost one as well.

Since 10mm was determined to be the ideal marriage between 9mm and 45 it would be a real good PCC.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »
Interesting article, I almost want one. :)  I was surprised that the longer barrel does not seem to give any more velocity than you would expect from a 5" pistol.  180gr at 1,330 fps?  I would have expected more like 1,500-1,600fps.  I wish he had tested a 200 gr load.  I just wonder at the quality of materials and durability.

In the end though, I think I'll wait to see if Ruger comes out with a 10mm version of its carbine.  I really don't want to add yet another cartridge to my collection, but I think I would really enjoy a 10mm in a Glock 20 or 29.  Since I reload and already have tons of .40 caliber bullets it would be affordable to go plinking.  I'm almost at the point of selling off my 9mm and .45ACP pistols and just focus on .40.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:55:56 AM »
Interesting article, I almost want one. :)  I was surprised that the longer barrel does not seem to give any more velocity than you would expect from a 5" pistol.  180gr at 1,330 fps?  I would have expected more like 1,500-1,600fps.  I wish he had tested a 200 gr load.  I just wonder at the quality of materials and durability.

In the end though, I think I'll wait to see if Ruger comes out with a 10mm version of its carbine.  I really don't want to add yet another cartridge to my collection, but I think I would really enjoy a 10mm in a Glock 20 or 29.  Since I reload and already have tons of .40 caliber bullets it would be affordable to go plinking.  I'm almost at the point of selling off my 9mm and .45ACP pistols and just focus on .40.
I would guess the powder they are using is pretty fast. If you are handloading use a slower powder perhaps?  Speer makes loads optimized for shot barreled handguns. Maybe they will make some for PCCs.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:34:16 AM »
I would guess the powder they are using is pretty fast. If you are handloading use a slower powder perhaps?  Speer makes loads optimized for shot barreled handguns. Maybe they will make some for PCCs.

Good idea, that would be fun to experiment with.  I should try that with my .44 loads to see if a slightly slower powder gives more than expected velocity in the 1894 carbine over the S&W 29.  Maybe compare velocity increases of carbine over revolver for Unique, 2400, and 4227 or something.  See if the slower powders have a larger percentage increase.