Author Topic: CB vs HAM [OK please play nice]  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: CB vs HAM [OK please play nice]
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
I have read about these mods you can do but I think I will just keep a Baofeng around as most of them allow it already.
I really dont want to mess with an expensive radio in this way. Not telling others to not do it, I just choose not to.
 :D

MARS mod to a dual band VHF/UHF is obviously different than a MARS mod on an HF transceiver.

You are correct that a baofeng functionally is similar to a modded dual bander (not necessarily legal).

Many retailers will modify a newly purchased transceiver for around $50.  Though most will ask for some credentials or evidence of your participation in appropriate groups.  e.g. Civil Air Patrol

Offline kid_couteau

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
MARS mod to a dual band VHF/UHF is obviously different than a MARS mod on an HF transceiver.

You are correct that a baofeng functionally is similar to a modded dual bander (not necessarily legal).

Many retailers will modify a newly purchased transceiver for around $50.  Though most will ask for some credentials or evidence of your participation in appropriate groups.  e.g. Civil Air Patrol

Im on the local ARES team but I dont think that counts for MARS. Oh yeah, I was just talking about VHF and UHF for mods and using a Baofeng.
See ya

Offline Skyliner

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
The MARS mod for most HF radios is very simple.  Typically removing a diode.

In the pre-Internet days, information on how to open up transmit outside of the ham bands was a closely guarded secret, but now it is out there for anyone, including step by step instructions with pictures.

There are some purists who believe it is some kind of sin if you are not using the radio for MARS, CAP, etc. 
In my opinion, the radio was built for that capability, and I would rather have it than not.

Not advocating to run a 100 watt rig on CB, but you would be glad to have that capability in a pinch.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »
The MARS mod for most HF radios is very simple.  Typically removing a diode.

In the pre-Internet days, information on how to open up transmit outside of the ham bands was a closely guarded secret, but now it is out there for anyone, including step by step instructions with pictures.

There are some purists who believe it is some kind of sin if you are not using the radio for MARS, CAP, etc. 
In my opinion, the radio was built for that capability, and I would rather have it than not.

Not advocating to run a 100 watt rig on CB, but you would be glad to have that capability in a pinch.

I don't think there's any downside to a MARS mod beyond the cost or small risk to DIY.
That said, emergency agencies have their respective interoperability plans. It's not just us amateurs, but how will state police talk to the city fire department?
If you work as an emergency communications volunteer long enough, you will likely use 800mhz public safety and other .gov bands/frequencies that are completely different from amateur.
Especially when you get into digital talk groups (trunking). None of our ham gear will be any help.

A big part of emergency communications is... well, being able to communicate effectively.  That could mean talking on a land line telephone and taking notes with a pencil.