Author Topic: New canning flats deals/buys?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
New canning flats deals/buys?
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
I haven't run across any deals (awesome ones) the end of last year.
Has anyone else?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: New canning flats deals/buys?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:36:49 AM »
I haven't seen anything either. Just checked the Fresh Preserving site yesterday, nothing there. Have you looked at Menards?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:20:35 AM »
I haven't. The best deals I have found were typically in the late fall, after the big canning effort was mostly past.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »
Have you looked at Menards?

No I haven't. We're headed that direction in a couple weeks though.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »
My experience has also been late fall for the best buys.  It never hurts to keep an eye open, and if you are in the south now might be the best time, but in MI I think the shelves have already been cleared.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:04:53 AM »
https://www.menards.com/main/grocery-housewares-pet/canning-supplies/ball-reg-regular-mouth-lids-12-pack/p-1444436309792-c-1462209588021.htm?tid=8038587558231728846&ipos=1

Online price but I think you can pick them up in the store. Showing 36 in stock at Lake Ozark if that's close to you.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
https://www.menards.com/main/grocery-housewares-pet/canning-supplies/ball-reg-regular-mouth-lids-12-pack/p-1444436309792-c-1462209588021.htm?tid=8038587558231728846&ipos=1

Online price but I think you can pick them up in the store. Showing 36 in stock at Lake Ozark if that's close to you.

$1.76 box . Thats not bad, .15 a lid.
Wrong direction from us, but if Sedalia has them on the shelf they will be the same price.
We're headed that way mid month.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
OK. Link says the price in the store may vary so who knows. Closest store to me is Hollister, MO. I'm south of Houston  :pissed:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
If they are still a buck 76 when I get there I'll pick ya up a case.

They also run several week long 11% store wide sales. If I happen to hit there at the right time.....
Then they have the sack deals sometimes. Everything you can cram in a standard size grocery sack is a % off.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
If they are still a buck 76 when I get there I'll pick ya up a case.

They also run several week long 11% store wide sales. If I happen to hit there at the right time.....
Then they have the sack deals sometimes. Everything you can cram in a standard size grocery sack is a % off.

Thanks but I still have all of the 15 boxes I bought last summer plus several boxes I got at Walmart just down the road. Pay more there but don't have to pay shipping like I did from Menards. Shipping made the price much less attractive for me.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
Copy the shipping costs.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
Has anyone tried the tattler lids? First time I bought them was from Leman's. They are a bit costly but will save dollars in the long run. I still use the metal ones but I love the tattler lids for SHTF reasons. You will never have to worry about trying to barter for any when things go south. I am looking to find somewhere cheaper to get them. They really work great and can be used over and over again. The rubber gasket you just use till it gets brittle before having to get a new one. Those are cheap. So if you decide to go that route, best to buy some extra gaskets. They working just like the medal ones and you still need to use the rings. Trick is to tighten the rings tighter than you would with the medal rings.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 05:40:33 PM »
Has anyone tried the tattler lids? First time I bought them was from Leman's. They are a bit costly but will save dollars in the long run. I still use the metal ones but I love the tattler lids for SHTF reasons. You will never have to worry about trying to barter for any when things go south. I am looking to find somewhere cheaper to get them. They really work great and can be used over and over again. The rubber gasket you just use till it gets brittle before having to get a new one. Those are cheap. So if you decide to go that route, best to buy some extra gaskets. They working just like the medal ones and you still need to use the rings. Trick is to tighten the rings tighter than you would with the medal rings.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=47204.msg731950#msg731950

thread on tattler lids

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 05:43:22 PM »

We've considered them, but at 4 times? the cost.......

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »
I found an amazing deal on a closeout on jars and lids about 5 years ago... so I have more jars than I have ever actually filled and probably a good 10 years' supply on lids (assuming they don't fail over time). That has kept me from taking the plunge and buying the tattler lids.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »
I've been catching the sales (none last fall) and probably have 4-5 years on lids.
I also bought lots of jars last summer on sale. Both Ball and Walmart had some good sales on pints and half pints.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 09:45:23 AM »
Yesterday, in a closed Facebook group I belong to, I saw a post where a member went to a Sam's Club that was closing and bought all the canning jars & lids they had.  50% off.  63 Sam's Club locations are closing around the country.  If you live near one of them, you might want to check it out.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:20 AM »
Oh man................. :facepalm: I better call my son up in the city and ck there.
Thanks for the info. I'd heard about the closings.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:09 PM »
Checking the Houston, TX area but I doubt any closing.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
Just checked. Local TV station says 3 closing, none close to me.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »
Just checked. Local TV station says 3 closing, none close to me.

Arghhhhh......same here.  :facepalm:

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
That's pretty close to the deal I got several years ago... I think I may have paid even a little less... a closeout sale (end of season) at a commissary that waaaaay over-ordered.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »
That's pretty close to the deal I got several years ago... I think I may have paid even a little less... a closeout sale (end of season) at a commissary that waaaaay over-ordered.

8) I bought a whole wad of pints at Ball's site for $5.00 a case this year, with no shipping costs. And Wally's had 1/2 pints for $4 and change.
I though I over bought but looking at my stash, I could use another 20 cases and feel better.

Am always looking for super lid deals, but just hasn't been much this year.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
Lid deals have been harder to find this year.   Finding them marked down in the fall or a good coupon to combine with a sale have completely dried up.  I miss the days when Lowes used to carry canning supplies.  I once scored 86 boxes of regular lids for $.17 each when they put them on clearance.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »
Lid deals have been harder to find this year.   Finding them marked down in the fall or a good coupon to combine with a sale have completely dried up.  I miss the days when Lowes used to carry canning supplies.  I once scored 86 boxes of regular lids for $.17 each when they put them on clearance.

Yes  there was some awesome buys. I bought 3 cases of Empire brand on closeout at Menard's for around .30 a box. Empire is a new company who has seemed to evaporate this year.

Heres another Menards Ball lid deal that Red made me aware of.

https://www.menards.com/main/grocery-housewares-pet/canning-supplies/ball-reg-regular-mouth-lids-12-pack/p-1444436309792-c-1462209588021.htm?tid=106846338233323926&ipos=1

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »
We haven't been able to find good deals on lids in over a year around here. I will be having to go out shopping in different places to find some deals. Although on the canning jars I have scored at yard sales all summer last year. Hoping to find more as some of the yard sales were almost giving the jars away. Their loss and my pot of gold.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 10:36:14 PM »
I had a flea market type place that I would hit monthly, and usually come out with 10-15-20 jars about every time. I'd grab every wide mouth there, for .50 each.
Sadly, they sold out stuff and closed up. I stopped in on their last day open, and bought every jar, including the regular mouth I'd been avoiding.
Ended up with about 40 jars at .25 each.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 02:07:43 AM »
 :excited:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:36 AM »

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
Electrolytes. No nighttime leg cramps in three days.