Author Topic: New canning flats deals/buys?  (Read 25777 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: New canning flats deals/buys?
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2020, 06:42:57 PM »
Fully understand. But......you have to take care of yourself.
You can't help out others if you are not in shape to deal with these things.
Agreed, but there's a big difference between taking care of yourself and taking care of yourself at the expence of others.

And I'll be buying a lot of lids in the "off season" for now on.  I've always kept about a season's worth of lids on hand, but with the bumper crop this year, I need more than normal.  So I'm going to make sure I have at least 3 seasons worth on hand for now on.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2020, 06:38:05 AM »
Took a look at Amazon this morning. $31.96/ box  Ball RM lids.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2020, 07:33:24 AM »
Thats crazy.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
We needed some additional pint jars for salsa, pizza sauce and some other stuff.  Everyplace around here is sold out of everything but 4 ounce and half gallon jars.  The wife suggested the Amish store about 45 minutes up the road.  She called and they told her they had 5 regular pint flats and 4 wide mouth flats.  We had them hold the 5 regular mouth flats and we headed up this evening. 

When we got there it was apparent that the guy she spoke with didn't actually check for the jars.  Here's a shot of the canning aisle.

Needless to say, we got our jars.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2020, 05:16:04 PM »
 8)

Reports I've heard from friends here, within 30 miles, if you need flats, you'll have to buy new jars to get the flats.

If.........they have any jars.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »
Just checked Fillmore Container. RM lids OOS, WM $5.99/dz. Plus shipping of course, I didn't check that.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »
Just checked Fillmore Container. RM lids OOS, WM $5.99/dz. Plus shipping of course, I didn't check that.
At Goods, regular mouth lids are $2.99, Wide mouth are $4.59. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2020, 07:53:28 AM »

I was curious to and checked Fillmore also after getting a email about pickling. Didn't snoop long.
Saw where they were out of rings.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2020, 07:26:31 PM »
update on prices in Northern Utah.

well, actually, while visiting family in Northern Idaho, the local Ace had reg. pints JARS for $7.99/dz.  I almost bought some up there at that price, but realized that I could go home and buy jars elsewhere; those in that town, that store is pretty much it, and I didn't want to take their supply.

Here in Logan Utah, however:

Wide quart: $13.69/dz
Reg quart: $11.99/dz
Reg pint: $10.39/dz
(I did not get a picture of the wide pints)

Reg seals: $2.99/dz
Wide seals: $3.79/dz

and there were MANY MANY in stock

--------

also as an aside - what is with the new signs on the new boxes of jars and seals: https://www.startpage.com/av/proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthycanning.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FBall-Kerr-SureTight-lids-FB.jpg&sp=1596936511Te28dabe227fdb89e4384c3c306159ee6e419fcf067c1d42f11d443e20de3c6b3

"NEW AND IMPROVED helps keep canned foods sealed for up to 18 MONTHS" - um, is that an improvement cuz I have had food sealed in them for a lot longer than that; someone gave me 8 dz quart jars in 2009 - I just had to take them full of peaches canned by her grandma in 1992.  She was tired of cleaning out the jars, and was just getting rid of them.
my point - did they do something to the seals so they will pop after 18 months?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:32:11 PM by Morning Sunshine »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »
In South Central PA, the regular mouth pint jars are $10.99 per dozen.
Regular lids are $2.99
Wide mouth lids are $4.59
Half gallon jars are $16 per 6

Just curious if you guys make use of half gallon jars.  If so, what do you can in them?  I'm thinking that I may get some to try some fermenting in them.  Just looking at the jars in the store, the half gallon jars don't use wide mouth lids, correct?  They seem to be bigger than wide mouth.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2020, 07:28:07 AM »

I've seen the 18 month deal on the new boxes for a couple? of years now. Maybe thats there way of getting out of liability? Who knows.......especially these days.

$7.99 is a normal price for pints around here, or used to be.

1/2 gallon. We use several, mainly for dry storage.
Several are full of lentils. And we've water bathed juice in them. Elderberry and blackberry juice mainly. When we don't want to do jelly or jam right away but preserve the juice and get the jars out of the frig or get the fruit out of the freezer.

Our ball 1/2 gallon do take the WM lids.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
I have about 18 half-gallon jars.  I use them for 3 things:

1) we have a local honey place that will fill your containers with local honey.  I try to keep 6 2-qt jars full at all times.  It is a size manageable to still use if it crystalizes (but I have been buying a variety that crystalizes slower than clover) but it is still a large amount.

2) raw milk.  There is a dairy here were we can take our own containers and fill those.  Half-gallon works perfect for my family.

3) fermenting.  These are my favorite fermenters: https://www.amazon.com/FARMcurious-Mason-Mold-Free-Fermenting/dp/B00MW97ERY I have others but these are the most versatile while still being effective.

Just curious if you guys make use of half gallon jars.  If so, what do you can in them?  I'm thinking that I may get some to try some fermenting in them.  Just looking at the jars in the store, the half gallon jars don't use wide mouth lids, correct?  They seem to be bigger than wide mouth.

they are wide mouth.  I have some older ones that are regular; those are the ones I use for honey.  But the new ones are all wide-mouth

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »
1) we have a local honey place that will fill your containers with local honey.  I try to keep 6 2-qt jars full at all times.  It is a size manageable to still use if it crystalizes (but I have been buying a variety that crystalizes slower than clover) but it is still a large amount.

You know you can just put the jar in hot water and it will uncrystallize.

For the lids, I've never picked the 1/2 gallon up, just looked on the shelf.  It must be the proportions that make it look like the lid is bigger than wide mouths.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »
You know you can just put the jar in hot water and it will uncrystallize.

exactly (although once I have done that, it seems to crystalize faster the next time).  which is why I like the glass jars.  and the bigger makes it easier to cook with when we make a big batch of something and we need 3 c of honey

also, I hate the flavor of clover honey.  it is too sweet.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »
We use alot of 1/2 gallon jars

Milk
herbs store bought and dried at home
home dried greens
home dried vegetables
home dried fruit

also for making medicinal tinctures
and for making vanilla, realy anything that has to sit around and infuse

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #135 on: August 10, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
home dried greens
Dried Greens?  you mean like spinach, kale and collards?  Do you just add them to soups and smoothies?  How do you use dried greens?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:58:56 PM by fritz_monroe »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2020, 06:47:06 PM »
We put dehydrated greens and peppers in mason's also.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #137 on: August 10, 2020, 08:42:09 PM »
Dried Greens?  you mean like spinach, kale and collards?  Do you just add them to soups and smoothies?  How do you use dried greens?

Like kale leaves and magenta spreen lambsquarters leaves. 

I use them in all the usual ways after rehydrating.  So, in soups or stir frys or as a side dish.  If you are not using in soup, you soak in water to rehydrate. 

Most of the time, I have fresh greens actually just growing in the garden, but there are times when the kale has bolted and the magenta spreen is not growing yet, so for those shoulder seasons, it is good to have some in jars ready to use.  High vitamin greens are my major go to vegetable.  Also, just for preparedness,  a small amount of the greens will provide alot of vitamins.  I dry low heat, so they are basically a raw food just full of all the nutrients of fresh greens.

I know people may not use dehydrated vegetables in a stir fry, but you should try it.  Often if I do this, it is a mix, so maybe carrots ( not dehydrated) and re-hydrated kale, re-hydrated cabbage, if lucky a few pieces of re-hydrated peppers.  An egg or two for protein, with a simple stor fry sauce over rice.  Or, instead of egg for protein, a peanut sauce, which is realy easy, base is peanut butter and hot water in equal amounts, some vinegar, soysauce, cayenne

I dont make smoothies, but you could absolutely rehydrate greens and then drain and add to smoothies

Offline ga-qhd

• Survivor
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
8)

Reports I've heard from friends here, within 30 miles, if you need flats, you'll have to buy new jars to get the flats.

If.........they have any jars.

FWIW, no endorsement here, but lids usually can be used twice if they are in good condition.  I've experimented with it and usually get a seal, although I simmer my lids, which may help.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2020, 04:22:14 PM »
FWIW, no endorsement here, but lids usually can be used twice if they are in good condition.  I've experimented with it and usually get a seal, although I simmer my lids, which may help.
Yeah, I've used them 2 times in the past.  Not often, but I want to say back in 2009 or so, last time there was a shortage on the lids.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
Normally we don't use used for pressure canning, but have had a oopsie or 2.
I save all used lids, mainly to put on the empty washed jars when they go back to storage, and, for vacuum packing jars.

I use lacquer thinner to clean off the magic marker identifying  marks, and have noticed after canning, I've used a used lid.  ::)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »

Yes, I've had limited success after simmering/boiling used lids. The plastisol seal re expands. I used them several for water bath canning and vacuum sealing. I haven't tried pressure canning with them.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2020, 11:56:53 AM »
I just went through my stash of rings and lids that I had packed up before we moved 2 years ago... quite a few of the rings were rusty enough that they were tossed... mostly they were fine, though. I found an extra 5 boxes of unused lids, too.

I have often re-used lids that were from water bath canned things, like jams, especially. Also, I use undamaged lids for vacuum sealing as well. I also don't try it for pressure canning, though. I use new lids for that every time.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2020, 09:52:19 PM »

After having a box of rm tattlers sitting here for a couple of years, I decided to use them.
I put 6 on pints of green beans today. The other 6 will go on pints of sweet corn when we get to the corn.
I'm impressed with them. They sealed right up. I tightened the ring just like I tighten metal flats.
Start the ring and turn with one hand until the jar spins, then give it a sight tic

I'll monitor the seal as time goes on. If my quantity is correct, these will be opened in 3 years

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2020, 12:41:32 PM »
My tattler lids didn't get to me until after I had already bought a bunch of lids.  So I'll try them out sooner or later.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »
After having a box of rm tattlers sitting here for a couple of years, I decided to use them.
I put 6 on pints of green beans today. The other 6 will go on pints of sweet corn when we get to the corn.
I'm impressed with them. They sealed right up. I tightened the ring just like I tighten metal flats.
Start the ring and turn with one hand until the jar spins, then give it a sight tic

I'll monitor the seal as time goes on. If my quantity is correct, these will be opened in 3 years

my seals that fail fail either in the first day, or within the first month.  Non-greasy and non-sugary items seem to do better.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2020, 03:11:57 PM »
my seals that fail fail either in the first day, or within the first month.  Non-greasy and non-sugary items seem to do better.

So corn and beans stand a good chance?

Amazon's tattler price today.  ::)
https://www.amazon.com/Tattler-Canning-Regular-Mouth-Boxed/dp/B00T93OCQ2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Tattler&qid=1598389654&sr=8-1

Online Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2020, 03:24:48 PM »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
::) :o guess I could sell my extras?

Might be a better return on your money than gold.  ;D

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »
I'll never understand that.  You can go directly to the Tattler folks and get that dozen count box for $8.99.  I think you'd have to pay shipping, but that would still end up being half the price of on Amazon.

I bought mine in bulk packaging.