Author Topic: "Read only" forums  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Gamer

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
"Read only" forums
« on: January 03, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
I notice that the Political and Tinfoil hat forums are now "read only" and we can't reply to any posts in there.
What's the reason for that? Is Survival Podcast a discussion forum or isn't it?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: "Read only" forums
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
I notice that the Political and Tinfoil hat forums are now "read only" and we can't reply to any posts in there.
What's the reason for that? Is Survival Podcast a discussion forum or isn't it?

See this:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=61904.msg737266#msg737266

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:15:44 AM »
I think about 3 to 4 days ago some heavily sarcastic and condescending posts started showing up in the political discussion area. An odd contentious thread appeared in the tin foil area also but in general that area has not been heavily contentious I would say

What if you where allowed a quota in political discussions say only so many posts per day or every few days, would that help? To do that automatically would require a software change to the PHP engine but would be a learning opportunity for some person
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:24:40 AM by surfivor »

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »
I'll tell you, the continuing we-hate-Trump/we-love-Trump *ahem* discussion was driving a lot of people away.  There are other places for this kind of stuff, and it was in the way around here.  I'm glad for the change.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
  I am glad to see a return to normal.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 07:03:07 AM »
Political discussions that are allowed only if the executive branch is never mentioned? A separate trump section ?

What if some significant political development occurs? We won't be able to talk about it

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 07:28:15 AM »
I had noticed myself that it was getting worse, especially after the election results came out. Even members who for years never stuck out in such threads seemed to go hard core to either the " trump is the devil incarnate" camp, or the "trump is the second coming of Jesus" camp.

I have a routine when I come to this site, I hit the replies button to check the threads I've already posted in, then hit the unread button. I've been finding myself becoming less likely to even peruse the new threads, and logging in less. It used to be a few times a day, but lately it's been a few times a week. And the political part of it is a factor. Not the only part, but a party none the less.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
  I am glad to see a return to normal.

Carl won't have to work so hard anymore drudging up all those new stories to set the record straight. Life should  be easy from here on out.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
 :candle: :beer:

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »
I think you guys are seeing the symptom and calling it the problem.

We live in a world where everything is a political event. from CAFE standards to medical pot, from steel tariffs to corn subsidies, from free speech zones to rendition.

Boarding a plane is a political event. Young people will be amazed we used to greet travelers at the terminal. Carrying a gun is a political event. There was a time (less than a century ago) with virtually no gun laws. Carry what you want from a single shot .22 to a BAR.

We used to be able to make liquor. For Pete's sake Jimmy Carter legalized homebrewing because it was still verboten from Prohibition. Your great grandparents not only could smoke pot, they could hit up the local pharmacist for opium (sans prescription). And they afforded it without insurance or a union.

Politics is contentious because it controls every second of your life. From speed limits to zoning laws to a 1099 DIV it is the thumb on every scale. It's so bad New York wants to tell you what size soda you can drink.

It's not a fight because we're bad people. The ring of power is out of control.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 06:38:29 AM »
  KARMA David, too much power in the wrong hands.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:39 AM »
Well... after thinking it over for a week or so, this will be my last post here.

I'm not leaving angry and I don't have any issue with the admins/moderators running their forums the way they see fit. At the end of the day, it's their boards, their clubhouse... and they are free to run it however they like.

I'm only writing this because, rather than just disappear... I feel I should take 10 minutes to express my gratitude to said admins/mods for allowing me to write these 1200 posts over the last 5 years (some posts being more poignant/tactful/meaningful than others  8)). I do appreciate the fact that I've been allowed that privilege.

That said, I personally don't agree with and can't get on board with censorship when it comes to thoughts/ideas/words that are entirely on topic and don't break any kind of law. The fact that verbiage within established boards/topics can be deemed "too contentious" and essentially banned from a site that encourages survival "when times are tough, or not".... is troubling to me. Perhaps that's my problem though, and something I should work on.

I just feel that dealing with contentious verbiage from people you don't see eye to eye with is a large part of life. I feel that it is a key part of surviving life and living life to it's fullest. Pretending that it isn't and removing "contention" in such an artificial and ham-fisted manner... eh, I just think it's wrong and can't personally see eye to eye with it and go blindly go along with it.

All righty... that about covers it. Again, I appreciate the platform for being allowed to type it out as I exit stage left.

I'll end this by wishing everyone a very happy 2018 and best of luck in wherever their life's travels take them.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
Well... after thinking it over for a week or so, this will be my last post here.

I'm not leaving angry and I don't have any issue with the admins/moderators running their forums the way they see fit. At the end of the day, it's their boards, their clubhouse... and they are free to run it however they like.

I'm only writing this because, rather than just disappear... I feel I should take 10 minutes to express my gratitude to said admins/mods for allowing me to write these 1200 posts over the last 5 years (some posts being more poignant/tactful/meaningful than others  8)). I do appreciate the fact that I've been allowed that privilege.

That said, I personally don't agree with and can't get on board with censorship when it comes to thoughts/ideas/words that are entirely on topic and don't break any kind of law. The fact that verbiage within established boards/topics can be deemed "too contentious" and essentially banned from a site that encourages survival "when times are tough, or not".... is troubling to me. Perhaps that's my problem though, and something I should work on.

I just feel that dealing with contentious verbiage from people you don't see eye to eye with is a large part of life. I feel that it is a key part of surviving life and living life to it's fullest. Pretending that it isn't and removing "contention" in such an artificial and ham-fisted manner... eh, I just think it's wrong and can't personally see eye to eye with it and go blindly go along with it.

All righty... that about covers it. Again, I appreciate the platform for being allowed to type it out as I exit stage left.

I'll end this by wishing everyone a very happy 2018 and best of luck in wherever their life's travels take them.

we will miss you.  Have a good one, OSU

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:35 AM »
 Well, that's it .. people leave for different reasons. Not everyone leaves because they don't like the political debates. They may leave also for awhile because they disagree with many people on politics. If people want to leave that's what they do and it's not clear you can get people to come back once they leave regardless

I do think however that moderated forums tend to be not as bad as unmoderated ones even if I don't always agree with the moderators decisions.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »
  I am sorry to see some leave,whether because of political disagreement or disagreement with admin/Mod rules. I learned long ago to stand and face my troubles and refuse to cave to mere words.This board is a large cross section of our world with many who don't share my thoughts and opinions,We are here to share and learn from one another and not to argue about our differences but to expose ourselves for a greater understanding and sometimes growth. I don't always agree with the admins or Mods,but neither do I want the burden of their work in keeping this board the kind of place I want to be a part of...they do the job well,even when I don't agree with them

If I plant tomatoes one way and someone else another...we question the advantages,discuss advantages and maybe adapt or adopt the method...
Why is this not the way we treat any differences? Yes ,I know,I have been a portion of the 'problems' and occasionally was,or was thought of as getting personal (a thing that is best to avoid) But I have learned from this and hope others also as there simply is not just one way to do things.I will someday leave this life,hopefully in my time and knowingly ,I hope also to have been even just a small part of making it better.

I joined in June 2010 ,perhaps a bit before many who are thought of as old timers,and have seen many growth changes...this is simply one.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »
Gonna miss you Ohio.  I enjoyed your thoughts and posts.

LVWood

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
Looks like the left wing libtards have won the argument by shutting down discussion through personal attacks.
I guess that's why the mods essentially locked the threads.

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »

Sorry to see. Will miss the insight. But I understand. A society raised in a vacuum eventually chokes. We'll leave the light on.

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »
It is pathetic that a forum based on being strong and self sufficient is full of people that can't handle lively discussions and disagreements. This shows that we are truly doomed as a society when forums like this are cowering to dissent of the minority. If someone can't handle words on a computer and feel threatened by faceless posts how do they expect to survive a collapse or any type of inconvenience?

LVWood

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 07:52:27 PM »
It is pathetic that a forum based on being strong and self sufficient is full of people that can't handle lively discussions and disagreements. This shows that we are truly doomed as a society when forums like this are cowering to dissent of the minority. If someone can't handle words on a computer and feel threatened by faceless posts how do they expect to survive a collapse or any type of inconvenience?

Well I just have to chime in.

It's not about the inability to stand up to the "dissent of the minority", it's about choosing whether to participate in a negative environment.
It's too bad some on this board feel empowered to bash and insult just to make a point.
We are truly doomed as a society when civility becomes extinct.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »
 I often feel like a good balance between liberalism and conservatism is good. Other times however I feel like maybe liberalism is too heavily in bedded in society

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 08:33:04 PM »
Looks like the left wing libtards have won the argument by shutting down discussion through personal attacks.

It's too bad some on this board feel empowered to bash and insult just to make a point.

Yes it is.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »
Maybe some people on here have a point however which did occur to me. That is people on the left start acting desperate and freaking out and then when it appears their argument is lost then there's no more discussion

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »
Yes it is.

Maybe not the correct thread to taunt people who are seriously considering signing out. We already lost Buckeye. Maybe let some people lick their wounds before reaching for the salt shaker.

Hell, I'll admit I'm hanging by a thread and trying to start some new Big Brother approved threads.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 09:23:41 PM »
FYI, the mods/admins have been discussing this issue for the past 3 days.  If you're thinking about leaving, hang on for a bit.  Maybe we'll pull a magic rabbit out of the hat and make everybody happy.

Also, some of the assumptions in this thread about why we did what we did are wildly incorrect.

LVWood

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
FYI, the mods/admins have been discussing this issue for the past 3 days.  If you're thinking about leaving, hang on for a bit.  Maybe we'll pull a magic rabbit out of the hat and make everybody happy.

Also, some of the assumptions in this thread about why we did what we did are wildly incorrect.
When the admins act unilaterally without comment as to the reason, assumptions are a natural occurrence.
I await your hat trick.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 02:53:33 AM »
I can kind of understand if things got out-of-control a bit that the same forums could be made read only for a few days. I would not want to be have the job of moderating the forums myself and such a hiatus would possibly force me to spend more time doing other things once in awhile which is not always a bad thing

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 05:12:28 AM »

Um, OK. But where I sit TSP is now a mandated carbon copy of the Washington Post. Carl just isn't going to find that many new flashlights.

When you build in a requirement that all news must come through the MSM you've got to know you're sabotaging the conservatives. What blows my mind is that while they squeal like stuck pigs the libertarians are vanishing. Maybe I'll survive the Great Libertarian Culling of 2018.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 06:46:44 AM »
  I may as well enter my grumpy old mans opinion. While I participated in many discussions on politics,it was as a conservative who has never chosen a party to be part of and rarely agree with others as I feel the people of politics are mostly alien to the commoners of our country and are not reflective of society . I feel politics is only good when the voice of the people and the laws of the land are adhered to and GOD is a big part of what made our country great. When the populace is tugged ,pulled,and taught things like you can't look at a woman without being blamed for sexual assault,but you can go in their bathroom because you woke up 'feeling' like a woman today...then things are totally misdirected .

The cows are in your garden and when there is nothing left ,it will be just like the pasture they left because THEY are the reason that their pasture is like it is as they don't strive to do better with what they have,only take advantage of what others made and ignore what made the garden so good.

You are not securing a better life for your own children. Be happy though,you left the gate open.