Author Topic: peanut butter  (Read 2912 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
peanut butter
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
Does anyone here make their own peanut butter ? Thought I would see what techniques have worked best before I try it out, I am thinking to try the Champion juicer first.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: peanut butter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
I tried it once with my wheat grinder it worked Ok. But $4 a pound for the nuts I can get a pound of peanut butter for $2...

I guess if I got cheaper nut I might do it.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »
I have. Mostly as a kid, though. I don't care for commercial peanut butter, all of which tastes rancid to me.

We used a grinder to grind down the nuts and then blended with salt, honey, and peanut oil. It's pretty easy and more a quest to find what you prefer in the world of chunky/creamy and salty/sweet.

I put pistachios, garlic, lemon, and fresh herbs in the Cuisinart to make a "nut butter" that I use as a marinade/filling for grilled chicken.

It's the same basic technique to use hazelnuts to make your own Nutella.

Sky's the limit and it's actually pretty easy. I'm think you can use a processor, grinder, or blender (even a mortar and pestle if you hate yourself). Be warned the fresh stuff goes off quick so smaller batches are better. I'd look up basic recipes on the web and start there. Once you discover a preference (which might be different than what you think) you can adjust accordingly.

To tell how far this goes, I grind pecans and mix with brown sugar in a saucepan with butter for a pancake sauce at the cabin. Once you have the technique it's easy to expand. Have fun!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
I tried it once with my wheat grinder it worked Ok. But $4 a pound for the nuts I can get a pound of peanut butter for $2...

I guess if I got cheaper nut I might do it.

I just split a 30pound box with 2 other households. So, the price was only $2.40/pound for organic, and the smell/taste/freshness of these is very good.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »
I have. Mostly as a kid, though. I don't care for commercial peanut butter, all of which tastes rancid to me.

We used a grinder to grind down the nuts and then blended with salt, honey, and peanut oil. It's pretty easy and more a quest to find what you prefer in the world of chunky/creamy and salty/sweet.

I put pistachios, garlic, lemon, and fresh herbs in the Cuisinart to make a "nut butter" that I use as a marinade/filling for grilled chicken.

It's the same basic technique to use hazelnuts to make your own Nutella.

Sky's the limit and it's actually pretty easy. I'm think you can use a processor, grinder, or blender (even a mortar and pestle if you hate yourself). Be warned the fresh stuff goes off quick so smaller batches are better. I'd look up basic recipes on the web and start there. Once you discover a preference (which might be different than what you think) you can adjust accordingly.

To tell how far this goes, I grind pecans and mix with brown sugar in a saucepan with butter for a pancake sauce at the cabin. Once you have the technique it's easy to expand. Have fun!

I will take that small batch to heart -- I hate cleanup and was going to do a few pounds at once, but I will limit it to 2, and keep in the fridge. Right now I am using alot of peanut butter, and the "budget organic" jarred stuff leaves alot to be desired ! Thanks for encouragement, once I am out of pain again and can bear cleaning, I will give a couple methods a try and report back.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »
I just split a 30pound box with 2 other households. So, the price was only $2.40/pound for organic, and the smell/taste/freshness of these is very good.

Give it a go :)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
I just use a good processor. I use lots of nuts to make "butter". Hazelnuts, I make into Nutella at times to make goat milk gelato when I have goats.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
For the first batch, I tried out using the Champion juicer with the solid plate in. 2 wide mouthed pint jars worth, and I stirred in 3/4t salt into each jar as the peanuts were roasted, but unsalted. I wouldnt want to make less than 1 jar at a time this way as there is alot that sticks to the grinding area, etc.... Probably a food processor you can scrape out all of it and it would have less waste. Taste and consistency is great. Storing both jars in the fridge

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 05:10:21 PM »
For the first batch, I tried out using the Champion juicer with the solid plate in. 2 wide mouthed pint jars worth, and I stirred in 3/4t salt into each jar as the peanuts were roasted, but unsalted. I wouldnt want to make less than 1 jar at a time this way as there is alot that sticks to the grinding area, etc.... Probably a food processor you can scrape out all of it and it would have less waste. Taste and consistency is great. Storing both jars in the fridge

:clap: It really is a quality step up from store bought. Love it.

I forgot to mention earlier that you also now have a base for a real home-made Thai peanut sauce which is awesome on raw veggies (my opinion).

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:07:32 PM »
:clap: It really is a quality step up from store bought. Love it.

I forgot to mention earlier that you also now have a base for a real home-made Thai peanut sauce which is awesome on raw veggies (my opinion).

:clap: MM

Thai peanut sauce recipe.....please :)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »
I would also love the peanut sauce recipe -- I only know the "quick" stir fry sauce peanut sauce ( equal amounts peanut butter and hot water to blend, additions depending on mood, such as a bit of toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, hot sauce of some type or pinch of cayenne - but always fresh pressed garlic )

Taste test vs cheap organic in fridge, now that the fresh is chilled show no comparison on taste.

Notes are : Reduce salt to 1/2t next time, although this level is still in a good range
Also, if I had taken apart the Champion earlier, I may have been able to easily have saved another 1/4 cup of peanut butter from the walls of the grinding chamber. And, it is a pain to clean, peanut butter in nooks and crannies. But, it did make good peanut butter. A food processor would clean easier, maybe I will do a small test batch in one in a few months to compare the product

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:18:43 AM »
  Maybe ,after making peanut butter,you can make some peanut butter sauce to make more used,less waste ,of product. I am interested in this as I love peanut butter .

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:46:16 AM »
Found a peanut sauce pretty close to what I do.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72487/the-best-thai-peanut-sauce/

There are many variations so if you hate an ingredient there are options. For me the bare bones are the peanuts, lime juice, fish sauce, and garlic. Go from there. If I make a bowl with some fresh cut carrots, pea pods, and a little pork satay I'm done for the afternoon.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »

There are many variations so if you hate an ingredient there are options. For me the bare bones are the peanuts, lime juice, fish sauce, and garlic. Go from there. If I make a bowl with some fresh cut carrots, pea pods, and a little pork satay I'm done for the afternoon.

Thanks

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 10:57:24 AM »
  Maybe ,after making peanut butter,you can make some peanut butter sauce to make more used,less waste ,of product. I am interested in this as I love peanut butter .

Ah, you mean rinse the tube with hot water to get most out and use as sauce base ? Good idea

One of the other families I split the order with reported back, she made a quart of it in her food processor with a bit of coconut oil and salt (they say to add a bit of oil to make it smooth when you use a food processor)

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »

Picked up the stuff to make the sauce tonight. Ill start with your base, peanut butter, lime, fish sauce (what part of the fish do you get the sauce from?) And garlic. Not to sure about the coconut milk, I'll do a taste test to see if I like it.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
  You might not like all the sauce that comes from the fish. :P

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
  You might not like all the sauce that comes from the fish. :P

:)

Offline kimmarg

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 09:12:45 AM »
Where'd you get the peanuts. I but Trader Joes PB at about $2/lb. We use about 1lb/week. I could easily use 30lbs of peanuts..

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 11:54:08 AM »
Where'd you get the peanuts. I but Trader Joes PB at about $2/lb. We use about 1lb/week. I could easily use 30lbs of peanuts..

you could use trader joes peanuts, but they arent as good as these.

We bought ours thru Azure Standard https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/food/nuts/peanuts/roasted-no-salt/shelled/peanuts-dry-roasted-no-salt-organic/9829?package=NU050

They have trucks that deliver monthly to set "drop" points all over the country, and that is free if you use a drop point. There is one by me, about 10 minutes from me. There is a set time the truck gets to where it delivers, so if you do not yet know anyone who uses the system, you need to be there at that time to meet the truck, often during business hours, mine is at 8am every 4th tuesday morning in the grocery store parking lot in a nearby town. I used to go to a drop spot that was at a private residence, if it is at a private residence you can usually let your stuff sit there and pick up later. I dont know where you live, you can check with azure online or by phone to see where your nearest drop point, if there is one, is.

Offline kimmarg

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 05:53:54 PM »
Thanks for the info. I've heard of Azure. Regrettably they don't seem to deliver to the northeast. I've found several of those types of bulk food trucks seem to skip the northeast. Dunno why there's plenty of population.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 07:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the info. I've heard of Azure. Regrettably they don't seem to deliver to the northeast. I've found several of those types of bulk food trucks seem to skip the northeast. Dunno why there's plenty of population.

Azure is headquartered in Oregon, and is a small organization. They have expanded over the year, but not over the whole country yet.

You should see if your local healthfood store can just order you a box, usually they will do this thru their distributers and you will have a discount for getting the whole box. ALso, check for co-ops in your area, local ordering schemes. Seems that Waldorf or Homeschool families may do this more than average, so reach out to those groups if you have trouble. Otherwise, use Trader joes peanuts and I am sure it will be good

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 01:09:57 AM »

using a champion juicer to make the peanut butter, straight into wide mouth pints, then I stirred in 3/4tsalt per jar and put them in the fridge

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 04:04:26 AM »
Interesting thread, I've often thought of making peanut butter but never had. I may just give it a go now.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 11:27:32 PM »
+1 MountainMoma