Author Topic: Outfitting the Kitchen  (Read 2858 times)

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
Re: Outfitting the Kitchen
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2018, 08:21:21 PM »
We need to redo our kitchen since it is from 1986 and is showing its age. We are planing to add  some features to it so I can sit and cook or use a wheel chair if I follow my sister's path of decline. Not only will this be for me as I decline but we may have my in laws move in with us when they get older.   We bought a ranch house 15 minutes out side a small city for this reason. It also happens to be zoned agricultural.  8)

When we redo the kitchen I will be designing it to be used sitting or standing.
We will have drawers on all the lower cabinets. 
The cabinets below the stove top and sink will open up to the floor and slide into the side of the cabinets so I can pull a stool or chair  and work while seated. 
I will also have a siting height counter as part of the kitchen.  This may be a pull out island that slides under part of the counter when not in use.
A french door wall mounted oven slightly lower than average.  I may put the microwave above or below it.  I use the oven way more than the microwave but I don't think my husband will go for getting rid of it. 
A shallow depth french door fridge
The kitchen will not have a fixed island so I can use a wheel chair if needed. 
Pantry cabinets with pull out shelves will extend into the dining room so I will have plenty of easy to use storage. 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2018, 04:56:03 AM »
Rockler has some crazy options to make the kitchen more usable. I'll find one here...

http://www.rockler.com/rev-a-shelf-heavy-duty-mixer-lift

It's a question of how to make your tools more accessible. There are options to make life easier.
My 110# sister had one of these put in her kitchen when they redid it a couple of years ago.  She can move that heavy mixer with a touch of a finger now.  Works wonderful
F_M

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
Rockler has some crazy options to make the kitchen more usable. I'll find one here...

http://www.rockler.com/rev-a-shelf-heavy-duty-mixer-lift

It's a question of how to make your tools more accessible. There are options to make life easier.

Ooo, neat! We are buying a house this year, and we'll have enough money left over from the sale of our old place for some improvements...*runs off to plan dream kitchen*

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
I thought of one more thing as I was cleaning the kitchen today: the faucet. I never thought about it until we got to our new place and I really don't like it (if it wasn't an apartment I'd replace it today). It should be easy to turn on and off and adjust with a forearm, so when your hands are covered in ground beef from making meatballs you don't have to touch it. The one here has separate hot and cold handles, and they're small, which is really hard to use with messy hands. I'm also not a fan of the ones with the small, single handle on the side. I don't recommend the touch-sensitive ones either, my cousin has one and it's temperamental as hell (not to mention expensive). The ones with the large, single overhead handle work best for me, like this one (a larger handle would be better, but they're getting hard to find).

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »
Ooo, neat! We are buying a house this year, and we'll have enough money left over from the sale of our old place for some improvements...*runs off to plan dream kitchen*

Be very careful. We started planning out a remod and stopped when I hit $10k in nothing but hardware from Rockler. Even with me buying rough lumber and making all the cabinets, installing a counter myself, and doing all the plumbing work myself it was the exotic hardware that really got pricey.

I thought of one more thing as I was cleaning the kitchen today: the faucet. I never thought about it until we got to our new place and I really don't like it (if it wasn't an apartment I'd replace it today). It should be easy to turn on and off and adjust with a forearm, so when your hands are covered in ground beef from making meatballs you don't have to touch it. The one here has separate hot and cold handles, and they're small, which is really hard to use with messy hands. I'm also not a fan of the ones with the small, single handle on the side. I don't recommend the touch-sensitive ones either, my cousin has one and it's temperamental as hell (not to mention expensive). The ones with the large, single overhead handle work best for me, like this one (a larger handle would be better, but they're getting hard to find).

No kidding. I have a hunk of junk Moen I've replaced the gaskets on a few times. I actually priced out putting in a restaurant style dish station. Big, all-stainless and a dishwasher with a 2 minute cycle. Not to mention the elephant trunk spray hose and industrial dispose-all. That got a quick veto from the Mrs.  :'(

I still want a big UNDERMOUNT sink with an spray faucet. Anything else is not ideal.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
I still want a big UNDERMOUNT sink with an spray faucet. Anything else is not ideal.

Oh yeah, undermount for sure. I also prefer a single, large basin versus the more common 2-basin sink since I don't really do much hand washing, and even when I do I want more space to maneuver in the sink.