Author Topic: Bermuda to pasture?  (Read 647 times)

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Bermuda to pasture?
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:03:45 PM »
I am moving to land with 4 cows feeding on Bermuda grass(and supplemental hay and feed). I am going to switch to rotational grazing and hope to come close to the increase in fertility and pasture that Salatin has. I want to get more pasture growing and get rid of the Bermuda. How hard will this be? The cows really over grazed and hurt the grass. The whole land is irrigated and sprinklers going. Can true pasture out compete Bermuda eventually or will it need to be removed? I don't mind the Bermuda I just think there is better grasses for cows. How should I attack this?

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Bermuda to pasture?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
Where are you located?

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
Southern AZ

Online Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 04:38:51 PM »
Four cows need a lot of grass.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
I’m up in MI so I don’t your area well.  Folks do use bermuda grass for cows and horses so I’d think you could use it.  Do some research on legumes that do well in your area,too.  Maybe you can overseec with a bit of alfalfa to increase the protein in your pasture.

If you do want to get rid of it, the fact the cows already overgrazed it might be a blessing.  Maybe you can overseec a SW US pasture blend right over the stressed-out bermuda.

Offline jd350az

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
That's kinda what I'm hoping, to add native grasses, legumes, clover maybe, etc to the pasture while the Bermuda is over grazed. I know I'll need feed just going to improve pasture and get more grass for them to eat and eventually cut down on the supplemental feed.