Author Topic: Newbie with dual/2 channel question  (Read 895 times)

Offline dirtroad doc

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Newbie with dual/2 channel question
« on: January 20, 2018, 06:42:28 AM »
So in my never ending battle to end procrastination I am trying to close out the deal on my Ham radio purchase. My plan is to purchase 2 radios, one will like stay in my truck, the other between the house and my wife's truck. Have actually already purchased a j-pole and mounting hardware for the house, plus things I need for the base station. For the radios I think what I want is something (forgive the incorrect language and ignorance please) dual channel, that actually lets me monitor one channel and speak on the other.  I have studied for and am ready for my test (more procrastination) and dont see moving  beyond the technician class in the near future. I have some difficulty when reading the specs and reviews as to which radios will actually allow me to as described.

Any help is appreciated

Thanx

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Newbie with dual/2 channel question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »
 There are currently no two channel radios that can talk and listen at the same time that I am aware of in anyones budget.
Most VHF or dual band VHF/UHF radios can scan or monitor two or more frequencies at once though CROSS BAND REPEAT MODE where the radio re-transmits what it hears from one band to the other VHF to UHF and UHF to VHF. With your question as my guide,how did you purchase what you need for a home station without knowing what radio you would purchase?

I ask questions to better give advise as with VHF/UHF the type of antenna,it's height above terrain,and even the coax used can make a huge difference in range and consistent capability of the radio.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
I'm guessing Dual Watch maybe?  Meaning you have 2 VFO's built in and can monitor more than 1 frequency at a time.

ex: Listening to your Local 2m Repeater while scanning for other traffic in your area?  Or taking on 1 frequency back to your house while you monitor traffic from the local 440 repeater.

if that is indeed what you're looking to do, I will recommend what I use (on a daily basis) to do both of those.  While mobile and in the shack.

The Kenwood TMv-71a is my go to favorite dual-band full power radio.

There may be others available, but I have built my shack and mobile installs around this rig-I have no regrets  :D

Hope that helps!

this stuff here may also help:
http://hamradio360.com/index.php/start-here/

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
If I am understanding what you want correctly, you're after a transceiver unit with dual receivers and a single transmitter in a single unit. Something along the lines of the Yaesu FTM-400, or the Kenwood that SCWolverine mentioned, etc.. Other than those types of rigs, you'll have a single receiver and transmitter, which precludes actually listening to more than one frequency at a time.

Instead, they(most anyway) will have a "dual watch" or similarly named feature which will rapidly change the receive frequency between the "main" and a "sub". If the "main" is inactive, and a signal is detected on the "sub", it will typically remain on the sub for some specific time period(sometimes there are several preset options to choose from), or until no signal has been detected for "x" amount of time, then it will switch back to the "main".

There really isn't much advantage to having a dual receiver rig, and in some cases it can become very confusing, very quickly. Mine(Yaesu FTM-400) is almost always set to the most used of the local repeater frequencies. In inclement weather when Skywarn activates spotters, all official traffic is on one repeater and any other traffic is asked to use one of the others. When things get exciting it's all too easy to have the wrong frequency selected and give a report or interrupt with non essential communication. Just some things to think about.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 11:56:55 PM »

The Kenwood TMv-71a is my go to favorite dual-band full power radio.

I have this radio as well.  I would guess the other 2 of the big 3 make dual VFO radios.  Its great to have dual VFO radio and i recommend it.