Author Topic: duck bedding  (Read 532 times)

Offline Packerfan78

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
duck bedding
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:27:59 PM »
hey guys! i apologize if this was asked or if its an obvious question. I have been using shavings for my ducks in their coop. Its been frustrating because after a few hours it becomes a sloppy wet paste. Does anybody have any suggestions on what you use for bedding in your coop?

LVWood

Re: duck bedding
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
You mean like a bag of shavings you get at a tack and feed store?
Maybe try straw.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: duck bedding
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
I have raised 100+ ducks at a time. They are soggy slobs. If they can create a pond, they will do nothing but. I used deep wood chips. Straw won't work well, especially if you plan on removing it at some point. Put a deep feed pan under the water to catch the drips (in reality --- the flood), and dump.it out, or drill a drain hole, and make the water go downhill out if the pen/s.

Do change their water system. I used an evevated automatic dog dish and they don't d not play in it so much. My next system will be water cups.

Remember they are aquatic... The are addicted to water, and I have seriously seen them take a small drip from a roof eave which was the size of a quarter on the ground, and they all worked as a team with their bills to expanded that quarter sized spot to a lake 4-6" deep, and 4'x7' across. Some breeds are worse than others. The Welsh Harlequins were the worst. Dutch Hookbills not too bad, the geese, actually not bad at all, and the Muscovies would find ready made swimming holes.

Cedar