Author Topic: MARS, AREc etc volunteers. How do you organize your kit?  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
MARS, AREc etc volunteers. How do you organize your kit?
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:48:55 AM »
hi!
Pending my inclusion to the Greek roster of certified civil protection volunteers,
i need your help to re-organize my Radio kit, in carry-able modules

I mean ones has
- a small standalone small kit
- a radio go-box
- a powerbox
which are stand alone.

but what about the
- antenna pole
- antennas
- wire antennas
- antenna coax wires
- power cabling
- PC interface and programming cables
- tools, crimper, extra material (connectors, coax)
how/where do you pack them

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: MARS, AREc etc volunteers. How do you organize your kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »
  • duct tape
  • $1000 in cash
  • bottle of bourbon

While I'm joking, those items would probably be handy in a real emergency.

Assuming a team of folks that have basic gear, having things like coax cables and adapters is actually more important that extra radios.
Everyone should have an HT, but 10 mobile rigs at one location is not really useful.

When I work with city and county teams, it's not uncommon for there to be a gas/diesel generator and a portable crank up antenna mast.
There are certainly scenarios where the city people cannot deploy these resources, so having some portable batteries is helpful.

I have something like this filled with a large variety of connectors and adapters.

Unless your mission includes using digital modes or VHF packet, I wouldn't make PC and accessories a high priority. It does add complexity for power and kit size.

Something else to consider - if you imagine being completely self-supported, then you also should pack food, clothing, shelter and some personal hygiene items.
In most cases you will not need that, but if you need to rely on portable power for several days, the chance of needing a hot shower increase ;)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
i am good at any gear.
I just need advice on avoiding getting to this

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »
That is difficult to avoid if you have to support your entire radio setup.  Meaning,

* you have to have your own antenna
* you have to support your antenna
* you have to provide your own power (at least in some portion)
* etc....

How many radios do you intend to carry and thus support?  With each radio of course need, power, radio, mic, coax, mast, antenna...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:15:00 AM »
That is difficult to avoid if you have to support your entire radio setup.  Meaning,

* you have to have your own antenna
* you have to support your antenna
* you have to provide your own power (at least in some portion)
* etc....

How many radios do you intend to carry and thus support?  With each radio of course need, power, radio, mic, coax, mast, antenna...

Part of being a vetted EmComm volunteer is being prepared to deploy.  There could be a flood, winter storm, etc.
You might work as a glorified crossing guard with a dual band HT. Many of us have fantasies of making some DX contact to the rebel base during an alien invasion, but you are more likely to simply relay information.

Because I've passed the background checks and am "on a list" as a volunteer, I get asked to help with all sorts of things that are barely radio related. Crowd control at parades, sitting in a booth at some local fair, etc.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:26:24 AM »
I have been on our local ARES team since about May so I am a newbie big time.

What I was told is that most likely wherever we get deployed to we will most likely be using the EOC's radios as far as mobile units go.

We all have our own HTs and I think all of us have a 2 Meter in our vehicles.

For radio equipment I would say extra batteries, cables, maybe a 2 Meter roll up antenna or mag mount. Just in case.

But the big thing seems to be things like protective gear, IDs and food and water.

Oh yeah one big thing for our team is having many copies of the forms we use.

As I think about it I am sure there is more that I am missing but I am at work so I got be done this break :-)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 04:22:51 PM »
I have been on our local ARES team since about May so I am a newbie big time.

What I was told is that most likely wherever we get deployed to we will most likely be using the EOC's radios as far as mobile units go.

We all have our own HTs and I think all of us have a 2 Meter in our vehicles.

For radio equipment I would say extra batteries, cables, maybe a 2 Meter roll up antenna or mag mount. Just in case.

But the big thing seems to be things like protective gear, IDs and food and water.

As I think about it I am sure there is more that I am missing but I am at work so I got be done this break :-)

That's fairly accurate.  I only have about 2 years more experience, but I concur with that.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 04:48:03 PM »
  Maybe you can get some ideas from my PORTABLE HAM area of my Google Drive,download any you want.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIRHhSSmV4LUNYWnc

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:55:42 AM »
You might work as a glorified crossing guard with a dual band HT. Many of us have fantasies of making some DX contact to the rebel base during an alien invasion, but you are more likely to simply relay information.
Because I've passed the background checks and am "on a list" as a volunteer, I get asked to help with all sorts of things that are barely radio related. Crowd control at parades, sitting in a booth at some local fair, etc.

From what i have heard the main need/use is to put radios on non-equipped vehicles and to put radio operators that know what they are doping on already equipped ones. You won't believe the horror stories I heard of.  Like of a fire chief yelling on the mobile radio while keeping an active HT on the other hand and blaming for a defective radio.

Another action may be setting up a observation point for wildfires. For that i can spare a Baofeng and even TWO DIY 1/4wave groundplanes with their own PVC pipe mast.

well Civil Protection volunteers are supposed to use state provided radios, but anyone want to bet on the functionality of a PRC backpack radio stored for ages with its 16 alkaline batteries in?

that I am sort of covered. Quite some time ago nearby county club was kind enough to provide me with their Emcomm forms and stuff.

Short rand following....

I will have to say a few things of my situation. I belong to a club that split 3-ways. Only one of the spin-off was involved in EmComm and I was not in it. Even this died off. Practically i am alone into this, and for all this bad blood and bad behaviour, I have distanced myself from all but two of the locals HAMs.
I tried to get myself activated because a local SF reservists club has formed its own SAR team and there is a tradition of the fire dept getting help from spontaneous volunteers (farmers and onwers of construction equipment) in the very rare occasion of a wildfire.
Even the SF guys know very little about comms, the era of individual combat radio never effectively reaching Greek SF.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:19:00 AM by Greekman »

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 02:17:06 AM »
Now on equipment....

Generally i am good on VHF/UHF equipment. i.e Each of my HT has its own field antenna (grounplane or dipole), cabling to external power source and a lithium powerbank to save the battery when being static. etc etc etc.

The problem is not lack off equipment, my problem is how to organize it.
(practically -as a prepper- i have taken care of regional radio comms for 3 families of close relatives (my SHTF plan))

example 1
To make my mobile a SDR scanner i need a cell phone powerbank and a handful of cables. (article soon to follow)
If I am to make a kit for it, where should it go?
Along with my HT kit, since both devices will be on me all times, or with a larger kit, where my external speaker, its power supply, and other wires are?

example 2
where should i place connector adapters? along with the coax connectors in the tools kit?
At the moment I have some basic connectors with each radio, plus connectors and adapters along with the tools and coax wire, plus more adapters at the car.
but the logistics are killing me.

thus what is a better practice? have stand alone kits for every radio, or a major pool of equipment where one has to grab material from?