Author Topic: Comms are temporarily down at Smurf's shack  (Read 251 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Comms are temporarily down at Smurf's shack
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:18:47 AM »
This past weekend my trusty little Yaesu FT-450 went Tango Uniform.  Yaesu support believes the CPU failed. Not much a modern ham can do about that, so it's shipped off for service.

To occupy myself, I've started tinkering with VHF packet more. I recently got a free AEA pk-232 TNC.  I've got that beast all configured and sent a few winlink packet emails.  I might even play around with a packet BBS or other functions.  Or lightning fast 9600 baud!?

Oddly enough, the day the radio failed, I had just finished configuring a linux based Raspi as a ham shack PC.  I had 3 sound cards working, had FT-8 with rig control and the whole 9 yards.
I was definitely getting my $35 worth of that little embedded PC.

My gear may fail, but my experience and skill remains. Worst case my region's biggest ham swap meet is less than a month off.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Comms are temporarily down at Smurf's shack
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that,.. Yaesu has been solid for the shack here, and nearly all gear is Yaesu.. My Elmer gifted me a Jetstream, and loaned me an Icon 706 -

I to have been working on some digital...  I'm working on getting APRS established in my county of operation, and on a raspberry pi no less...  I just got  the Pi Zero, and will look to get a TNC-Pi in the future also.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:28:21 PM »
Sorry to hear that,.. Yaesu has been solid for the shack here, and nearly all gear is Yaesu.. My Elmer gifted me a Jetstream, and loaned me an Icon 706 -

I to have been working on some digital...  I'm working on getting APRS established in my county of operation, and on a raspberry pi no less...  I just got  the Pi Zero, and will look to get a TNC-Pi in the future also.

I have a couple mobile radios and an HT all by Yaesu.  I'm not hating on them at all.
That said, check back with me after I get the service invoice.  :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
  I have a great ICOM IC737 that I can loan you ,if you need one. ::)
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
  I have a great ICOM IC737 that I can loan you ,if you need one. ::)

There is something to be said for a radio with a big smooth VFO knob.  Sit back in your desk chair with a cup of coffee, and very slowly scan the band.
But for real day to day operating the FT-450 is a champ.

Some day I'd like another "big"  radio, maybe with a band scope.  But also a little radio has appeal on the other end of the spectrum (no pun intended, but you are free to laugh).