Author Topic: Portable Gardening  (Read 802 times)

Offline Eric Conaway

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Portable Gardening
« on: February 17, 2018, 11:22:41 PM »
I garden on rented property. I don't want to plant everything in the ground, especially trees. I did an internet search for portable gardening and found this: https://www.nation.co.ke/business/seedsofgold/Portable-orchards-smart-urban-farming-/2301238-3192010-muc3an/

This man uses polythene bags in which to plant his trees. Is this recommendable? Will the plants leach toxins from the bags or are the bags safe?

Thank you!!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Portable Gardening
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:10 AM »
I garden on rented property. I don't want to plant everything in the ground, especially trees. I did an internet search for portable gardening and found this: https://www.nation.co.ke/business/seedsofgold/Portable-orchards-smart-urban-farming-/2301238-3192010-muc3an/

This man uses polythene bags in which to plant his trees. Is this recommendable? Will the plants leach toxins from the bags or are the bags safe?

Thank you!!

I think the toxin thing is probably a non-issue.  Besides, if you are going for greater independence from systems of support I dont think a practice that can't be much worse than current agricultural practices (with pesticides and such) is worth worrying about.

I am not sure how well that will work with north American fruit trees though I will defer to those who actually grow them.  I think many simply take the "giving back" approach and plant fruit bearing plants wherever they live.  Our last move we left a heck of a strawberry patch behind. 

Offline Eric Conaway

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
Thank you, Chemsoldier!

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
I know a few guys who have potted figs.  And they have to de-pot them every few years to trim the roots.  So I would imagine any tree could have root bound issues.  Those bags look hard to handle too.  A huge pot and a small tree/bush may more manageable.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
I knew I was buying 40 acres and moving from a 1 acre rented place.but it was March, and it was cloding in july,  so  I put 90-some tomatoes in 3 gallon pots and it took a couple truckloads to move just them when I got the place. Blueberries, apples, raspberries, strawberries, all in pots. Gets you ahead.

Cedar

Offline Eric Conaway

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
Thank you, guys!