Author Topic: Countyomm GP5 SSB  (Read 1032 times)

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Countyomm GP5 SSB
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
Anyone have experience with the Countycomm GP5? I'm wondering how a random wire antenna would work with this radio.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Countyomm GP5 SSB
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:54 AM »
  This radio has been discussed in other threads ,the search box may help. I have a TECSUN PL360 ,the NON SSB version and it can get overloaded by an external antenna ,though ,at times of low noise,it can also be a benefit. For other threads ,you might look to the top right search bar and search from HOME to cover the entire forum.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:44:18 PM »
I like mine, but have very limited time with it (good reminder) it's a NICE little SSB receiver for sure!

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »
I have not used mine with any antenna over 50ft on camping clothesline reel, and it works well.  Good enough to decode psk using my phone.  So small no reason not have one. 

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:35:31 PM »
I have been using the 10’clip on antenna provided but wanted to squeeze out a little more performance. Does overloading mean it damages the radio or collects to much signal?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:30:07 AM »
I have been using the 10’clip on antenna provided but wanted to squeeze out a little more performance. Does overloading mean it damages the radio or collects to much signal?

NO. Damage may happen due to lightening or use of a power line for an antenna...the 'overload' I referred to is that the radio can ,when MORE signal than designed for is received ...the selectivity (ability to hear individual signals rather than a mass) and sensitivity ( amplifiers within the radio are overwhelmed by too high signals,like someone yelling in your ears,and audio reproduction suffers)

That said ,I do use a 17 foot wire that works well and many 'roll up' antennas that clip to the whip antenna are offered and are 11 to 23 or so feet long and they work well most of the time on my NON-SSB version of the radio. No danger in trying a wire antenna though QUALITY OF SIGNAL may suffer a bit.

Offline leadeye

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
Is there a preference with wire such as stranded or solid and gauge of wire? I’m in a fairly quiet area.
       I originally purchased as a backup for shortwave. I now realize I could use this to see if there is any SSB CB communications in my area or if I should just go ham.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 12:21:30 PM »
 Most any wire strong enough to support it's weight will work fine for receive antenna as little power capacity is needed and a quarter  wavelength is a bit less than 9 feet ,so my suggested 17 feet should do well for normal range of reception on the CB band and work acceptable on most commercial bands.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:25:07 AM »
Is there a preference with wire such as stranded or solid and gauge of wire? I’m in a fairly quiet area.
       I originally purchased as a backup for shortwave. I now realize I could use this to see if there is any SSB CB communications in my area or if I should just go ham.

This response will derail the thread, I apologize in advance!

That Depends.

Amateur Radio is a Phenomenal Communications tool that offers a much more vast array of frequency allotment and equipment choices over SSB CB on the 11meter band. (I'm an Amateur, as well as a CB owner  :D )

That said, it depends on you and your desired end goal. 

Ham is not hard, nor is the start-up cost overly expensive when compared to a decent SSB CB. 

To prevent further over-runs I'll invite you to the Ham Radio Sub-Forum here on TSP if we can help you there.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=72.0

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 04:19:07 PM »
  I use mine with my ham radio antenna and tuner. No problem here. I use it with my Super Tuna II Plus and Tuner Helper QRP rig. Even when I transmit my wopping 1.9 watts on 40 meters it does not damage the radio, but it is loud. Grin.