Author Topic: Home surveillance Camera system  (Read 815 times)

Offline Freespool

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Home surveillance Camera system
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »
Anyone in here have real experience with home surveillance camera systems?  We have an organized crime group (according to police) working my area breaking into homes and vehicles.  They come in and out every week or so.  Want a system to cover my perimeter and to film the corner by my house and the park across the street.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Home surveillance Camera system
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »
My brother setup these around his home, good vision and lets you see at night:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QH0Q8J4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I21L70VGCSDQ91&colid=LCOGT36H1LSG&psc=1

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »
     I have a security camera that records remotely to a hidden receiver/recorder. That way if the camera is smashed or taken, still have a record of license numbers, faces, etc.

Offline Skispcs

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
I like what I have installed but it is more than a kit you can buy at the big box store.
12 or so Hikvision HD network cameras with different lenses based upon their location.
All of the cameras are powered via POE and 24ga Cat6 cable run to them.
A 24 port POE switch for connectivity and power.
A powerful PC with an i7 cpu and terabytes of storage running Blue Iris.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
I like what I have installed but it is more than a kit you can buy at the big box store.
12 or so Hikvision HD network cameras with different lenses based upon their location.
All of the cameras are powered via POE and 24ga Cat6 cable run to them.
A 24 port POE switch for connectivity and power.
A powerful PC with an i7 cpu and terabytes of storage running Blue Iris.

Nice!!!

It all comes down to wanting someone else to blame or blaming yourself for failure. All systems break at some time for some reason. My Ring video doorbell overheats in the summer in direct sun and turns off until I can pull power to reset it.

The important parts are camera placement, area of view (wide angle vs zoom lens), resolution, power source, wired vs wireless interface, and night vision capability.  Storage and processing are important too. Also continuous record vs motion sensitive is important. You may be surprised at the difference between low sensitivity and high sensitivity settings and who is going to review the video. Also, is the video proactive or reactive? Do you want to prevent the crime or just document the crime and have good evidence. Also, a 720p camera placed near your roof is way different than a 3MP camera at eye-level.

Blue iris is based in Windows. Zonealarm is based in Linux. Both are home brew.

Getting an NVR on Amazon and picking individual cameras based on need is a good medium. Better than a box set of 720p cameras but not quite full home brew.

Continuous record wireless cameras are a bad idea but wireless mention sensitive aren't as bad. Think of it as one telephone line with 10 people yelling all of the time vs. 10 people periodically yelling in short bursts.

Lastly, cloud storage prevents destruction of the device from destroying the video. But cloud storage is only for short clips.

Let us know what you pick

Jerseyboy