Author Topic: Want one of my knives?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Want one of my knives?
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »
I'm doing a little cleanup around the house. I've got more than 50 pocket knives. Time to trim the herd. So I'm going to offer them to TSPF. These are 4 knives that are in working order, haven't been fiddled with (some have never been used) and just don't work for me. None are banged up or broken. Just stuff I don't use anymore. If you're interested in one post here and I'll randomize for a winner of each variety. You'll have to be willing to give me a shipping address (and you'll learn the location of my tactical house) obviously in a private message. I'm just trying to make use of things I no longer need. If you're young or have no money for a good knife this is an opportunity. Please be over 21 or whatever legal means in your neck of the woods.

In no order at all...

Gerber Icon Tanto (new ~$35)
This is a really good folder. I like it but for other knives do everything better. It's solid, beefy, and big. The grip is amazing and you won't regret having it.

Kershaw Emerson 6044TBLK 4000629 Modified Tanto (new ~$32)
This is the best grip on the market attached to the worst blade. Only beveled on one side and sticky to open or close. That said, it gets high reviews on Amazon.

CRKT Cobra Gold (out of production $??)
This is a sheath knife with a big blade that is a nightmare to keep sharp. The massive grip is great for those with hand problems. It was a gift in the 90s and the giver would not be happy that it collects dust in my garage. It's dull right now and I feel horrible how I'm treating it. The sheath is dust coated and the blade needs a new edge. But cleaned up it's a solid knife.

Buck 102 Woodsman (I think) (new ~$55)
I have no feelings about this knife. I've owned it for about 7 years and never used it for anything. It's pretty. Too pretty. Every time I would have used it I instead grabbed a Mora or a Condor. So it sits unused. Literally mint condition. I will confess I don't like the handle. too small and not a positive grip with respect to direction.

So there they are. I'll pay shipping if you're in the lower 48 and if the situation is otherwise we can discuss. All four are good knives I just don't use. Maybe one is something you've been looking for but either outside the budget or on the bubble. Maybe you just want to try something else out and "not working for me" doesn't mean "can't work for you". Think it over. I'll keep this thread open for a month or two and then ship to anyone interested.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Want one of my knives?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
I'd love to be in the running for the gerber folder or the buck sheath knife as it is a thin handle and I have small hands, prettiness doesnt bother me, I like using pretty things, I would put it to use culling old laying hens
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:41:47 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:26:56 AM »
  All four are good knives and while I have knives,and spares,to meet my needs....I wish to put in a good word that MountainMomma should qualify for one .

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
I'd love to have the Buck 102. I've looked at them for years for hunting, but never bit the bullet. I always revert back to my Buck 112 folder I got as a kid.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »
oh now you are feeding my knife obsession. i try to keep it under control....

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »
I'd love to be in the running for the gerber folder or the buck sheath knife as it is a thin handle and I have small hands, prettiness doesnt bother me, I like using pretty things, I would put it to use culling old laying hens

I'd love to have the Buck 102. I've looked at them for years for hunting, but never bit the bullet. I always revert back to my Buck 112 folder I got as a kid.

You guys are on the list. MM... Don't want to get you arrested for carrying a Buck hunter in Cali  ;). Kidding. It's a nice knife I just never used.

All four are good knives and while I have knives,and spares,to meet my needs....I wish to put in a good word that MountainMomma should qualify for one .

oh now you are feeding my knife obsession. i try to keep it under control....

You guys make me laugh. Mountainmoma has some good luck with me historically. I'm sure she'll get something. I have for 3 decades bought knives compulsively to the point of being able to throw a butterfly knife to open it and having a collection of illegal Italian switchblades. I love knives. But doing spring cleaning I've found several that are collecting dust and could be used by others. Bear in mind this means I somehow believe I need 5 Moras still in the box, 2 SOG Tridents, a CRKT M14, a Kershaw Avalanche, a couple Condors, and I'm looking real hard at a Benchmade Adamas. And as I write this my Swisschamp is right next to me. I would EDC a Swiss Army when I was 7 years old. I grew up on acreage next to a farm. My Grandfather's Schrade "Old Timer" is sitting on the mantle downstairs.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
 I have an old BARLOW that was my grandfathers ,he passed when I was 2 years old.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »
I have an old BARLOW that was my grandfathers ,he passed when I was 2 years old.

I have an old Barlow somewhere. I believe that was the knife Tom Sawyer opined about. Old knives are cool.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
old knives are cool, my Grandpa carried a Shrade when I was a kid.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »
I'd like to clean this up in the next couple weeks. If interested, post. As it stands most everyone will get something cool. You'll have to give me a shipping address but I will pay shipping (in the states).

Offline motionman2

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
Ok, I’ll jump in on behalf of my son (he’s 9).  He’s becoming a “knife guy”, and he loves fixed blades.  He’s got me interested enough that we might try making some this summer.  Thanks for giving back the TSP’ers.  They are an amaizing bunch...and you sir are a great example.  Good luck everyone.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 08:31:53 PM »
I meant to have this done by now but I had to go drinking in Milwaukee (one of my oldest friend's bachelor party) and I'm dealing with a sick baby while my wife travels for work. SO between that and my stock stuff I have let this simmer. Since I feel I have caught the kid's cold there are afew more days to jump in. Seems everyone wants the big fixed blade so it will be a lottery.