Author Topic: WAIT....Don't buy and FT 817  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
WAIT....Don't buy and FT 817
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
  The new and improved FT 818 is on the way with one whole watt more power and updated features..WOW   :sarcasm:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en&zx=1hltig7yvthv&shva=1#trash/161c529150827f2b

And only $819  ( the same curret price as the 100 watt ICOM  IC 7100....What a deal ?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: WAIT....Don't buy and FT 817
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:03:13 AM »
Not sure if the link to your e-mail will work...but breaking news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houOA_fxXaQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:37:01 AM »
Could have been so much more.  Fail. 

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »
hope me just listing my virtually brand new Chameleon Loop antenna works out!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:09:09 AM »
My link was not good for others ,a mental lapse, but for somewhat better batteries and a whole watt more power the FT-818  ,at a couple of hundred dollars more than the FT-817 is not so much a bargain. I have owned TWO FT-817's and they are an impressive radio that,on internal batteries,gives you about 2 1/2 watts out for a couple of hours before needing recharge ( a charge cycle ...within the radio) and only 5 watts with external power. It is FUN to use QRP...like riding a bicycle compared to a motorcycle...sometimes minimal is fun. As a second ,or better third radio,the QRP rigs are fun and promote operator skill enhancement.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 01:50:17 PM »
As a second ,or better third radio,the QRP rigs are fun and promote operator skill enhancement.

a Great Point that needs repeating (again and again).  I had the 'Cadillac' here for 3 months and Never Once scored a contact when using it. 

over that time I learned that SSB QRP isn't for me (not that I ever imagined it would be).

*Cadillac = KX2

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 02:42:16 PM »
a Great Point that needs repeating (again and again).  I had the 'Cadillac' here for 3 months and Never Once scored a contact when using it. 

over that time I learned that SSB QRP isn't for me (not that I ever imagined it would be).

*Cadillac = KX2

QRP,under the best of conditions,requires an EDGE ,like CW or FT8 ...or it's signal just drifts in the wind of propagation to hopefully land a readable signal on someone's antenna....at the whims of propagation....even 100 watts is often not enough to work without the better days of propagation and luck. Soon,maybe 5 years or so,conditions will allow QRP to be fun again....until then,they make great receivers....especially the impressive KX2.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
Here's a link that works: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0818.html
Listed new features:
  • 6 watts – wow, that 0.8 dB is really going to bust pile-ups
  • TCXO – well, it'll help with digital modes, but do they need it?
  • 1900 mAh NiMH battery – in a world full of Li batteries, Yaesu brings us the best in two decade old technology.  Even a set of Eneloop Pros beat this hands-down right now.
Honestly, this is so lame that I can't help but wonder if Universal Radio's pranking us all here.

Now on to what people really want:
  • a speech compressor?
  • a modern battery?
  • Maybe build in some kind of tilt stand and front panel protection rails, you know, like everybody seems to buy right off?
  • Or the big one, how about cleaning up that dog's breakfast of a UI?

Meh, just have to wait and see.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
  Tell us what you really think,don't hold back Alan. :clap:

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »
  Tell us what you really think,don't hold back Alan. :clap:
;D

On re-thinking the whole thing, this is really what I think:
Honestly, this is so lame that I can't help but wonder if Universal Radio's pranking us all here.
Also from Universal Radio's web page:
NOTE:  This new model is expected in March. We are accepting orders now.
Um... isn't Yaesu was releasing this late next summer?  Maybe Universal Radio's getting in on April Fool's Day a month early. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 04:46:56 AM »
  When compared to the other offerings ,in it's price range,the 817/818 is hard to beat for the minimalist operator.

I would ,and HAVE,suggest to Yaesu that they make the radio power to allow 1 to 20-25 watts,an internal antenna tuner,and an external LITHIUM or NiMh or 12 volt Wet cell battery pack to allow use of the radio while charging the battery with an external charger/auto adapter/solar/or rat in a wheel generator(a hand crank would just be silly)  Will the 'dream radio' come to be???

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 05:38:17 AM »
  When compared to the other offerings ,in it's price range,the 817/818 is hard to beat for the minimalist operator.
Indeed it is.  I'm thinking that Yaesu is either (a) going to release something completely and radically new (and those "818"s shown on Universal and GigaParts are misdirection marketing) or (b) they're just going to release a warmed-over 817.

The current 817's been selling like gangbusters for years now, and while everybody says it's due for a refresh, it's still the low-cost Swiss army knife option.  Other than the clunky UI and a slight weight problem, everything else that people want to change about the 817 is available from third parties.  Maybe Yaesu is going with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 08:08:09 AM »
Indeed it is.  I'm thinking that Yaesu is either (a) going to release something completely and radically new (and those "818"s shown on Universal and GigaParts are misdirection marketing) or (b) they're just going to release a warmed-over 817.

The current 817's been selling like gangbusters for years now, and while everybody says it's due for a refresh, it's still the low-cost Swiss army knife option.  Other than the clunky UI and a slight weight problem, everything else that people want to change about the 817 is available from third parties.  Maybe Yaesu is going with "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

There is little innovation in the ham world from the Big3, it took ICOM taking an SDR and putting knobs on it to get the masses excited a few years back.  Kenwood picked (a loosing side) with DStar in a HT and it seems to offer some limited functionality. So I'm not sure why we'd expect Yaesu to do much more than a little tweak here or there.

as to an April Fools joke-it's doubtful, unless everyone is playing along.  MTC has the same description as mentioned above.  https://www.mtcradio.com/yaesu-ft-818-multi-mode-portable-qrp-transceiver/

George made a great point in the 2017 shopping show....by the time one outfits a New 817 as most do, they've invested near or the same $$ that will buy a (better performing) KX2.

The biggest winners in this will be those who find Great Deals on the Proven 817 on the Used Swap sites as owners drop to snag the Newest version of the same radio (you know those guys, right).  And honestly that may be a good thing to look towards if you're interested in portable QRP

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »

George made a great point in the 2017 shopping show....by the time one outfits a New 817 as most do, they've invested near or the same $$ that will buy a (better performing) KX2.

But you just said you were unable to make QSOs with the KX2? ;)

As we accumulate time with any hobby, in addition to experience, we also accumulate accessories.  If someone gives me a new HF or dual band mobile radio, I already have various means of power and antennas.  I even have a small collection of hand mics that might work.

If Santa Claus left an FT-817/818 on my door step, I might get a QRP antenna tuner.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
Hey, those were his words  :)

and if I were in the market for a QRP HF radio, the first one I'd spring for is an 817ND--- today!

srrsly  8)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
What *purports* to be an FT-818ND manual is on dropbox, linked from qrznow:
http://qrznow.com/yaesu-ft-818nd-user-manual/

I have to say, not all that impressive of an upgrade, if this manual is indeed the real thing.  And if it's not the real thing, somebody has way too much time on his hands.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 08:50:56 PM »
What *purports* to be an FT-818ND manual is on dropbox, linked from qrznow:
http://qrznow.com/yaesu-ft-818nd-user-manual/

I have to say, not all that impressive of an upgrade, if this manual is indeed the real thing.  And if it's not the real thing, somebody has way too much time on his hands.

Drop $200 off the price tag and I'll be interested ;)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
I'd finally convinced myself that this was all a joke, but now it's on the Yaesu web site: https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=36B7B98621AF7554C9A03C8B190C5079&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0
 :facepalm:

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
the Jokes on the consumer....again

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 02:29:00 AM »
  But it is NEW and IMPROVED and for only $200 bucks more ...What's not to like? :sarcasm:

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 09:26:16 AM »
Maybe you guys are being too cynical?

When we were new to the hobby and started looking and shiny radio ads in QST, I'm sure some old guys were shaking their heads in dismay then too.
I've only been in this hobby a few years, but it seems every new radio is met with complaints.

I think the value over the previous model is a fair point, but suppose that price premium got within $100.
This may be a better FT-817, but it's just too expensive at the moment to justify the "better" parts.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:23 AM »
  Grumpy old Hams get to tell it in our grumpy way...I remember when you were the NEW GUY smurf...you have done well.
The last thing a new Ham deserves is the FRUSTRATION of no one answering his call from his new toy radio.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
  Grumpy old Hams get to tell it in our grumpy way...I remember when you were the NEW GUY smurf...you have done well.
The last thing a new Ham deserves is the FRUSTRATION of no one answering his call from his new toy radio.

Many hobbies and activities have the same problem. While I continue to advocate skill over gear, cool new gear has a place.

A new piece of sports equipment might inspire a person to get out and play.
A new power tool might motivate you to finish some project around the house.

If it takes some gimmicky radio feature to get or keep someone on the air, I suppose I need to accept that.
Otherwise there won't be people to talk back to ME :D

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »
USB cat control and audio for digi modes
Internal tuner
Included filtering

That's what I want in a qrp radio.  After sitting on log looking at the rats nest of wires for the signalink, tuner, and little amp, I was thinking wtf its 2018 and I have this mess going on? 

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
With this new rig will we still be able to get the parts to repair the 817?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 12:15:35 PM »
With this new rig will we still be able to get the parts to repair the 817?

Typically it takes quit a while for product support to end.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 05:27:17 PM »
I think the value over the previous model is a fair point, but suppose that price premium got within $100.
This may be a better FT-817, but it's just too expensive at the moment to justify the "better" parts.
Also the actual selling prices tend to plummet once the shiny is off the new release.  I expect that in a year or so we'll see these selling for about what the 817 was pulling before this 818 hoopla started up.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 06:49:56 PM »
OK, I'm just gonna say it.  I predict that after this couple of months of pranking us around with this lame-beyond-crutches 818 business, Yaesu is going to release an astonishing new QRP rig on 1 April.  Everybody gets a good laugh (and a sigh of relief), Yaesu gets a bunch of free publicity and "good" notoriety, and the FT-817 fans line up to buy the new radios – because they really are that much better.

Well I can dream, right?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 05:02:24 AM »
  For serious communications on a budget ($619) is a great portable 100 watt radio for LESS THAN THE FT 817.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=345&products_id=72735&osCsid=p0vsj4s8p1491v4f09mc8hodi0