Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

War Darts w/ Throwing String

(1/3) > >>

iam4liberty:
The 5 foot war dart is a wonderfully effective primitive weapon.  And the tests are showing throwing strings like used by Irish are as effective as an atlatl handle of similar length; extending range by about 50%. Videos:

Part I: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJotBsrqbwI

Part II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLx0ZRqHYPI

archer:
rather cool

David in MN:
I'm always dubious of Medieval weaponry (and I almost had a Medieval history minor and make chainmail). I mean the vast majority of these type of spear weapons fall short of the basic bow and arrow. Most of the weapons depicted in art were the more stylish rather than effective (you'll see more halberds than fauchards). In fact many weapons of the time were intentionally stylized to look more impressive than practical.

Even the tip is suspect. These are people who would have known the superior Roman pilum tip for a spear rather than a giant ornate tip. And any general would have known that carrying 5 lbs of spears would equate to 200 arrows.

Cool concept but the practicality is a little desiring. I'm going to throw a spear +-10 yards? I could hit either side of the line. I'm more inclined to believe that armed guards carrying massive spears with stylized heads were part of the pomp and circumstance of state events. Still to this day Hollywood uses a Desert Eagle or "golden gun" rather than the SHTF Glock 19.

Cool video and a channel I frequent but I suspect this is a thinly used weapon. Maybe he's right that it was used in naval battles but that's the limit for me.

iam4liberty:

--- Quote from: David in MN on February 26, 2018, 04:33:20 PM ---I'm always dubious of Medieval weaponry (and I almost had a Medieval history minor and make chainmail). I mean the vast majority of these type of spear weapons fall short of the basic bow and arrow. Most of the weapons depicted in art were the more stylish rather than effective (you'll see more halberds than fauchards). In fact many weapons of the time were intentionally stylized to look more impressive than practical.

Even the tip is suspect. These are people who would have known the superior Roman pilum tip for a spear rather than a giant ornate tip. And any general would have known that carrying 5 lbs of spears would equate to 200 arrows.

Cool concept but the practicality is a little desiring. I'm going to throw a spear +-10 yards? I could hit either side of the line. I'm more inclined to believe that armed guards carrying massive spears with stylized heads were part of the pomp and circumstance of state events. Still to this day Hollywood uses a Desert Eagle or "golden gun" rather than the SHTF Glock 19.

Cool video and a channel I frequent but I suspect this is a thinly used weapon. Maybe he's right that it was used in naval battles but that's the limit for me.

--- End quote ---

Sir Niel O'Neill was the military leader of the Jacobite Dragoons so that is pretty compelling to me.

The tip is pretty typical but a wide variety of types were used depending on intended use.

iam4liberty:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version