Author Topic: Motorola CM/CP Software  (Read 1058 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Motorola CM/CP Software
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:14:41 AM »
I've come up on a set of CM and CP radios from Motorola, and am looking for the software needed to program them.

From everything I read, Motorola is pretty tight on the reigns for control on the software.  But I thought I would search out for an alternative answer on the matter.

Any one have thoughts?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Motorola CM/CP Software
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
I've come up on a set of CM and CP radios from Motorola, and am looking for the software needed to program them.

From everything I read, Motorola is pretty tight on the reigns for control on the software.  But I thought I would search out for an alternative answer on the matter.

Any one have thoughts?

I have the old 1990s DOS based Moto software for the MaxTrax and Spectra radios.  Even with the software emulators, I still need the RIB (radio interface box) to program them.
Those old analog VHF radios are easily had for $20.  I have one, but no physical way to program it myself.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:16:17 PM »
  Good luck finding software....most RIB interfaces can be had on Amazon for under $20

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
I get but also don't get why a 20 year old radio matters... let it go already..

But - then again - could it be reverse engineered to rip out cheap knock offs...

sigh..

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 04:47:42 AM »
  The Motorola radios,even old ,are well built for long years of service and many parameters are programmable only by PC so as to make them 'fool-proof' for use by even non educated persons and can be found for very low cost on the surplus market. That said...I don't care so much for them either ...except as loaner radios or as trade goods. Also they make great packet stations and those with separate receiver/transmitters  can be split and made into a repeater with little work.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:33:13 AM »
  The Motorola radios,even old ,are well built for long years of service and many parameters are programmable only by PC so as to make them 'fool-proof' for use by even non educated persons and can be found for very low cost on the surplus market. That said...I don't care so much for them either ...except as loaner radios or as trade goods. Also they make great packet stations and those with separate receiver/transmitters  can be split and made into a repeater with little work.

While their physical robustness lends themselves well to packet use, the lack of a VFO makes this a deal breaker for my needs.
You could program in all local packet stations within reach, but in an emergency flexibility is key, and you may need to work peer-to-peer or operate from a different location than your home QTH.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »
While their physical robustness lends themselves well to packet use, the lack of a VFO makes this a deal breaker for my needs.
You could program in all local packet stations within reach, but in an emergency flexibility is key, and you may need to work peer-to-peer or operate from a different location than your home QTH.

I agree totally,though there is a place for the old 'channel bound' radio...for those that want and know how to deal with them because every day is not an emergency.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 12:27:48 PM »
I agree totally,though there is a place for the old 'channel bound' radio...for those that want and know how to deal with them because every day is not an emergency.

True.  I've still got a MaxTrax with a handful of local repeater and pre-arranged simplex frequencies programmed.
Cost me $0.00