Author Topic: Green house project for my home  (Read 524 times)

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Green house project for my home
« on: March 07, 2018, 10:49:24 AM »
Last year we added a second out building.  The last 3 weeks I created a greenhouse/hoop house off of the side.  It is 10x12 I got it to the point of skinning it finally last weekend and will get the rest of the skin holding boards over the staples and the door hung this weekend.   Each piece tool less time than I thought it would but the whole project took longer than I would have expected.

I have taken a BUNCH of pictures and posted some to Flickr at the link below.  I would post a picture but have not been able to since Flickr changed something, and frankly gave up.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimisod/albums/72157690575259732

Steps I followed.
1) Create the bottom with 2x6 lumber and concrete foundation blocks.
2) Build the door jam and the structure for the back wall that will house the window in the long term but also a vent.
3) Gravel the floor (what a muddy mess)
4) Place the cattle panels as a roof.  The shed already had the rain water collection system so I had the 2x4 to mount the panel up under.  We used 3 with likely 60 overlap for the center one.  I held them together with bailing wire and then applied vinyl tape (electrical tape) over the wire to reduce ware on the plastic.
5) Paint the water barrels black to attract more heat (I hope 100 gal of solar heated rain water will slow the heat loss inside and "frost Proof")
6) Skin with 6mil Clear (ok almost clear) poly.  We got a 100 foot roll and used only 30 feet so we should get 3 skins form 1 roll if we protect the roll for the next few years.
7) Apply strips to clamp the plastic to reduce stress on the staple/poly joint.
8) Mount the door
9) Build benches and work tables

Observations:
The gravel with the limestone dust that the wife picked out is working great and not moving.
Wow did it get hot fast when we pulled the poly over.  The temp got to the high 80s at the top of the door frame as we were stapling the skin on.  The picture of the thermometer was at 5PM as the sun was approaching setting with the sensor near the top of the door frame, but centered depth wise.  That was the first day.
The plan for mounting the poly under the gutter for the rain collector could have used some more fore thought.  I had to adapt a number of times.  I finally opted to roll a board in the plastic and then slide the board burrito under the gutter but over the board I had placed on the 2x4 but above the cattle panel intended to act as a nailed for the plastic.  I did not get good pictures of this since it took 4 of us for this step and we did not stop to take pictures at this point.

We have a plan for temporarily using tables this year and building what the wife wants over summer.

I am also going to geek out and am building a temperature and humidity sensor to watch the ebb and flow.  That is another new project working with an Arduino like board to collect data.  I will try to post some data readings when I get it working.  Unfortunate I am going to be traveling a  LOT for work in the 2 months so it will not be when I need it most.

It took 3 weekends in February and March in Ohio.  Thankfully it got warm during the day, but that made for some serous mud and cold feet.  In one of the pictures you can see the thin layer of ice that formed in the rail barrels over night.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Green house project for my home
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
Looks great !

LVWood

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
Very nice!
The water barrels should add some passive heating in the evening hours too.

I'm in Vegas and I'm going to have to build one, look how much you lowered the temperature!  ;)
From the 70's to the 30's!!
A 110 degree day would put my super cooling greenhouse in the 70's...

(just kidding, I noticed they were reversed)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:26:31 AM by LVWood »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 11:20:07 AM »
Looks great. Are you noticing less heat issues with the house? Taking less?

Cedar

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »
nice job...

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:32:34 PM »
Cedar

It is actually connected to an unheated outbuilding so the house is not seeing any effect.  I am hoping that the out building will pick up some.

The wife likes the idea of harvesting honey in there since it should be warmer than outside and likely the house since we keep the house at 60.  That should help with honey flowing and drips will not be in the kitchen or living room.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »
It likely will. Friends who had a commercial honey production kept honey boxes in a 100f room for extracting.

Cedar

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 10:38:28 AM »
I can report that the greenhouse works perfectly as a honey room.  Unfortunately I lost my hives again this winter.  Sunday I moved the boxes with honey in them from one of the lost hives into the greenhouse.  I let the boxes and honey frames sit there most of the day and in the afternoon I the honey flowed from the frames like in summer.  The temps were in the mid 40s outside and the temp probe said 100.  I was in shirt sleeves.  As the sun went down the temps dropped and the honey moved much slower.  I ended up leaving the honey covered in the strainer in the greenhouse all day yesterday so after work it flowed into 8 jars with no issues.