1 (14.3%)
Catahoula Cur or Black Mouth Cur
1 (14.3%)
Dogo Argentino
0 (0%)
Other
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Best Dog Breeds for Survival.  (Read 1877 times)

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Best Dog Breeds for Survival.
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
Hey So, another Prepper Friend and I have been discussing best Dog Breeds for Survival.
Here are my thoughts. Many dogs could be good for this. However I think some breeds are obviously better than others.
I think to be in the top 5 the Dog should be good at both hunting and protection at least watchdog ability. The ability to Both feed itself and you and aid in protection are good. This can be a problem since most dogs made for protection don't hunt IE German shepherd.

Not You're Favorite Dog Breeds but what you think is best for all around survival.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Best Dog Breeds for Survival.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
I believe there is another thread started on this.

Cedar

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 04:44:25 PM »
I’ll throw out a different idea, what about a terrier like a Jack Russel?  I’m a country boy so I think in terms of farm living.  A good rat dog won’t hunt or do a good job of protecting me physically, but it can keep rodents at bay (a  problem that can be bigger than you think on a farm) and it can alert me to danger so I can protect myself.  Finally, a smaller dog requires fewer calories to support itself, and those darned rodents it kills can supply some of the food it does need.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
I could really buy into CharlesH's mindset.  Small dogs don't eat as much, so don't put as much a strain on your stores to keep it fed.  The down side of a small dog like this is they tend to be mouthy.  Not a good thing if there's a time when stealth is required.

As for your list, I knew a guy with a Rhodesian Ridgeback.  That dog was the most protective dog I've ever seen.  He knew who his people were and kept a close eye on the kids.  I don't know if that's the norm, but based on that dog I'd be happy to have that breed.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:40:31 AM »
Small or large, a dog is no match for a bad guy with a gun, or poisoned bait.  I see a dog as an early warning system.  Our dog is relatively small, but even in the house with the television on, she somehow hears people walking by outside before they reach the property line.  She has learned that if she makes a good enough show of barking at the front door, followed by a proven open door view of someone passing, she gets her treat.  In SHTF, her actions could be lifesaving.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 05:50:02 AM »
Small or large, a dog is no match for a bad guy with a gun
Yep, but how many real badasses have had all the steam taken out of their sails just by the threat of the cops sending in the dog?  A dog works pretty well as a deterrent as well.  Easily taken down?  Sometimes, but people are more delicate than dogs.  If I was a bad guy in a SHTF situation and I'm looking to do you harm, I wouldn't be gunning for the dog.

It's all about layered defenses and tools.  A dog fills the need as a warning system and a deterrent, but also as a tool to rid the area of pests.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
I thought there was one
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=23328.0

Cedar
Yeah, I was going to merge them, but when I did my search I saw that was from 2011 so figured I'd let this one run a little on its own then merge them later.  There's another thread from 2013 as well.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:47:24 AM »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:29:24 AM »
I lost 2 big dogs in the past year.  One to sudden illness, the other we put down after 16 years.

So we're left with the "little" 11 pound havanese.  Not ideal as a Jack Russel terrier, but she does give me a heads up when UPS truck is down the block, or teenagers are hanging out in the neighborhood late at night.

Personally, I enjoy playing with a bigger dog. I like to "rassle" (as grandpa would say), go on long walks/hikes. That part of me would enjoy a lab-mix or something along those lines.
But for general household security, a little dog can be pretty keen about surroundings.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 09:25:08 PM »
I had two Akitas Great Protection Dogs.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 02:33:52 AM »
  I like the Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special.... :)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
All this dog was a sweetheart, but couldn't even protect a baofeng walkie-talkie.

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
I have a different take.  I raise critters to eat (rabbits, chickens, goats, & cattle).  As such, I have a strong preference for the shepard type dogs.  (Anatolian, Akbash, Great Pyreneese etc.)

They are HIGHLY protective of the house and kids, big, but also protect my stock, and more importantly don't chase and kill the critters that I want to grow and eat.

My current dog is 1/2 Pyreneese, gentle with my kids, and I saw it lick a goat kid nose yesterday.  For strangers, he alerts, then follows my ques.  When I'm friendly, so is he.  He will also not allow a coon or coyote within 1/8th mile of the house or goats.  A VERY good dog.

Offline Skispcs

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 07:53:52 PM »
Best all around dog, hunting, watchdog, whatever would be a German Short Hair Pointer.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »
TWK I hadn't thought of that I dont raise livestock but Yeah for that those are Ideal.