Author Topic: Portland, Oregon junkyard fire Evacuation and SIP  (Read 496 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Portland, Oregon junkyard fire Evacuation and SIP
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:48:41 PM »
I didn't think this was a huge emergency, until they put out a 1 mile radius "Shelter in Place" and an "Evacuate" alerts. It is now a 5-alarm fire.

This is the current map of the 1 mile shelter in place zone. NOTE: red small circle in the very middle is the evacuation zone and those homes need to evacuate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PDXFire/status/973269289103908864/photo/1
PF&R & @PortlandPolice are now evacuating homes located NE 75th West to NE 72nd & NE Alberta North to Killingsworth.

Just a reminder all, smoke from burning tires include toxic chemicals of synthetic rubber compounds. Smoke may contain cyanide, carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and other dangerous chemicals. Extinguishing these fires is difficult.

Cedar
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:54:18 PM by Cedar »

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
Re: Portland, Oregon junkyard fire Evacuation and SIP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
I am about 4 miles West of the fire. The air was pretty bad with a pronounced darkening similar to the smoke from the forest fires last year.
No falling ash.
For those who know the area, it was across the side street from Gartner's Meat Market.

As soon as I noticed it I went in and turned off the furnace so no air was drawn into the house.
It lasted for several hours until the wind picked up blowing to the SW. It helped the air quality, but it still burned your eyes and throat a bit when outdoors.
The wind died by about 6pm and the smell returned, but not as strong.
Things are much better this morning.

As soon as I saw the smoke I tuned into a scanner app and listened to the Portland Fire activity. It took them awhile to order the evacuation and longer to have the Red Cross offer to come in to setup a shelter.
Listening to the broadcast it seemed they were competent, but not overly prepared to deal with the size of the problem. They ran out of foam and were debating on the radio as to where to direct the suppression effort and what to use.
They did mention several times the need for all the responding trucks to go through decontamination. I wonder if they will order the same for surrounding vehicles, homes and businesses.
Also discussed was where to direct the runoff from the water and the need to shut down the storm runoff system.

Good warning that something can happen nearby and force you to either evacuate or hunker down.