Author Topic: Austin, Texas bombings  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Austin, Texas bombings
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:37:51 PM »
A pair of package explosions that left two people dead in Austin, Texas, over the past 10 days share similarities and authorities suspect they are connected, police said.

The latest incident occurred this  morning; the other on March 2. In both instances, a resident retrieved a package that blew up when it was opened.

Both packages were not delivered via any mail services and both homes are those of African Americans.

Police were responding to a 3rd  "reported explosion" Monday afternoon, but details have not been released yet.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Re: Austin, Texas bombings
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
Third bomb package deemed related to the other two.

Cedar

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:21:29 PM »
Just saw this on news a little while ago. Things are getting bad when people stoop this low. I would say the devil is in the middle of it all. We have to be so careful of so much these days. So sad that it has come to this.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »
No one is pointing to hate crimes yet, but all of the people targeted are African-Americans.

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »
We have to be so careful of so much these days. So sad that it has come to this.
Do we really have to be so careful these days?

Murders are down from their height in the 90s. Police officers are dying in the line of duty much less than before (seriously, police LOD deaths peaked in the 70s), bombings in the US peaked in the 70s with some years having over a hundred. Crimes against children still exist but they did even in the halcyon days (Bath Massacre, the Moor Murders, etc)

We are more aware of the threats now, but that isn't the same as likelihood.

We should absolutely be aware and be ready, but we also should look realistically at probability.

But, as always,

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
You might be right about crime being down where you live. But every night when I turn on the tv where I live the first 15 minutes of news is who killed who. At least 2 to 3 murders everyday here and or attempted murders. Not to mention car break ins, robberies etc. I am stuck in between at least 2 cities where the murders take place every night. It has been slowly working up to where I am starting with car break ins and store robberies so far. So yes I do say here we need to be watchful

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »
1 hr ago:

Another explosion in Austin, not sure if it is related to the 3 others yet. 2 injured.

APD responding to Bomb. Hotshot call in the 4800 block of Dawn Song Dr. Two male patients transported with unknown injuries. Please avoid the area. Media staging area is 4635 SW Pkwy, corner of SW Pkwy and Boston Ln. APD PIO
7:16 PM - Mar 18, 2018

Cedar

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:15:57 AM »
Apparently this one had a trip wire and was a "a different level of skill".  Two injured.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-austin-explosion-20180318-story.html 

Police Chief Brian Manley also told ABC's "Good Morning America" that both men who were injured in Sunday night's explosion in the southwestern Austin neighborhood of Travis Country are white, unlike the victims in the three earlier attacks, who were black or Latino.

Offline Gregg Yows

• Prepper
    • Revolution Rock And Roll
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
Hey guys-

My old house is about a block from where the incident happened and I have been communicating with my friends and neighbors inside the area over the last 18 hours. Here are the highlights:

Details:

1.  "bomb" went off injuring 2 bicyclists about 8:00 last night in my old neighborhood "Travis Country". Rumors are it was disguised as a "For Sale" sign and was trip-wire activated. I'm guessing one of those info box things on for sale signs could have contained the shrapnel but no idea really. ATF is not letting out details of the device. 
3.  ATF came in and "locked down" 1600 homes in the hood including many of my friends and a guy from work.
4.  Lockdown continues over 16 hours later.
5.  ATF is going door-to-door searching cars, exterior of homes, and not saying much except they think the bomb was triggered by a trip wire.
7.  Travis Country is an upper-middle class neighborhood with homes from the 500K to 2M range in value.
8. Area looks like Ruby Ridge and Waco with all the trucks, FBI, ATF and first responders. Helicopters, etc...
9. Nobody died during this incident unlike the other bombings.

ATF is saying the reason for the lockdown was so that they could search the area in the daylight to make it "safe" for people. It has been light for 5 hours and folks are still being told to stay put.

That is all I know. I understand that this is a serial case now because of the other bombings in Austin...but honestly I don't think the ATF is doing themselves any favors with this massive show of force especially after I just finished watching Waco.

But...checking Jack's threat probability matrix, one could consider this a neighborhood-level event. If I had still been living there I would have had my preps ready to help my neighbors and probably not be affected assuming this ends quickly. Just another reason to prep.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 02:56:39 PM »
Thanks for that report, Gregg.  Hard to get that kind of info from the news stories.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 05:01:18 AM »
Explosion at FedEx near San Antonio could be linked to Austin blasts, FBI says. No I juries.

Cefar

LVWood

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »
Explosion at FedEx near San Antonio could be linked to Austin blasts, FBI says. No I juries.

Cefar

Last I heard the bomb which exploded at the FedEx sorting facility was destined for Austin.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »
Update: 1 Injury, treated on site.

Cedar

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:47 AM »
No one is pointing to hate crimes yet, but all of the people targeted are African-Americans.

Cedar

How can you conclude that?  A sample of 2-3 is not really anything.  I agree it's a more compelling headline.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »
Hope they catch the person or persons soon. Prayers go out to the injured that they heal fast..  We here are dealing with a shooting outside a school. School was on lockdown yesterday. Lady got out of her car to go pick up her child and was shot in the thigh.  School has a lot of police around it today. They think it was a drive by shooting and school was letting out at the time. The lady picking up her child was not the target. They haven't caught that person yet either.
I am hoping and praying that the bombs in Texas stop and they catch this person soon. They need to make examples out of these people that set off bombs and shoot people at schools. public hanging would be nice.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »
How can you conclude that?  A sample of 2-3 is not really anything.  I agree it's a more compelling headline.
A sample of 2-3 is something. However you are correct in saying that we have to be careful about the term "targeted". More accurately the injured of the first three attacks were African American. That is a data point worth mentioning.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »

Because no one was saying it was a hate crime yet at that point? Although every targeted person was black?

Cedar

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
I think the 2 with the bicycles were white.

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »
Because no one was saying it was a hate crime yet at that point? Although every targeted person was black?

Cedar

not saying that you are wrong, Cedar, but were the victims TARGETed or were they just there when the packages exploded.  The one by the for sale sign could have hit anyone walking that close to it.  The FedEx explosion could have hit anyone.
Or is this an area with 99% black inhabitants where a bomb would purposely hit a black victim? 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 02:08:20 PM »
not saying that you are wrong, Cedar, but were the victims TARGETed or were they just there when the packages exploded.  The one by the for sale sign could have hit anyone walking that close to it.  The FedEx explosion could have hit anyone.
Or is this an area with 99% black inhabitants where a bomb would purposely hit a black victim?

The comment was made at the initial 3 packages which were delivered to people's homes were the ones before the sale sign one, and before the 2 at fed ex. So the original 3, were all delivered to black people. It is currently not public who the ones at fed ex were to be delivered to in Austin.

The comment was by the police that it was not yet considered a hate crime targeting specific demographics of people. If it had not been the comment if the officer in charge in Aystin, I would not have considered it.

Cedar
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:21:26 PM by Cedar »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »
Most home invasions I read about are targeted, meaning the burglars knew who/what they were after.  Such as cash/drugs/guns specifically at that location.
Domestic abuse/stalkers target their victims. 

While it's slighted twisted, when I later learn a local crime was targeted (they knew each other), there's some small relief that it was not random.
Because when it's random it could be me or loved ones.

Sorry to digress. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Another explosion in Austin 33 mins ago.
transported ~30s male with potentially serious, not expected to be life threatening, injuries to St Davids South Austin.

9600 block of Brodie Ln in south Austin. Please avoid the area.

Confirmed that two packages located at two separate FedEx facilities in Austin/San Antonio area on 3/20/2018 are connected to the four previous package explosions that occurred between 3/2 and 3/18 in Austin, TX.

7 now.

Cedar
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:56:39 PM by Cedar »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »
Busy little bastard

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
The comment was made at the initial 3 packages which were delivered to people's homes were the ones before the sale sign one, and before the 2 at fed ex. So the original 3, were all delivered to black people. It is currently not public who the ones at fed ex were to be delivered to in Austin.

The comment was by the police that it was not yet considered a hate crime targeting specific demographics of people. If it had not been the comment if the officer in charge in Aystin, I would not have considered it.

Cedar

gotcha.  I was not aware of the details on those first 3 packages.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 04:10:08 AM »
Media reporting the bomber is dead after blowing himself up with explosives as police closed in. No announcements from LE yet.

I like the BBC. As of this posting they are simply reporting "US Media says the bomber is dead"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43484386

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 04:59:59 AM »
Good.

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 07:00:33 AM »
Chance of expensive trial and pricey life long incarceration? Zero.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
Chance of expensive trial and pricey life long incarceration? Zero.

Good news/bad news.

Still some chance there are undiscovered bombs out there. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 11:12:24 AM »
Apparently he used the same “exotic” battery for each bomb that allowed them to trace him back thru the foreign supplier.  How exotic, I wonder?

And what motivates a god-fearing, home-schooled, white kid to start blowing people up?

LVWood

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
And what motivates a god-fearing, home-schooled, white kid to start blowing people up?
That is the 64,000 dollar question isn't it.
He doesn't quite fit the profile.