Author Topic: a backpacking podcast talks preparedness  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
a backpacking podcast talks preparedness
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
On this week's edition of the First 40 Miles podcast, the two hosts discuss how backpacking naturally dovetails with disaster preparedness: http://www.thefirst40miles.com/174-scared-or-prepared/

This is about as gentle an introduction to prepping as I've heard.  Maybe it'll help a few people break the ice on this topic with family and friends.

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
Re: a backpacking podcast talks preparedness
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »
They did a pretty good job.
I love their podcast.  She mentioned emergency expo's she's had a table out at.  Wonder where they were? 
I seek out those types of shows.  Not too many around Tacoma, but we did drive to Portland once for one, but it was definitely more "prepper" than the show it sounds like she was at.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:59:52 PM »
I'll have to listen to that.

I don't usually like prepper conventions.  Too often it's overpriced gear we don't need, or quirky people with nothing to lose worried about the government spying on them.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »
She mentioned emergency expo's she's had a table out at.  Wonder where they were?
IIRC, they're in the Portland area.  I'm guessing it was somewhere nearby.

I liked their idea of keeping your bug-out stuff in your good backpack, stowed in its own inner bag.  That way when want to go recreationally backpacking, just the inner bag keeps the bug-out gear together.

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »

I liked their idea of keeping your bug-out stuff in your good backpack, stowed in its own inner bag.  That way when want to go recreationally backpacking, just the inner bag keeps the bug-out gear together.

Yes, that's a good idea! My hiking pack is huge, and most of my stuff is already stored compartmentalized in stuff sacks.  So, it wouldn't be too hard to just have my BOB stuff in another right next to it to swap out.  My fiancĂ© is gonna LOVE me needing more room to have that all together, lol :P

I don't usually like prepper conventions.  Too often it's overpriced gear we don't need, or quirky people with nothing to lose worried about the government spying on them.

Agreed! Wasn't a fan of the one we went to in Portland.  Don't think I'd go again.
We did go to one in Prosser a few years back.  It was much smaller, and not full of people trying to sell you stuff, only a few vendors.  AND, had the added benefit of being in wine country! May not have spent too much at the "expo"... had to save it for the fancy grape juice ;)