Author Topic: Less expensive option for drilling a well?  (Read 437 times)

Offline Txebb

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Less expensive option for drilling a well?
« on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:16 PM »
In my area of Texas, it costs around $20,000 to get a water well drilled (usually down to 300 feet). Anyone know any methods for a DIY well drilling that would be less expensive?  :-[

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Less expensive option for drilling a well?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
Dunno about TX, but here in No Utah, 200-300 is standard, and it can take a week or two depending on how many rocks.  And that is with the guy with the big truck and proper machine.  Pretty sure it also includes the casing around the hole so it doesn't collapse upon itself. 

shallower wells around here (certain places can have higher water tables) bring their own problems - water not fit for human consumption, easily contaminated.  Those places flooded last year, 6' of water in basements.

Personally, I wouldn't try it DIY on a well that deep.  Think of it as pre-paid water.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »
I second that.

Cedar

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:21 AM »
Just curious, but why is a well so expensive? What is the driving cost? My well was drilled in one day to a depth of 125'. This included casing and sealer around the casing. In and out in one day. I paid less than $3k for it. My brother's well was around 350'. The guy was there a couple days since he was working by himself. But it was less than $4k.

So what makes drilling in your area so expensive?

LVWood

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »
Rocks, Caliche, more Rocks, and Demand.

Offline Txebb

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Just curious, but why is a well so expensive? What is the driving cost? My well was drilled in one day to a depth of 125'. This included casing and sealer around the casing. In and out in one day. I paid less than $3k for it. My brother's well was around 350'. The guy was there a couple days since he was working by himself. But it was less than $4k.

So what makes drilling in your area so expensive?

Wish I knew. Since Texas is a drilling paradise, you would think it wouldn't be so expensive. Even at those prices, well drillers are booked solid with demand.  Regulations? Demand? Aridity? Labor shortage? Guess someone in the drilling business would have to chime in.

Talking to my neighbor, you can get a welled drilled for less but it wouldn't be according to regulations. But I've found some Texas companies that produce DIY well drilling equipment that I'll investigate further. $20,000+ would be a year and a half of mortgage payments, so it's an expense I will attempt to mitigate.