Author Topic: Citigroup to require businesses using them to not sell standard capacity mags  (Read 497 times)

Online Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
 https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-22/citigroup-restricts-some-gun-sales-by-its-business-customers

Basically they won't deal with businesses that sell guns to people under 21, bump stocks or "high capacity magazines" whatever that means.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
wish i had an account with them so i could close it in protest.

Online Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
I think it is damn important for us to not get separated from the rest of society by current moves.

Businesses get my wrath. Dick's won't get my business if they were the last place in town. Enterprise got a nasty gram from me. But I am holding fast to my anti-gun friends. I,am extra careful to not back down but be as informative but not unnecessarily antagonistic.  I cannot convince them to be pro-gun but I am building credibility as knowing more than anyone they know about guns and gun law.  If I say "this won't work" I am believed.  However it also means letting go of sloppy arguments. For instance i admit CCW will not end anti-social shootings and I will not claid otherwise. It just makes them shootings or small mass shootings. I don't claim CCW is a solution to anything. I work on changing the framing to CCW is the right thing to do. Not guaranteed outcome, guaranteed opportunity to try.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
It is very troubling to have large businesses work to force social change against freedom and the constitution. Wether it is large online monopolies, that claim to be open to all, restrict certain viewpoints, manipulate which viewpoints you see, to businesses like a bank or charge card not deal with legitimate, legal business, to stores not selling a product that they carry and sell, to parts of their legal customer base.....

Related is a disturbing trend to talk about what the majority want, rather than what this country was built on which is protection of the minority viewpoint based on natural law/rights.

There is a very disturbing trend going on here, and if it is not reversed we will be moving to visible corporate control, rather like many sci-fi stories I have read. And, we seem to be going willingly.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
It is very troubling to have large businesses work to force social change against freedom and the constitution. Wether it is large online monopolies, that claim to be open to all, restrict certain viewpoints, manipulate which viewpoints you see, to businesses like a bank or charge card not deal with legitimate, legal business, to stores not selling a product that they carry and sell, to parts of their legal customer base.....

Related is a disturbing trend to talk about what the majority want, rather than what this country was built on which is protection of the minority viewpoint based on natural law/rights.

There is a very disturbing trend going on here, and if it is not reversed we will be moving to visible corporate control, rather like many sci-fi stories I have read. And, we seem to be going willingly.

I definitely agree and these sorts of things seem more likely all the time and it is not just about firearms. On the upside, it seems there is widespread support for gun rights that never gets acknowledged by the media.

I am not sure all those sorts of things would stand up in court or if it was like how some credit cards a while back wanted to only work with restaurants who refused cash but it was not clear if they could really make that happen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-21/youtube-bans-firearm-sales-and-how-to-videos-prompting-backlash

"YouTube said it will prohibit videos with instructions on how to assemble firearms."
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:14:42 PM by surfivor »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-21/youtube-bans-firearm-sales-and-how-to-videos-prompting-backlash

"YouTube said it will prohibit videos with instructions on how to assemble firearms."

Here are YouTube's actual rules on that:

Policies on content featuring firearms
YouTube prohibits certain kinds of content featuring firearms. Specifically, we don’t allow content that:

• Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales (e.g., private sales by individuals) or links to sites that sell these items. These accessories include but may not be limited to accessories that enable a firearm to simulate automatic fire or convert a firearm to automatic fire (e.g., bump stocks, gatling triggers, drop-in auto sears, conversion kits), and high capacity magazines (i.e., magazines or belts carrying more than 30 rounds).
  • Provides instructions on manufacturing a firearm, ammunition, high capacity magazine, homemade silencers/suppressors, or certain firearms accessories such as those listed above. This also includes instructions on how to convert a firearm to automatic or simulated automatic firing capabilities.
  • Shows users how to install the above-mentioned accessories or modifications.

The rest of YouTube's policies are here.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
I am a little fuzzy here:

Citigroup Inc. plans to prohibit retailers that are customers of the bank from offering bump stocks or selling guns to people who haven’t passed a background check or are younger than 21.

The bank is imposing the restrictions on companies that use it to issue store credit-cards or for lending and other services, according to a memo Thursday. The lender also barred the sale of high-capacity magazines.

The 2nd point makes some sense, like Costco issues a Citibank Visa.  So for example Cabela's could not issue a citi card with their branding as long as they sell the prohibited stuff.

But what retailers are "customers" of the bank?  Darn near every FFL will accept a VISA credit card, and payment processing technology in place today has no meta-data about the good or service sold at the time of authorization.

Now, if somehow VISA, or MASTERCARD at the processing level decided to create merchant blacklists of gun dealers, that's a game changer.  I know some boutique FFL dealers that operate separate legal entities, one that sells the firearms, and the other strictly accessories.  That allows them to sell triggers, and other accessories while using institutions that prohibit actual firearms transactions.