Author Topic: Augason...Gluten FREE...BLACK BEAN BURGER $10.47 Today for #10 can  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
  OK,let me say that I am a meat eater,I don't even like it when turkey is disguised as ham or bacon...MEAT should taste like meat. But for science and my fellow TSP members who have tons of #10 cans and yet feel when they need it ,taste matters little.

I opened a can of the product and the waft of beef bullion and dust from King Tuts tomb blew into my face, smells sorta' like meat.
Then ,as dust cleared,I saw what appeared to be a 30% black bean,30% rice,30% rolled oats...and some kind of powder mix.
Holding back the urge to toss it to my ever hungry birds and forget it,I measured ONE CUP of the strange blend and added 3/4 cup of warm water...the mix took on a brownish color and consistency  of cookie dough after a few minutes.

I then got out my heirloom non-stick pan from the 99 cent store...only the finest and a spray can of vegetable oil,spray pan,place over heat.
The thin pan heated in less than a minute and I tossed an easily formed pattie of stuff on the heat,within seconds the dog showed up with nose to the stove.

At two minutes,I turned the meat-like substance and it began to look and smell like meat. I pulled it off the fire and added some butter to patty two and back to the fire....2 minutes ,flip...two more and turn off the fire. Still...this can't be good.....

I reached for a fork as dog reminded me of all the times she had made grill cheese for me when I felt bad.....it cuts and crumbles like meat.....it sorta' looks like meat....don't smell it....too late ,even smells like meat....Tastes more like meat loaf though and that is not a bad thing...slice of cheese and some mayo and it tasted like someone else's backyard hamburger...I can live with that!

I survived my first dip into the vegan pool....and yes , dog appeared to like it very much also...with a little catsup.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAVJ1UW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Augason...Gluten FREE...BLACK BEAN BURGER $10.47 Today for #10 can
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the review.

I'm a meat eater for the most part.  But I try to toss in some vegetarian meals each week.  We do a black bean burger recipe that works out well. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 10:21:29 AM »
Thanks for the review.

I'm a meat eater for the most part.  But I try to toss in some vegetarian meals each week.  We do a black bean burger recipe that works out well.

would love to see your recipe, it is hard to get a good bean burger recipe

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »
Okay... I have yet to comment on one of your review, but have been following...

This is the best yet :)
 :clap: 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:30:34 PM »
Awesome review Carl. I love it.  :clap:

Guess I'll put some in my shopping cart at Amazon and Walmart, then make an order when the bank gets filled again.  ;D

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:55:14 PM »
Observation

Most 'emergency' foods depend on carbohydrates for the majority of calories and most people should avoid that 'mix' when they are capable of a better balanced diet. Pastas,potatoes,rice,grains...all are not the best for people ,but they are simple to prepare and will keep you alive in a time of need. I really had not thought of dietary restrictions when I began the TASTE TEST and will continue testing different foods as I come across them in the groups rotation of long term foods...as while a hungry person might eat anything to stay alive ,I feel taste and variety are important for morale and health...I can always eat LESS carbs and live...even without my insulin....More foods to come soon.  FEEL FREE to add recipes,preparation notes and personal observations to help others .

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
That's because carbs store very well.  But you are dead on that we can all stand to avoid some carbs

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »
  My antenna making buddy JEFF tried the BBBurger and here is his comment,obviously done while eating more.....

Hey I made 4 tonight and tried one. I like it—kind of like meatloaf but a slight nutty taste. I like them as is but you could definitely mix with beef and I think it would be very tasty. Excellent backup for the camper thanks!

NOTE: they also taste great with a bit of bacon cooked with them.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
Good to hear Jeff's feedback.  Though if I had access to fresh ground beef and bacon, I think I'd make different meal.arrangements entirely ;)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
Adding on to Carl's review.
I finally got a can in and opened it. The wife made some burgers, very easy mix. Just follow the directions.

The price finally got down somewhat reasonable, 18. ish at Walmart.

We will be stocking more of this for LT.

Thanks Carl, wherever you are at. We miss you.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 04:30:45 AM »
Check WM and Amazon again. I'm seeing it for $12.10. Just over $65 on Amazon for 16 lb. bucket.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 08:38:06 AM »
Will do. Walmart has been doing the AmazonPriceDrop, plus they have added numerous second party vendors  ::).

Ayup. $12.10 is current. It was the biscuit mix that was 18.ish
3 cans of black bean burger mix will get you past the $35.00 free (no such thing) shipping

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
Yup that's the way I figgered it and correct on the shipping IMO. I haven't bought any yet though. Other priorities.