Author Topic: Blue Light Glasses  (Read 697 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Blue Light Glasses
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
This was news to me... It seems that our televisions and computers emit "blue light" which while perfectly normal and found in sunlight can disrupt healthy sleep as the lack of blue light is tied to the release of melatonin. Essentially our devices are convincing our brains that the sun is still shining and goofing our circadian rhythm.

The fix? Blue light glasses which block this wavelength of light. Does it work? Thousands of Amazon reviews say yes.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=blue+light+blocking+glasses&sprefix=blue+%2Caps%2C208&crid=21285BVNG4JPN

And Uvex makes a $10 version so if you're on the ffence it's cheap to try. I think I might tack it on to my next order.

The scientific community seems mixed, with reviews that use during the day won't do much if anything for you but use at night after sunset to let the eyes (and brain) believe it is night even though you are in front of a bright TV might well help people sleep better.

Any experience?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Blue Light Glasses
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
Makes sense to me. We have long known that screen use late at night keeps many people from falling asleep, and not just the being compelled to not turn it off, that the screen time itself can inhibit sleep

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:13:09 AM »
I have been listening to "Sleep Smarter" by Shawn Stevenson. There is extensive discussion about blue light from electronic devices, and its effect on sleep.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
  I have worn AMBER colored shooting glasses for 40 years and find less eye strain from PC monitors GLASS or FLAT SCREEN by using them and also adjusting the color of my monitor as our eyes see BLUE much better than other colors and so...I turn the blue down till it looks un-natural though ,in hours to days,the eyes and mind adjust till all looks NORMAL and I rarely have sleep issues due to computer eyes.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »
Interestingly, my Samsung  Phone has a "no blue" setting for the screen which I can turn off and on as well as schedule for it to come on and go off, too.

The Professor

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »
Apple's been doing something similar with their "night shift" feature: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207570

I've tried amber glasses and they're pretty good, but I'm using a little LED clip-on reading light now that seems to help at least as much.  It's white, but it reduces the total volume of light in the room.  Also easier to turn off and no glasses to remove when I do begin to doze off.

Going the full other way, I've got some blue-white "High Noon in the Desert" CFLs in a few lamps for when I want to stay wide awake while working on something into the night.  This works really well, and the awake effect goes away within minutes when I switch them off, letting me go from full-on to sleepy-time faster than trying to come down from a pot of coffee.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 10:24:34 PM »

I started using these last year because my eyes were bothering me. They seem to help a lot.  I work on the computer all day. These are reasonably priced, a lot of them go for $100 or more. I have two pairs which are probably 1.00x or something low power for now. I wear them every day

https://www.readers.com/hayden-tinted-readers-for-computers.html?showid=30996?p=wWfYAQH83V_252171_306534_8_18&i=1&sc_src=email_306534&sc_lid=16086022&sc_uid=wWfYAQH83V&sc_llid=252171&sc_eh=5d087a33678304ac1&utm_source=REA+TRAN-Order%20Confirmation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=REA+TRAN

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
My husband's Kindle has a blue shade feature that he has set to come on after 8. It really helps me as the glare from screens hurts my eyes in the dark. I can't watch TV or do anything on the computer in a dark room, I have to have a light on. I do try to limit screens as I get closer to bed time, but sometimes it's nice to wind down with a game of solitaire or something.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 09:03:56 AM »
but sometimes it's nice to wind down with a game of solitaire or something.
You could use (gasp) real cards for that  ;D