Author Topic: WOW,No more bland survival food ...Augason Farms Blueberry Pancake Mix  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Augason Farms Blueberry Pancake Mix  I found some of this on a forgotten pallet at the BOL.nearly 8 years old and past time to rotate it out...owner family said "re-order...dispose of outdated"  and so I thought it a good time for a test. I don't normally stand long enough to actually 'cook' for myself and dog...but I turned on the industrial cook top (flat stainless grill plate) and used a bit of coconut oil to the hot surface ...poured some of the mix on the griddle ...made a 30 inch pancake within a minute or two and already had the Honey/syrup already mixed and ready...wow this stuff cooks fast! I poured the last of the mix and more coconut oil on the grill-plate after cutting and stacking the cooked batch on a good tray.  The BLUEBERRY really comes out well and this was a real treat for both myself and dog.

At $8 for 5500 calories / PLUS syrup calories...this is a sweet treat that will cheer you up and fill you up! Prep time/cook time was only minutes and you can make a cup muffin too,not just pancakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms-Blueberry-Pancake-Mix/dp/B00FTETGAW/ref=sr_1_62?ie=UTF8&qid=1523455472&sr=8-62&keywords=10+cans+emergency+food

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
I'm so happy to see this today! I've had it in my Amazon cart for about a week and was still trying to decide. 
I added in the black bean burger and was about to buy both this morning.  I guess I'll keep it in there!
How is it stored in the can? Is it just loose powder? Or, a couple of packs like some of the others?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
I'm so happy to see this today! I've had it in my Amazon cart for about a week and was still trying to decide. 
I added in the black bean burger and was about to buy both this morning.  I guess I'll keep it in there!
How is it stored in the can? Is it just loose powder? Or, a couple of packs like some of the others?

It has up to 10 year storage ,my test sample was over 8 years old,and will last 6 months to a year once the can is opened. The ,just add water,product is not separately packaged,though a super-can may be available with Mylar pouches. I don't see any problem with using this within a short time,let alone 6 months as dog and I made pigs of ourselves with it this morning...she had it with extra butter and I had with the Honey powder/syrup blend that Augason also makes...I also see the Peanut Butter powder on sale and need to test some of that soon also as it is good for my morale to get calories that taste soooo good.

ONE measure of product to 3/4 measure of water is about right , and even 1 to 1 is OK if you have a pan to contain the product from running ,put some in a pre lubed can to make a cake with a bit of cook time .

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
Thanks!

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
I bought a can a couple months ago. Made waffles according to the directions on the can. I wasn't happy with them, too runny. I'll try again using much more fat (lard) rather than the oil called for and a different liquid. Maybe condensed milk. I got very little blueberry taste also. Doubt I'll buy again.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
I bought a can a couple months ago. Made waffles according to the directions on the can. I wasn't happy with them, too runny. I'll try again using much more fat (lard) rather than the oil called for and a different liquid. Maybe condensed milk. I got very little blueberry taste also. Doubt I'll buy again.

I have not done waffles yet and I use coconut oil (rich and slightly sweet)  I may go at waffles too,though I use real butter and less water for waffles when I take time to 'do' them...my flat grill surface just begs for poured on cooking...I do have a metal waffle maker that heats on top of the grill surface ...maybe I liked the mix as I have been mostly on a bland/canned diet for some time.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Keep in mind, in the context of survival food, calorie dense, high carbohydrates are useful and appropriate.
Though as a daily staple, few of us should be eating stuff like waffles. 

If you have fresh produce available, get your carbohydrates that way whenever possible.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
Keep in mind, in the context of survival food, calorie dense, high carbohydrates are useful and appropriate.

If you have fresh produce available, get your carbohydrates that way whenever possible.

So...the brownie mix is out of the question?  What does not kill me ,makes me stronger.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
So...the brownie mix is out of the question?  What does not kill me ,makes me stronger.

I'm a parent of a diabetic child.  A1C levels are as important as good grades or completed household chores. :D

Which reminds me, we need to talk about your last report card...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
Re: WOW,No more bland survival food ...Augason Farms Blueberry Pancake Mix
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
Like you aren't going to eat the grilled cheese that Brandi dog makes for you....

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »

That may be so but keep in mind food must be interesting also or it quickly becomes boring and uninteresting. You won't eat what you are not interested in.

Personally I like fruit cocktail on my waffles or pancakes.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »
That may be so but keep in mind food must be interesting also or it quickly becomes boring and uninteresting. You won't eat what you are not interested in.

Personally I like fruit cocktail on my waffles or pancakes.

:egyptian: :happydance: :clap:

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 12:31:17 AM »

I thought the main point of the Heavy G books I read was to make sure to have pancake mix for the kids.....

Likely this mix is much higher in sugar and additives than what I would do day to day. But, for non-diabetic, active kids like I raised, lots of carbs, every day. Pancakes; toast with butter and jam; toast with peanut butter; oatmeal; eggs and toast; left over pie; eggs with tons of ripped up corn tortillas and beans on the side; potatoes and eggs -- a nice hot breakfast, daily, with tons of carbs, but good carbs.... Very low sugar here, but alot of grains. Waffles every day would be fine, but alot of work. I dont like the non-stick coatings on the modern waffle irons, so mine had to make due with pancakes. ( since I realy dont like giving kids sugar, syrup is not generally used here, certainly never the puddles of it I have seen some kids do)

Carl, I dont know if you can convince me on the brownie mix, although I am sure it will taste fine. My storage has flour, coco powder, canned real butter, baking powder, sugar. When ww3 breaks out, I want real brownies ! ( I do have a few cans of peanut butter powder, gotta have peanut butter ! )

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 02:58:47 AM »
  Brownies do more than keep you alive....they make life worth living. :)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
We've opened the regular pancake mix and used, and the wife said she will adjust the recipe as they were too dry.
I have the blueberry in stock, unopened. I remember Red telling about his.

We won't get to the blueberry until the regular mix is used up, which might be a while as she mixes her biscuits from scratch, like pancakes.  ;D

I'll be anxious to hear your brownie review Carl. I have one can, unopened. Was planning on getting a few more.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
Waffles every day would be fine, but alot of work. I dont like the non-stick coatings on the modern waffle irons, so mine had to make due with pancakes. ( since I realy dont like giving kids sugar, syrup is not generally used here, certainly never the puddles of it I have seen some kids do)

you should look on eBay for a cast iron waffle iron.  We would make waffles 2-3 times a week, and wear out a waffle iron every year.  Now I have a cast iron one that goes on my stove and I love it!

Also, we use real maple, and the kids don't NEED puddles for sweet and flavor.  Although I am tempted to get the fake sugar junk for when we have guests, as those kids do make ponds of my expensive syrup that they don't even like cuz there is no sugar taste.   ::)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
I have a tendency to hide my real maple syrup.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »
Love maple syrup but it's very expensive here so I don't often have it.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »
Love maple syrup but it's very expensive here so I don't often have it.

I love it too and it has always been costly,even since the sixties.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:14:17 PM »
I only buy real maple syrup, never pancake syrup. Expense is the second reason they could use only a bit of it, in addition to keeping the sugar down

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
Yes we try and stretch those little $7.00 bottles. Probably about 2 a year....maybe.

We did a batch of blackberry syrup last year, and just had some. This year though, we need to get it cooked on down to syrup consistency, instead of just juice.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
I buy the real stuff fairly often, but in between I do make my own imitation syrup. I think it is better and closer to the experience of real maple syrup than the nasty thick stuff from the store packed with HFCS.

2 c. sugar
1 c. boiling water

bring to boil and boil a few minutes until all the sugar is dissolved... stir in 1/2 - 1 tsp. maple flavoring. This isn't too thick and tastes fine, especially when hot. My boys are crazy about waffles, so we use a fair amount of it...

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 09:32:17 PM »
I buy the real stuff fairly often, but in between I do make my own imitation syrup. I think it is better and closer to the experience of real maple syrup than the nasty thick stuff from the store packed with HFCS.

2 c. sugar
1 c. boiling water

bring to boil and boil a few minutes until all the sugar is dissolved... stir in 1/2 - 1 tsp. maple flavoring. This isn't too thick and tastes fine, especially when hot. My boys are crazy about waffles, so we use a fair amount of it...

My grandmother used to do this ! I helped her when a child, it is better than store bought, and maple flavoring and sugar store better as part of preps

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 06:36:47 AM »
That should store un refrigerated?
Wife used to do that when we would run out.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 07:05:17 AM »

2 c. sugar
1 c. boiling water

I'll have to try that. I like Steen's cane syrup. The stores price it like it's liquid gold, if you can find it. Well it is golden in color and the gold standard of cane syrups. Others I've tried are darker in color with a stronger almost bitter taste.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 08:30:23 AM »
Yes... store in the refrigerator... I like to use my old maple syrup glass bottles for this. Then it can be reheated in the microwave very easily.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's

Revisited this yesterday. I made pancakes. Added lard, baking powder, and powdered non-fat dry milk with just enough water to get the consistency I wanted. Worked OK but I still don't get a blueberry taste. Having left overs this morning as I type this.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  Did you add some of the 'flavor packet'???

HA HA, made you look.  The flavor is not powerful.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
  Did you add some of the 'flavor packet'???

HA HA, made you look.  The flavor is not powerful.

Ha Ha, no I didn't look. I did eat a couple of the little blue candies, meh they are blue that's about it.