Author Topic: Jarden (Ball and Kerr) Quality Contol  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Jarden (Ball and Kerr) Quality Contol
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:50:34 AM »
Opened a 2 boxes of RM lids yesterday while canning beans. I usually look at the seal before putting a lid on a jar. From one box I found 3 lids that the sealing compound had not completely filled the needed area. Pretty sure the manufacture of these is a fairly high speed operation but I know there are devices to enable high speed inspection. On other occasions I have found unopened cases of jars with damage to the bands and lids. Whether caused by the seller or the manufacturer handling I don't know. All still had the original shrink wrap. On another occasion I found a box of RM quarts that was missing 1 lid, that jar had a band just no lid. It also had the original wrapping and warehousing stickers on it, not a restocked item.

I'm sure these items are made by the multiple thousands and as a former QC person that stuff happens and it gets to the customer. It's a bit disheartening but not life threatening.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Jarden (Ball and Kerr) Quality Contol
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »
My husband has been reorganizing the storage of my empty canning jars and informed me today that he re-organized 30 cases of my empty jars today! This, of course, doesn't count those in use in the pantry... I think his point in mentioning this was that he thinks I have enough already... ha!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
Opened a 2 boxes of RM lids yesterday while canning beans. I usually look at the seal before putting a lid on a jar. From one box I found 3 lids that the sealing compound had not completely filled the needed area. Pretty sure the manufacture of these is a fairly high speed operation but I know there are devices to enable high speed inspection. On other occasions I have found unopened cases of jars with damage to the bands and lids. Whether caused by the seller or the manufacturer handling I don't know. All still had the original shrink wrap. On another occasion I found a box of RM quarts that was missing 1 lid, that jar had a band just no lid. It also had the original wrapping and warehousing stickers on it, not a restocked item.

I'm sure these items are made by the multiple thousands and as a former QC person that stuff happens and it gets to the customer. It's a bit disheartening but not life threatening.

I've gotten a few that the band was dinged, dinged hard enough it bent the edge of the lid. I didn't use the lids.

Also what I've found, new jars in the package have the band on too tight for me. It has the sealing compound on the flat already compressed some. Now whether or not that really hurts the seal, I'm not sure.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
My husband has been reorganizing the storage of my empty canning jars and informed me today that he re-organized 30 cases of my empty jars today! This, of course, doesn't count those in use in the pantry... I think his point in mentioning this was that he thinks I have enough already... ha!

Yea hahaha!! Tell him 30 ain't nuttin when times go south and yer over at the neighbors at midnight snitching tomatoes to can.  :rofl:

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 04:18:37 PM »
I've gotten a few that the band was dinged, dinged hard enough it bent the edge of the lid. I didn't use the lids.

Also what I've found, new jars in the package have the band on too tight for me. It has the sealing compound on the flat already compressed some. Now whether or not that really hurts the seal, I'm not sure.

I've seen a lot of damaged bands and a few damaged lid beneath them. Unknown where the damage happened. On the tight lids, I've had those also, used the lids and no problems so far.

Interesting side note, the last boxes of pints I got came from WM on sale. Not far and early in the morning. Put them in the house and shortly I could hear the lids pinging. Reckon the weather and my house were cooler that inside WM or something anyway.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
Yea. I'm curious how the bands get dinged hard enough to dent them. Sitting another case of jars on top should not do that, due to the cardboard.  :popcorn:

I've heard lids pinging in our storeroom quite often. Yea I'm thinking I've lost another jar.....nope, can't find any loose lids. Shrug?  :-\

Must be the new jars on the shelf above.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »
Best I can figure is the box got dropped a short ways, enough to dent the bands and the lids but not enough to break the glass. I've gotten a several boxes with band damage all on one side but not evenly, heavy on one end barely noticeable on the other. Dips***t warehousemen, glass didn't break so it's OK, ship it. I did inspection in a warehouse for several years, stuff like that wouldn't have happened, the guys had too much pride and also knew if I could it their boss would find out and they absolutely didn't want that.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 05:06:43 PM »
Yea hahaha!! Tell him 30 ain't nuttin when times go south and yer over at the neighbors at midnight snitching tomatoes to can.  :rofl:

Exactly!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
Best I can figure is the box got dropped a short ways, enough to dent the bands and the lids but not enough to break the glass. I've gotten a several boxes with band damage all on one side but not evenly, heavy on one end barely noticeable on the other. Dips***t warehousemen

Yer probably right on with that.